Plumbers help please - bottle trap to plastic waste pipe

Soldato
Good evening all,

Plumbing novice here but need some help.

We have a bathroom with a bottle trap waste that comes from the bathroom sink and into the external wall where this connects to plastic piping.

However whoever installed this (was like this when i bought the house) has literally installed it where the metal from the waste trap runs into the pipe.

Checking this video, it seems there should be a rubber connection type thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDdmfOrVieM

which mine is missing, as a result when draining water from the sink the flow vs lack of gravity between the two pipe connections makes a small amount of water trickle back and leak into the bathroom/wall.

I have no idea what this rubber thing is called, or if there is a better alternative to connect the metal waste pipe (smaller diameter) to the plastic external waste pipe inside the wall.

I hope the above makes sense.

Regards

Soldato
OP
i like to keep things tricky!

Plus the faff of uploading pictures annoys me!

I think in short i just need to know if there should be a compression fitting of sorts between the chrome waste end of a bottle trap > Plastic external waste pipe.

I will try get a picture tomorrow morning before work.

Soldato
My setup is all plastic but i had a similar leak. Took the entire bottle setup to a plumbers merchant and they pointed out a conical rubber washer was missing from the join. 50p or something.

Yes it works much like a compression fitting - place rubber washer over tube after lock collar, insert firmly into bottle, tighten.

Started leaking again when builders tugged the waste pipe out an inch from the outside last week though :mad:

Soldato
Pictures speak a thousand words.

My guess is the metal pipe isn't a standard OD/ID size. First call would be a McAlpine coupler in a suitable size, probably 1 1/4" for a basin waste.

Soldato
OP
Pictures speak a thousand words.

My guess is the metal pipe isn't a standard OD/ID size. First call would be a McAlpine coupler in a suitable size, probably 1 1/4" for a basin waste.

Yeah the Alu pipe is 1 1/4" and the waste (plastic) looks a standard.

The issue is now due to the existing lengths or pipe in place already i think i will need to get a longer one (plastic or Alu) and a coupler, as otherwise in the current situation the coupler will have to sit in the wall hole which is not big enough for one!

I will try and get a picture tonight. Thanks for all the help so far.

Soldato
A trap connects to the pipe via a lock nut with a plastic washer and the rubber conical compression seal, are you saying the seal is missing? In which case water should be ****ing out everywhere every time you run water down it, or are you saying the trap outlet is a different size to the pipe in which case the locknut isn't compressing the rubber enough to seal the gap? Or do you mean there's nothing connecting the pipe from the trap to the pipe in the wall?

It's kind of hard to figure out what you mean really.

Associate
There are 1 1/4 inch and 1 1/2 conical washers and 'O' rings that are available in DIY stores to ensure water tightedness at joints & where transition of P trap spigot meets waste connection (A few turns of PTFE tape is always useful to ensure seals (fitted snugly in correct placement) and O rings are watertight)

Back
Top Bottom