Man of Honour
I missed it, is that the Indian looking fella who builds swimming pools and huts and stuff using sticks, clay, straw and other basic stuff?

No, it's the Australian bloke who builds enduringly functional stuff using only stone age knowledge and technology. Those undrained unsterilised swimming pools would be horrendous disease sources very quickly. They're a one day use thing.

This chap makes stuff that's still usable years later and he does everything from scratch using only stone tools he made himself (those are the early videos - it took him 7 days to make an axe head), sticks and his hands and using only materials he can gather locally and carry to his work site by hand, on foot. It's bona fide stone age, start to finish. Quick shelters, semi-permanent houses that would last for decades, farms, pit kilns, late stone age draught kilns, charcoal, water hammer, concrete etc, etc. His washing facility is a nearby small waterfall, i.e. safe to use for more than a day. He doesn't live in the wild, but he could. He made a video about growing yams (a key staple food in many parts of the world) and protecting them from animals, then cooking them. The part with him eating them was like a window into the far past. He wouldn't have been out of place 10,000 years ago. If it had been gathered wild yams rather than cultivated yams, he wouldn't have been out of place 300,000 years ago (though not in Australia, of course, since there weren't any humans there then).

Surprisingly, concrete is a stone age technology. It wasn't used to any significant extent because it's a laborious process to produce small quantities and it's likely few people knew how, but it is stone age tech. It's more commonly associated with ancient Rome because they invented the methods and infrastructure to produce it in industrial quantities and with a consistent mix, but it can be produced with nothing more than something with a high calcium content and an ordinary fire to make the cement plus some aggregate to make concrete from the cement. This chap made some cement using snail shells, for example, then with some wood ash. The aggregate is simple - any bits of small, hard stuff will do.

EDIT: It's worth turning subtitles on for his video - there's additional explanation in them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom