Help find toilet spare part

Soldato
Hi guys, having an issue with one of our toilets overflowing which is very annoying. I've had to switch the water off for tonight, hoping to get a new part from B&Q, Wickes, Screwfix or someplace in the morning...

It fills up then starts overflowing into the toilet. You flush it, it fills up noticeably higher than it should, then starts overflowing into the cistern. We tried all sorts, removing the flush valve, checking the rubber seal seems fine.

I then figured out it's this part in the first photo highlighted pink - think it's called the inlet valve? (no idea truthfully)... We swapped the part from our other toilet, and it resolved the issue, and then made the 'working' toilet start overflowing, so it's definitely just this part needed to fix it.

But I don't know exactly what it's called, and scrolling through Ideal toilet spares, B&Q, Wickes etc so far and I can't see exactly what I'm after either! The toilet is an Ideal Standard E7998 if any of you guys can help. :D

TL;DR what is the part I've highlighted pink and where can I get one?

EDIT: Or even a universal part I can replace it with, just to stop it overflowing and get it working properly again?

elh7Fpq.png

aGsM2R6.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't mind doing that, just need to know the part so I don't buy the wrong thing. Or that the fitting is the same?

Looking online B&Q Wickes Screwfix and can see similar style ones, but unsure if they will fit universally or not...

I'm fairly DIY useless, unless it's tech related :D

Associate
Soldato
OP
This is comical, so I bought a new fill valve. But my stupid toilet is a closed cistern, watching YouTube videos I need to access underneath the cistern to undo the bolt, which then releases the fill valve so I can replace it.

No idea how to get to it. Found a small cap which I removed, I can see the water feed and bolt, but it's incredibly tiny you couldn't get any tools into it. I thought I might be able to undo the 2 bolts inside the cistern and lift it off and access the underneath of it. The screws just keep going and going, not slackening or held down by something else somewhere.

Any ideas how to get the fill valve out / access the underneath? :D

5mMyR2Q.jpg.png

5MGUXQJ.jpg.png

Soldato
OP
@Sin_Chase I've tried! I was expecting to be able to lift the cistern up.

The screws in the wall are out, the ones on the bottom of the cistern will not come out. They just keep spinning and spinning, as if they're coming out but doing nothing! I'm wondering if they have a thread underneath stopping it possibly.

It's baffled me, no idea how to get those out.

Soldato
It's not a full rod by chance is it? Tried holding the opposing side still and unscrewing the other?

It might be that some of captive nuts have come loose or otherwise defective similar fixing system. Got an impact driver or combi drill? Might be worth trying some speed to get the unscrew started.

Soldato
OP
@Sin_Chase no I don't think so, the screw and rubber washer is slightly lifting up, I can get my finger round and turn it but it's doing nothing, the screw will not slacken anymore up.

I've just tried holding the other side and doesn't change, still doesn't thread up. Don't have a drill at the moment, would have to get it from my parents place.

Peeing me off :( Probably gonna have to call a plumber out to do this daft job, just resent paying out for something that should be a 15 min job I can do myself, but it's not due to the stupid toilet cistern design lol.

Soldato
Another thing to consider is the original fitter may have thrown silicone between the cistern and the wall so it might not move as easy as you expect.

Soldato
OP
Can't find any manuals or diagrams, just many videos of the same toilet with exposed pipework of the water supply and inlet valve. My toilet is a close coupled design so there is no obvious access. :(

The silicone on the wall is a joke, there's a sloppy thin layer and you can see how awful a job they did on the last photo. It comes off the wall as if it was never even sealed - the issue is it just will not lift UP of the toilet base.

I've tried lifting it just incase the threads were loose enough to get it off, but no dice :p

Soldato
Million dollar question... Did the floor get cut to fit around the toilet base or was the toilet installed on top of the floor?

Looks like a bog out job.....

Soldato
OP
It's cheap vinyl floor the builders chucked in when the house was built. I can see it's been cut around the toilet base and siliconed in.

I've just found a close coupled toilet video, and those screws at the cistern base definitely need to come out! Just likely rusted or threaded underneath stupidly, so incredibly difficult to get them out.

May have to see if I can get a drill and bit to reach it, see if the power gets the screws out...

Seen on this video https://youtu.be/iaQFdzh4cOA?t=155

Soldato
OP
Managed to get it lifted, by holding the cistern up at one angle and going for the screw. Must've been caught underneath so wasn't un-threading. But by doing this we lost the bolts underneath the cistern...

So we've had to tear the silicone and pull the toilet away from the wall to get them... Now I need a bigger spanner to undo the water inlet valve, so I can replace the fill valve.

But by removing the toilet, I've been able to access the isolation valve, so that's now switched off and it's a job for another night! As I can switch the water back on... Geez, still have the en suite and downstairs toilet thankfully.

Should've just paid a plumber :D Fml

Soldato
OP
Mission accomplished tonight. Fill valve replaced and toilet back in service. The new one is a lot quieter and fills quicker too, happy days. :D

I did in the end have to pull out the whole toilet, to be able to access the isolation valve and water inlet valve, to get the bolt off so I could replace the fill valve - nightmare!

Ironically my plumber friend I text last night, text me back this evening just as I'd sorted it saying he'd sort it for £25. If any of the other loos break and do the same thing, I'm giving him £25 to sort it next time. :p

Thanks for the support @Sin_Chase lol

Back
Top Bottom