What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Whats the application? You can just put a length of 15mm between 2 of them and achieve the same, spendy way if going about it though.

Maybe if you explain then job that needs doing can suggest some options?

I have basically bought the wrong fitting for my speedfit pipes intended on feeding the bathroom sink once it is fitted. I had bought a pushfit 15mm - 1/2" female thread. The tails for the taps are also female 1/2" thread. I was hoping the male - male 1/2" threaded connectors were readily available for less than a couple of these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedfit-brass-push-fit-adapting-male-cylinder-coupler-15mm-x/23662

I'll end up just buying the above.

Soldato
Started to prep floor for anti fracture membrane prior to tiling and wasn't happy with the flatness. Got the laser level out and took measurements all the over and found a deviation of 24mm at the most. Faaaaar too much over a 2m span.

flat_reno_bathroom_newest_20.jpg

Cleaned up the floor, threw some more primer down and reflowed some self-leveling compound. Still drying up but early examinations with the straight edge look far better for flatness.

Soldato
kaf1UWP.jpg.png GOilJ9a.jpg.png
ZBTrCsg.jpg.png Smr9LOs.jpg.png

Bought a cheap Record plane from ebay, a couple of hours cleaning and fettling and it is working perfectly. Just need to buy a new Y-lever as the current one is a bit bent, but still works ok. Not bad condition for a 1940 ish plane, although I think the handles might have been replaced at some point as they look newer.

@Jasoncmor Nice work, its amazing what you can build from scrap wood. You might need to wrap some twine around the middle if you don't want larger birds gobbling up all the seed.

Last edited:
Associate
How much did you get that plane for if you don't mind me asking? Just got these: Stanley Number 5, Record Number 5 1/2 and a Paramo Plane Master Rebate plane. Little bit dirty, but almost no rust at all. Looking forward to getting them cleaned up and used. I only have a Cheapo number 4 and a stanley block plane at the moment.

gJj618gMnYFoFI2upQVQIT_M3dMu6Gu054q9NKuRpukLVv6NHCVrhMB7M8aB1YhwNmu-jHLX5rOCK22m1eg_I3WQev8fAlq-EJcGL5XrJ7oFa16xvTpy1goEMPnxrlS5gqUkRfS_DBk2QQEbhXzBTsiDhnJgwkvY5S7x3HBNT1l0JldEL-mYcMYE4pkUU_awKqoipaM9SStJVKd5s8gjAPdhSP1QwYejQ-1Exd7RcVZc2U2ypvLwUg6grVfrYpzi2E-yfzfhM4DORJYdNOiiF1BC6dF7kd3VrrNGABD5ed4jHftMVCeC9NeeM0c_YOLvgHY-K6mDlx5H95BbRKKnufyKVmwGM2zoO447ADhyhYFTsTWCi_rmwCwOPHwtezuSDX8Eo4AlSSu-Eoq-qyrJVJFLHLD32kGStGehGcSeyS8ST_ap75f0XBc6YIjMv9uWI45XgjJ3D37_VgambfJirZB_2AGVSRoQKgOwy-vXBmVmqn_nn3PQEi3_isSBTsNFlPHT3CvBeAzjBtFoFNlIq8y2YB5LDlJht0zAZm7FfYAt3IIUxcknZz5CFYAntk8qpCR6RX6-xV84od7eXmiIsaCNN9pVJflSXm7pkVj2gpHQA47PjBJwPJT8qlscjO-PtZC8s2kTGT6yCqSEWv1bfFw9pbxSSdmadqjwFbFRULnlIWgcMtdsTuyF-U65tmb-2zXvnqeHo-1bxg6BgyxxOqSeFg=w1070-h881-no

Dave

Soldato
New SLC down and its nice and flat! Very small 1mm dip in the middle but true across 90 percent of the area. Got the Anti Fracture membrane down. Should all be ready to start laying out, cutting and setting up tile tomorrow.

flat_reno_bathroom_newest_21.jpg

Man of Honour
Since I’m a man of leisure I decided to paint my fence. I’ve been meaning to paint it for over 4 years. [emoji23]

bf2a86ad7b8da7de0bc14bd5704c6b6a.jpg

Half way through but I ran out of paint. I’ll have to finish it off and add a second coat once the next week's worth of rain is finished.

Soldato
How much did you get that plane for if you don't mind me asking? Just got these: Stanley Number 5, Record Number 5 1/2 and a Paramo Plane Master Rebate plane. Little bit dirty, but almost no rust at all. Looking forward to getting them cleaned up and used. I only have a Cheapo number 4 and a stanley block plane at the moment.

Dave
Never put a plane down like that - always on its side!

The blade was retracted and it was placed down very carefully :). I always lay it on its side usually, just wanted to take a few snaps.

Nice, its great to see people buying these old planes and bringing them back to life. The down side is now everyone is selling them as "vintage" and selling them for like £50+. I managed to get the record for £15, which isn't too bad, but you can get them a lot cheaper at carboot sales etc.

Record planes tend to go for less as they're a lesser known brand, with Stanley being the most well known. Plus Paul Sellers and others have done lots of videos on doing up Stanley planes, which has raised awareness of them. I really want a Stanley 4 1/2, but they keep going for more than I'm willing to pay and I never get chance to frequent car boot sales to pick a cheap one up. The ones that do go for a good price online have usually been left outside and are totally shagged.

Soldato
I gave all my hand planes away when I got the tool of the month - A B&D electric plane - I then gave that away when I got a new Stanley electric plane - I then scrounged my B&D one back again when I found the Stanley one was way too big and heavy :rolleyes:

Soldato
Never put a plane down like that - always on its side!

I've never been a fan of laying my planes on their sides, more likely to nic the blade by something bumping into it.

I always stand my planes on their soles but then I don't nail or screw into my bench. As long as you keep your bench clean it's not a problem.
The other reason I don't like to lay a plane on its side is because if you bump it down it can move the blade laterally then your wondering why your not planing square.

Don't discount wooden planes too, the feel and finish from a well tuned wooden plane is like nothing else.

Associate
Nice, its great to see people buying these old planes and bringing them back to life. The down side is now everyone is selling them as "vintage" and selling them for like £50+. I managed to get the record for £15, which isn't too bad, but you can get them a lot cheaper at carboot sales etc.

Record planes tend to go for less as they're a lesser known brand, with Stanley being the most well known. Plus Paul Sellers and others have done lots of videos on doing up Stanley planes, which has raised awareness of them. I really want a Stanley 4 1/2, but they keep going for more than I'm willing to pay and I never get chance to frequent car boot sales to pick a cheap one up. The ones that do go for a good price online have usually been left outside and are totally shagged.

Yeah, I have been on the lookout for some for a while, but most people are after daft money for them. I paid £25 for all 3 of mine. A man on the next street to me saw me working out of the front of my house and came up to ask me if he was interested in some old planes that used to belong to a fiend who had passed away.

Dave

Soldato
Floor tiles dry cut and placed. Numbered and indexed against one another. 3 more to cut then will set them. Curve cuts around the quadrant were tricky but just had to spend lots of time measuring, profiling and cutting.

Really glad I reflowed another SLC as it would have been a nightmare otherwise.

flat_reno_bathroom_newest_22.jpg

Soldato
Yeah, I have been on the lookout for some for a while, but most people are after daft money for them. I paid £25 for all 3 of mine. A man on the next street to me saw me working out of the front of my house and came up to ask me if he was interested in some old planes that used to belong to a fiend who had passed away.

Dave
Thats a great price!

You might have already seen this, but if you haven't it's worth a watch.

Back
Top Bottom