• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I'm going to get the 8 core variant then in 4 years time parhaps, I could upgrade it to 16 cores when they're really cheap on ebay. That would be a 100% CPU performance increase without changing motherboard :D

Associate
I'm hoping a possible 16/32 runs a bit hot for most coolers so it's worse under xfr clocks compared to the possible 12/24. That way I can feel better about spending less money :D
Considering this is an over-clockers forum and based on the one official AMD demo of Zen 2 I doubt many people here will have a problem running a 16C Ryzen 3 at stock speeds due to cooling limitations.

Soldato
Soldato
Getting excited I must admit. I have lots of paintball videos and want to up my game with music, effects and music so am gonna need a better workhorse, but also want to game decently still.

Ended up blowing my CPU fund on my daughters Birthday lol. After my folks have been to visit (gotta spend money on new railings, door frames, doors, trim, queen bed etc before them come), I will start saving again after that (mid June). Hoping I can still purchase and run at least a 12 core in my B350 board until I save up enough for a decent 570 board. If so I will be aiming for Navi before the MB upgrade.

Soldato
Damn, I was really hoping they'd be available in June. July is still quite likely but it does mean that Computex might just be another teaser, with a potential paper launch at E3. At least Q3 gives a bit of certainty.

The sooner the better. I need motherboard, CPU and GPU now as I just sold my 1070. It will be good to have an all AMD build up once again. Last one was Athlon 4200+ and X1950pro, K8N Neo 2 Platinum modded to take faster CPU. Still running today :)

Associate
So wrong.

Current processors will work just fine given the way operating systems work.
Given the problems I'm seeing with people still on quad cores, I'd have to disagree. Most of those having issues are gamers or content creators though, so not the avg joe, but as the people who push the requirements for PC's are gamers, content creators and data centres, it stands to reason that the default avg joe PC is going to need an upgrade as programs start using more of their system's potential.

Soldato
Given the problems I'm seeing with people still on quad cores, I'd have to disagree. Most of those having issues are gamers or content creators though, so not the avg joe, but as the people who push the requirements for PC's are gamers, content creators and data centres, it stands to reason that the default avg joe PC is going to need an upgrade as programs start using more of their system's potential.

I'd say for anything taxing 4C4T has had its day. I see 100% all core regularly now on my 2500K.

Soldato
I'd say for anything taxing 4C4T has had its day. I see 100% all core regularly now on my 2500K.
Sadly I have to agree. (or not sadly).
For example. my 4690K can play RUST just fine. But when I load a build tutorial on YouTube in a window on a second monitor and also pull up a server map I definitely have problems, the video will jump and I will lose FPS. Looking forward to Ryzen 3000

Soldato
I think moving forwards, game engines (from the ground up) won't be written for "8 cores" or "12 cores". They will simply be coded for "many" cores. And will scale, using as many cores as available. Which would lead to a massive boom in core counts for the desktop.

Soldato
Thats mad when you think what Intel still charge for a 9900K.
True but remember that whilst the R7 1700 is fantastic value for people who need the cores, an i9-9900K is clocked around 50% higher (all core boost). The R7 1700 can be overclocked of course to maybe halve that gap.

Soldato
True but remember that whilst the R7 1700 is fantastic value for people who need the cores, an i9-9900K is clocked around 50% higher (all core boost). The R7 1700 can be overclocked of course to maybe halve that gap.
Even overclocking one won't half the gap, the difference in ipc is huge between 1st gen and the i9. But if your on a budget it's ideal

Back
Top Bottom