World of Warcraft: Classic

Soldato
OP
I’m defo RP (better crowd in the main), but torn between PvP and PvE (if there’s even an option).

Open world PvP definitely changes the game, but I’m not sure if I could put up with the constant threat, especially levelling in STV.

You weren’t there maannn.

STV... Dear lord, my 2 mains were a rogue and hunter, every other step I'd be in stealth or laying down freezing traps and flare lol.

I think I'll go PvE simply because I want a chill experience this time round.

Caporegime
So for many folk like me who came from that, WoW was a good fun game, but more of a co-op RPG than an MMO like we were used to.
I didn't want to be "that guy" in this thread, but yeah. Coming from EQ (never played UO), WoW - even vanilla - was a good chunk more "theme park" and a less a "world". Without even mentioning the drop in difficultly between the two. Or the commitment required.

Ie the floating "!" to signify a quest giver. The legions of people who took quests without once reading the quest text. The GPS tracker than meant you could run to your destination just looking at the overhead map. The mobs that couldn't chase you very far before rubber-banding. Being able to see in the dark as any race. Being invulnerable on corpse runs. Soloing levelling and solo gearing up.

So it's funny to hear people talking about classic WoW compared to "easy-mode" modern WoW.

However it should be noted that modern EQ is pants-on-head crap compared to 2001 EQ, having decided to imitate WoW after the latter become wildly more successful. Whilst ~2001 EQ is a memory I will always remember fondly, I wouldn't recommend modern EQ to my worst enemy.

Associate
Then the cry baby generation moan that 1-60 takes to long and its gradually made easier and easier. Sometimes i wish that gaming never exploded like it did and we kept PC gaming at least a niche hobby.

Instead of listening to the masses blizzard should have said "If you don't like leveling, tiered progress raiding, speaking to people to form groups to achieve objectives then maybe MMOs ARE NOT FOR YOU"

But we know that would never happen since blizzard (more so activision) only see the dollar signs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't want to be "that guy" in this thread, but yeah. Coming from EQ (never played UO), WoW - even vanilla - was a good chunk more "theme park" and a less a "world". Without even mentioning the drop in difficultly between the two. Or the commitment required.

Ie the floating "!" to signify a quest giver. The legions of people who took quests without once reading the quest text. The GPS tracker than meant you could run to your destination just looking at the overhead map. The mobs that couldn't chase you very far before rubber-banding. Being able to see in the dark as any race. Being invulnerable on corpse runs. Soloing levelling and solo gearing up.

So it's funny to hear people talking about classic WoW compared to "easy-mode" modern WoW.

However it should be noted that modern EQ is pants-on-head crap compared to 2001 EQ, having decided to imitate WoW after the latter become wildly more successful. Whilst ~2001 EQ is a memory I will always remember fondly, I wouldn't recommend modern EQ to my worst enemy.
I agree. You know you are playing a hardcore (broken?) game when the devs have to come rescue your guild because 30 naked players still cannot retrieve their gear after 6-8 hours of trying - opening few nights of PoF :D

Associate
Apologies if this has already been covered, but are we getting the "old" Alterac Valley battleground back? The one that would last days not minutes and actually be a war not just a "honor per minute" stat.

Don
Apologies if this has already been covered, but are we getting the "old" Alterac Valley battleground back? The one that would last days not minutes and actually be a war not just a "honor per minute" stat.
It’s the 1.12 version which was the rush to the opposing faction leader bypassing everything else version.

Soldato
I’m defo RP (better crowd in the main), but torn between PvP and PvE (if there’s even an option).

Open world PvP definitely changes the game, but I’m not sure if I could put up with the constant threat, especially levelling in STV.

You weren’t there maannn.

Haha, I only ever played on an RP server (Argent Dawn) in vanilla, but I remember the tales of ganking in STV on pvp servers xD

Maybe we should have a poll nearer the time.

Associate
It’s the 1.12 version which was the rush to the opposing faction leader bypassing everything else version.

I'm not familiar with the versions sorry. Is that the one with all the PVE elements gutted out? I remember controllable goblin shredder units, cavalry charges, some kind of eye/orb items? etc from the version I enjoyed the most.

Soldato
OP

100% agree, but I feel it's a huge part of it's success, it open the doors to a lot of casual players, my self included at the time and was a gateway to incredible games and a passionate hobby. Current WoW is even more so of s theme part MMO as you put it, which is why so many are flocking from it. It's TOO accessible now, no real sense of achievements anymore.

I also liked the co-op aspect as it's how a lot of us new to PC gaming made friends online and then branched away from WoW.

I really do feel it will have the same impact on a lot of younger gamers today, not on the same scale as it's slow and old compared to modern games. But I certainly think they will have a lot of new players.

Pet Northerner
Don
Because imo (and its only my opinion), a proper MMO should have dungeons which are not instanced, it should have risk vs reward, a proper death penalty where you potentially suffer actual losses when you die (not merely a loss of time in running back to where you were), it should lean far more toward necessary grouping and less toward soloing

These were the reasons I was in love with Legend of Mir

Soldato
Depends on what level of guild we are talking.

Personally I wont be interested in a so-so casual guild, I want to be in contention for world first kills.

Unless you have quit your job and join one of the pro / semi pro guilds you'll unlikely be in contention for any world firsts. With all due respect a forum start up isn't going to have the maturity of an established outfit or the organisation.

As someone who was in a world top 5 guild fighting for firsts I wouldn't ever do it again. Things have moved on a lot since then also. It was still possible to hold down a job and remain competitive then, not now!

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Unless you have quit your job and join one of the pro / semi pro guilds you'll unlikely be in contention for any world firsts. With all due respect a forum start up isn't going to have the maturity of an established outfit or the organisation.

As someone who was in a world top 5 guild fighting for firsts I wouldn't ever do it again. Things have moved on a lot since then also. It was still possible to hold down a job and remain competitive then, not now!

What? You can be in a world first guild and still have a full time job. You just need to book off X amount of annual leave or whatever when the new raids come out.

Soldato
What? You can be in a world first guild and still have a full time job. You just need to book off X amount of annual leave or whatever when the new raids come out.

It wont be like current or even 5 year old WoW.

No established Auction House, Massive Gold flow etc. Ragnaros in Classic gear will require Fire Absorption Potions etc all of which will require a decent amount of time investment outside of the raid itself. It's not a case of now where you tip up 5 minutes before the raid start time, buy some consumables and off you go. Ingredients for 1 Flask makes 1 Flask, 1 pot makes 1 pot etc. Chugging pots on the 2 minute timer every 2 minutes was soul destroying and you needed to do it even on practice runs.

If they are sticking true to Classic WoW as it was then there is actually a proper grind element.

Caporegime
It wont be like current or even 5 year old WoW.

No established Auction House, Massive Gold flow etc. Ragnaros in Classic gear will require Fire Absorption Potions etc all of which will require a decent amount of time investment outside of the raid itself. It's not a case of now where you tip up 5 minutes before the raid start time, buy some consumables and off you go. Ingredients for 1 Flask makes 1 Flask, 1 pot makes 1 pot etc. Chugging pots on the 2 minute timer every 2 minutes was soul destroying and you needed to do it even on practice runs.

If they are sticking true to Classic WoW as it was then there is actually a proper grind element.

Just thinking of grinding arcanite crystals for cashflow make me shudder.

Back
Top Bottom