Adjusting french doors

Soldato
So i was looking at my doors yesterday and noticed the bottom doesnt engage properly. I've attached a couple of pics.

y4mjjVhYKSRBqTPK7giMayV8t1eLgyT-X2IR9ipk2acnZirzh5WYDy71elmy5scUhBKtsZIHv1q4NMHYrQbg22KWH0csVRNMQGTcQSlU95TNJpoQ2Ztm08p99nqUzhH3pqiH3zxWcSSCUNM3VZ8r4zFKRR43Siv9UMMeG1dQlPZTKXQ-jMipCNWa_vCF8h8uiwnf1UAjPpLgzuZlSlHHY6Axg

So looking at this picture, its the lower part of the right hand door (both lock).

y4mU5PzsTxTAI-WN3XeS9UEeoPaI6yWo85pulQdLBaC-PIWO0_o-44PNQC9rAoJozrxKGsHWiCuds_Km_BsAkvM2HU6klW14WlULY9hx2y9VZH2lnHqE3JSuTM0jgWxmfglb2yGg6QceakHLOuJUWA5z_KL0T8FLBa1Cpk4ivflJ_OlSZ3SfdDorG44EfUE_OYXeYFABy00WHQbdX827SJWdg

This second picture shows the door in the 'locked' positon. You can see what i mean that theres a gap. I've tried adjusting the bolts on the lower part of the locking side but that didnt seem to do anything. I've also tried adjusting the compression on the hinges (which are a T hinge), but i couldn't get anymore adjustment and i didn't want to break anything. Any ideas? I can push the door closer from the outside but i've no idea why its not straight all the way along.

Cheers

Soldato
Do the doors have external hinge plates? No my Conservatory the doors need adjusting after a hot spell, i whip the hinge cover plates off and adjust the two screws (allen head bolts) one gives side to so an the other does up and down but together they will bring the door in closer to the frame, its trial and error but you will get a feel for it as you go.

Soldato
OP
Do the doors have external hinge plates? No my Conservatory the doors need adjusting after a hot spell, i whip the hinge cover plates off and adjust the two screws (allen head bolts) one gives side to so an the other does up and down but together they will bring the door in closer to the frame, its trial and error but you will get a feel for it as you go.
There is some adjustment but i think its maxed out. I'm going to see about getting a wider diameter 'sleeve' turned at work and see if that just sorts it. I dopn't want to go too ham fisted incase it breaks.

Soldato
OP
Just a quick update, had a play last night and adjusted the bottom hinge laterally which fixed it. However a couple of hours later it had moved again. I couldn't see a locking grubscrew for this hinge but i'll check again and i will adjust the middle hinge as well. Anyone else had the issue of them moving over such a short space of time?

Associate
Does the door have any sun on it at all? In my old house the back door has sun in the morning, which made the door close and lock well, in the evening when cooled down you had to force the door to close.
No matter how I adjusted it it was one way or the other!

Soldato
OP
Does the door have any sun on it at all? In my old house the back door has sun in the morning, which made the door close and lock well, in the evening when cooled down you had to force the door to close.
No matter how I adjusted it it was one way or the other!
Yes unfortunately, gets full sun from about 1pm onwards. It was about 6pm when i adjusted it, however when i went to show my mrs at about 9pm it had moved. Ill attack it again tonight and see what happens.

Soldato
OP
Another update for anyone that's interested. I've adjusted the bottom of both doors and the middle of one door. I did that yesterday and 24 hours later it's still good so will wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom