South West England in May

Soldato
Afternoon chaps,

My wife’s booked a cottage for us for the last week of May, which is just outside Tiverton. I must admit that I don’t really much about the area, and for what we’ve paid, I’d have rather have gone to the south of France, Spain, Greece or somewhere, but, c’est la vie. So, I was just wondering whether there are any days out/attractions within a 2-3 hour drive from Tiverton people would recommend, and any restaurants/pubs etc locals might recommend?

Cheers!

Don
Tiverton really is in the ****-end of no-where...

Anyway, in 2-3 hours you can pretty much reach all areas of that part of the country or even Cornwall. Ilfracombe / Woolacombe are nice beach side towns, you could reach Dartmoor and Exmoor national parks from there too. St Ives or Lands End are both achievable in your journey times too.

There's a Diggerland nearby too, if that's your kind of thing.

Associate
If you have kids with you and they like trains I would highly recommend Pecorama in Beer. It was great fun for a few hours, we stopped there on the way down to Cornwall.

Soldato
Let me guess, she'd been nagging you to do it and you didn't book anywhere, so she went and booked basically anything, now you have to pretend the place you're going is fine or she'll kick off. Have fun.

Man of Honour
A little bit further out but Tintagel is potentially worth a visit and if you are generally in the area Bristol and Bath have plenty of opportunity and not too far away given proximity to the M5.

Also Cheddar Gorge generally within range and worth a day out. Another possibility head down the A30 and Jamaica Inn - also fair amount to do around Exeter or Plymouth while you are that way.

Soldato
Tiverton is pretty much bang in the middle of Devon, your an hour away from Exmoor, Minehead, Exeter and numerous other places. If you fancy a day out on Exmoor, there's a nice pub in Exford and good tea room/cafe in Withypool, which is often a stop gap for people walking to and from the Tarr steps national reserve. If you really wanna go wild, Diggerland is about 15 minutes away from Tiverton, just north of Cullompton

Soldato
A few spots/activities that are pretty close to Tiv just off the top of my head... (source, living nearby for ~12 years)

Exeter... it's quite a busy place but could do you for an afternoon... has the Cathedral + historic Quayside, the latter has some reasonably nice places to eat or sit for a beer in the sun (try "On the Waterfront" who do a great Pizza)
Topsham... small but quaint town by the river along from Exeter, has some nice places to eat like the Pig + Pallet, and an amazing little pub called The Bridge Inn that do an incredibly pasty
Exmouth... is a bit on the tackier/touristy side but can be pleasant enough for a walk if the weather is good. If that really turns you off Budleigh Salterton is much quieter for a tranquil walk (but is a pebble beach)
Speaking of beaches all of the good ones are on the North coast - Croyde, Saunton, Woolacombe etc. are closest to Tivvy in North Devon (maybe 45 mins away) but go further West and you're into Cornwall which is full of good ones
Closer to Tiv again maybe Otterton Mill which is great for a cream tea and a walk
As others have said, Lydford Gorge... there's a thatched pub on the way there called The Bearslake Inn that is absolutely incredible, maybe the best pub garden I've ever seen
If you've got bikes you could do the Granite Way (Okehampton to Lydford), or if you can travel further the Camel Trail (Wadebridge to Padstow) or the Tarka Trail (all around the North devon coast)
Tons of good pubs on the edge of Dartmoor - Fingle Bridge, Bridford Inn...
Some other good and close places for dinner - Jack in the Green in Rockbeare and The Puffing Billy in Exton are both absolutely fantastic
Skydiving at Dunkeswell aerodrome maybe!

Soldato
My grandad used to say that all the time “Come on we’ll all go, Uncle Tom Cobley an’all”

Didn't think about the pub name much (I stayed there overnight once and the beer range is incomparable, Roger the Landlord is a real character, and they put free pies on the bar at 1600ish to get the farm labourers in... and it works) until you said that, so I dug up the wiki page which is interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom_Cobley

Man of Honour
Closer to Tiv again maybe Otterton Mill which is great for a cream tea and a walk

On that note - used to be a few places offering decent cream teas with a good view and access to walks around the area including the Quantocks - not something I do much or done lately so no idea what is good or even still open these days.

Man of Honour
Dorset is rather nice as well.

Dorset is nice but I find it a bit bland - right now I have a broad view (well its misty and raining but I would if the sun was out) across the Blackmore Vale from Hambledon Hill on one side and King Alfred's Tower the other and it is pleasant enough but there is nothing that moves me about the view.

Back
Top Bottom