Win 10 on an old set up?

Associate
I would like to upgrade to win 10 on my PC but not sure if my old components would be ok to run it without bugs or glitches.

Spec is 8gbram, 3570k, 290x, Asus p8z77 premium mobo.

?

Soldato
That's not even that old. It should be fine. I'd grab the latest AMD drivers direct from them rather than letting windows update install its own rubbish though.

Soldato
Download the installer from the Microsoft website and give it a whirl. You can activate it once your happy. Or use the free upgrade route if your on Windows 7.

Image your current OS first though, in case you change your mind.

Soldato
Considering my old 2600K with a 7950 ran W10 without any issues, your PC will be completely fine. I have older Core 2 duo based PCs at work which runs W10 with no problems as well. If it can run 7, it'll run 10 just fine.

Associate
OP
Download the installer from the Microsoft website and give it a whirl. You can activate it once your happy. Or use the free upgrade route if your on Windows 7.

Image your current OS first though, in case you change your mind.

If I image win 7 then use the key on win 10, would the key work still on win7 if I revert back?

Free upgrade route has been dead for 2 years now.

I think there has always been a way to upgrade.

Soldato
I think there has always been a way to upgrade.

There was the original free upgrade they offered, which they then stopped but they carried on with an accessibility free upgrade but had no checks. I know as I made a bit upgrade consultants home laptops to Win 10, they paid for my time and get win 10 free.

They have also stopped that now, been over a year I think. I don't know of any other way of getting a legal free upgrade.

Soldato
I don't know of any other way of getting a legal free upgrade.
I don't think you can upgrade, but you can (or still could a couple of months ago) install a clean copy using a Windows 7 or Windows 8 licence key. It works for the bios activated machines I've tried it on as well.

Man of Honour
Considering my old 2600K with a 7950 ran W10 without any issues, your PC will be completely fine. I have older Core 2 duo based PCs at work which runs W10 with no problems as well. If it can run 7, it'll run 10 just fine.

My dad stuck 10 on the Q6600 w/ 4GB RAM system I built for him years ago (since upgraded to a Ryzen 2600) and it ran fine - annoyingly despite his PC being a mess of software and things running in the background, etc. it always ran Windows update far faster than any other machine I've seen.

I've upgraded (on request) a few other older systems with Core 2 duo and they work OK aslong as you have enough storage space (Windows 10 struggles with updates, etc. on storage with less than around 20GB free these days) and atleast 2GB RAM (theoretically the 32bit version will work with 1GB but especially if that is coupled with a mechanical HDD that isn't really usable - even just opening a web-browser it will grind to a halt).

Soldato
Windows 10 struggles with updates, etc. on storage with less than around 20GB free these days
I think it's getting better. I used Windows Update to update a Linx tablet from 1803 to 1809 last night and it all went smoothly with only 10.5GB free. Any other update is minor compared to that.

Man of Honour
I think it's getting better. I used Windows Update to update a Linx tablet from 1803 to 1809 last night and it all went smoothly with only 10.5GB free. Any other update is minor compared to that.

1803 to 1809 is problematic for me on a few devices - even using an external drive to supplement it on some systems it just wouldn't take without having ~9GB free for the Windows.old folder and another ~9GB for the installation - not sure the rhyme or reason - annoyingly it sits there saying something like "You need to find another 500MB" so I move some files and then it says "You need to find another 900MB", etc.

Associate
OP
I've downloaded win 10 onto a disc and flash drive just incase. I have a system image that I did about a year ago which should be fine, not added anything much since. Also backed my pics up etc onto another HDD.

Have not done an install for a long time. Anything I need to know before I go ahead? I have a 250gb SSD for the OS and a 2tb WD black HDD for storage.

Back
Top Bottom