*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Associate
Do you still not get ash on the steak whilst it's cooking?

A little bit yes, you’ll also get little bits of charcoal stuck to it, so it can be a bit gritty. I do enjoy a dirty steak, but only once in a while.

I think it’s more of a trendy thing that looks better in pictures. Cooking in a pan/on a bbq is much more consistent and less hassle, and the grittiness isn’t especially pleasant. The flavour is nice, though.

Soldato
I've not found them to be gritty at all really but the flavour is much better, the fat crisps up nicely too. I ended up doing the pork rib steaks I had for last night that way too at request of the missus as, "everything tastes better BBQ'd!" She's learnt well!

xhxTI99h.jpg

Soldato
Just a nice spatchcock and some baby backs

wYr0Iyy.jpg

Mp21rLe.jpg

My spatchcock chicken is by far one of my favourite dishes I make, so simple and easy but so tasty and so moist. Not sure if he was just being nice or not but once had a friend say it was the best chicken he has ever had so its a win in my books.

I sharpened my knife just for those ribs so my knife would glide through and not squeeze any juices out. Worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
What's your method on the spatchcock chicken? Looks delicious!

Just cut out the back bone and then flip it over pressure the breasts to break the bones/cartilage (i dont bother cutting a v like some people as in reality its no different to a bit of force) until the legs are at the same height as the breast (sometimes this won't work if the chicken is too big but it doesnt matter too much).

Generously coat it in whatever rub I have or am making and stuff some under the skin (make sure you get it in all the folds too). At this point start the coals going as you want it to sit in the rub for a little while.

Get the bbq going at around 225 and direct heat it to colour the outside to desired look/crispyness (today it was about 10 on the bottom side and 15 on the top)

Then coat it all over in whatever sauce you want (I cheated today and bought some from waitrose as I was already making my own sauce and mop for the ribs)

Move it over to indirect heat until the legs reach about 71C and breast reaches about 83C, (as its been flattened this should happen at exactly the same time). Time is all dependant on how big you the chicken is so its best to go off of temp than timing for more consistent results.

Add more sauce whenever the outside is looking a bit dry about 20/30 minutes usually but dont add anymore 20/30 minutes before taking it out as you don't want to be eating it dripping in sauce.

Today as I was smoking my ribs the chicken also got a little bit of smoking from some hickory chips but i only put two handfuls in whilst the chicken was on so the legs only had a very slightly smoke ring on them the breast had virtually none.

The real key is meat quality, as with all bbqing the meat is the main bit so get the best you can. My butchers is great but pricey that chicken was around £9 and a fiver for the ribs. But getting good quality corn fed grade a chickens means it will cook so much better and hold the moisture a lot more.

Edit: I've realised that was a bit of block of text so gonna go back over and tidy it up for you. :)

Soldato
Spatchcock is a brilliant way to cook chicken, so simple and it's always worked out great for me.

Your second picture is the same as the first, I want my baby back baby back baby back RIBS picture.

Soldato
Spatchcock is a brilliant way to cook chicken, so simple and it's always worked out great for me.

Your second picture is the same as the first, I want my baby back baby back baby back RIBS picture.

There we go fixed it! Was just two photos before and after cutting. Twas only a small rack as we already had a quarter of chicken each (Half was for tomorrows dinner)

Soldato
did you do it on foil? I've found I get mental fires sometimes with the chicken just on the rack...

No foil, shouldn't really get fires as when it's over the coals directly there's no sauce to drip down and flare it up and then over indirect the sauce will either drop down into the drum or into a tray if you have one under.

Soldato
No foil, shouldn't really get fires as when it's over the coals directly there's no sauce to drip down and flare it up and then over indirect the sauce will either drop down into the drum or into a tray if you have one under.

you not get fat dropping from the chicken? I've done a few now and had flare ups, usually keep a wee spray bottle beside the bbq just to put anything out!

Soldato
you not get fat dropping from the chicken? I've done a few now and had flare ups, usually keep a wee spray bottle beside the bbq just to put anything out!

No can't say I've had it happen or noticed it although I do keep the lid on it the entire time unless I've put some new coals on then I'll leave the lid off for 5 to help them catch quicker.

Soldato
Another thread to bookmark here...I'll be barbecuing tonight - gas I'm afraid. I've got some of those Aldi Chili Bratwurst, made up some hot chicken thighs and some Keith Floyd burgers, which I'm hoping are great.

I've just got to try and get the timing right now...

Soldato
Callow smoker has now been ordered to go alongside my Weber master touch, really tempted with a smokey mountain but I just couldn't justify the cost given how much the setup has cost so far and the reviews for the callow are excellent given the price... Maybe next year (or if it comes on offer over the cold period) if it's getting regular use :)

Tried a pulled pork overnight in the Weber yesterday but my snake went out for some reason... Still cooked it through so I'm going to finish in the oven later.

Soldato
I'd imagine Keith Floyd burgers to be somewhat flammable!

Hahaha. Surprisingly, they don't contain alcohol. The recipe was something like, 700 g beef (and he recommends chopping it instead of mincing, but I wasn't going to do that), 1 hard boiled egg, 1 tbsp chives, 1 tbsp parsley, 1 tsp garlic granules, 1 tsp onion powder, and before barbecuing them to coat the top in mustard. Sounds a bit odd, and I skipped the egg, but man were they good!!

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Hahaha. Surprisingly, they don't contain alcohol. The recipe was something like, 700 g beef (and he recommends chopping it instead of mincing, but I wasn't going to do that), 1 hard boiled egg, 1 tbsp chives, 1 tbsp parsley, 1 tsp garlic granules, 1 tsp onion powder, and before barbecuing them to coat the top in mustard. Sounds a bit odd, and I skipped the egg, but man were they good!!

yeah I dont put egg in my burgers either..i prefer the looser texture that I get without the egg

I put a little bit of sticky/spicy barbecue sauce in the mix to help bind..also helps get a bit or caramelisation on the outside

Soldato
That chicken looks fantastic.. I do love chicken done on the BBQ but never do it enough!

Thank you, it was indeed fantastic and just as good the following day served with salad for dinner. I try and bbq my chickens as much as I can as it is so much tastier than roasting them but as I have no sheltered area to bbq its all weather permitted! The small amount of extra effort it takes is 100% worth it, so next time you've got a whole chicken and the suns out I want no excuses from you and get the barby out.

Back
Top Bottom