Hayfever - Thread

Soldato
What do people find works best for relief from itchy eyes? I can deal with the sneezing and runny nose but when my eyes get bad its game over and I normally just have to go to bed for a few hours until they settle down.
I wear glasses too and even wearing these the pollen still get to my eyes(if that's how it works...?)

Do any of the eye drops out there actually work? Any tablets that help?

I got some eye drops from Asda. I'm .it exaggerating when saying I wanted to gouge out my eyes to it stop on Friday. Since then I've been using eyedrops morning and before bed and worst I've had since is a little tickle early evening before I have my second dose of the day. Never used eye drops before this year but they've been great.

I've ended up on a combo of one a day cetrazine, nasal spray 2-3 times a day and eye drops a couple of times and got it under control without completely getting rid. Night is the worst and been sleeping terribly. Apparently tree pollen is really bad right now? Not sure if that's BS but I was told that, never suffered like this in about 20 years, hate it.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Pretty much died today and that was using my full regime, multiple hayfever tablets, paracetamols and nose spray sessions just enough to allow me to walk and move, otherwise sneezing fits every 20 minutes or so.

Ditched the lotradine and now back on the cetrizine but its gonna take some time for it to kick in I think.

Soldato
Pretty much died today and that was using my full regime, multiple hayfever tablets, paracetamols and nose spray sessions just enough to allow me to walk and move, otherwise sneezing fits every 20 minutes or so.

Ditched the lotradine and now back on the cetrizine but its gonna take some time for it to kick in I think.

Seriously try and get Avamys nasal spray from your doctor

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Seriously try and get Avamys nasal spray from your doctor

May just try that my beconase spray was doing very well oddly and is a type of steroid spray till today, will see but thanks for the reminder I see a few are talking well of that product.

Associate
I'm on twice daily Fexo and take benzonase before bed. Usually find it's awful in the morning still & I can tell I've not slept great - Usually run straight into the server room when getting to work for a bit of relieve!

Have been tempted to pick up a cheap refurb Dyson Air purifier for the bedroom (Shutting the door at night) - Has anyone had any luck with these or something like it?

Soldato
3. Paracetamol tablets-total life savers since I added them to my mix, they reduce inflammation in the nose, face and head and reduce my symptoms.
You don't have to take it often or daily maybe just worse days or 1 in morning if bad.

You should try either Ibuprofen or Aspirin as they are actually NSAID where as Paracetamol isn't. Wouldn't take Ibuprofen long term though, id never thought of trying an anti inflammatory, might give an Aspirin a day ago.

My hay fever hasn't started so far though i never seem to remember each year when it actually does start.

Soldato
I may have posted this before but each of the last few summers I have stopped all red wine and ale and moved onto cider as my tipple of choice. I was finding that my antihistamines just couldn't cope if I'd been on red wine or ale. Showering in the evening is important to avoiding the night time sneezing. Finally I had tried and failed with Beconase for years but moving to Pirinase has worked wonders, I'm sure we're all different and if nasal sprays haven't worked for you make sure you've tried them all before giving up because I enjoyed last summer so much more than any of the previous 20 from a hayfever point of view having found Pirinase works for me.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
You should try either Ibuprofen or Aspirin as they are actually NSAID where as Paracetamol isn't. Wouldn't take Ibuprofen long term though, id never thought of trying an anti inflammatory, might give an Aspirin a day ago.

My hay fever hasn't started so far though i never seem to remember each year when it actually does start.

thanks never even considered or tried ibuprofen or aspirin, yeah would never take it long term just for those really bad days or mornings. Something cheap and affordable at least in the fight against the incurable hayfever.

I may have posted this before but each of the last few summers I have stopped all red wine and ale and moved onto cider as my tipple of choice. I was finding that my antihistamines just couldn't cope if I'd been on red wine or ale. Showering in the evening is important to avoiding the night time sneezing. Finally I had tried and failed with Beconase for years but moving to Pirinase has worked wonders, I'm sure we're all different and if nasal sprays haven't worked for you make sure you've tried them all before giving up because I enjoyed last summer so much more than any of the previous 20 from a hayfever point of view having found Pirinase works for me.

Really surprised beconase failed you, I was the compete opposite when I tried pirinase spray. I still squirt 2 beconase sprays each nostril each morning and that last generally till next day, sometimes it does fail in evenings but generally its enough since pollen levels dies down in evenings. Still get nose bleeds sometimes but its well worth being able to function as normal or go outside at least.

Caporegime
I've just started getting the "itchy roof of mouth" which is the first sign of my hayfever starting :(

I've been taking anti-histamines (Loratadine) for about 2 weeks already as you are supposed to take them before symptoms appear.

The last few years there comes a point in June where the park I take my dog to most days has to be avoided for a week, otherwise I am struggling to breath a few hours later!

Soldato
My wife take bee pollen capsules and has found that they really help reduce (not eliminate, sadly) her symptoms. Essentially, they are capsules full of pollen grains that you take once a day and they act a bit like a vaccine, in that your body learns to recognise the pollen and so doesn't go quite as mental when actually exposed. At least, that's the theory but the effect is noticeable for her (and more than just taking cetirizine alone). If anyone wants to get some, they come from a company called FlyAgaric on TheBay.

Soldato
Finally caved in yesterday and started taking generic Cetirizine as whatever French tree/shrub decided to blossom this week has reduced me to a walking snot factory.

There’s that much pollen/blossom that you can actually see clouds of it blowing around.

Soldato
Finally caved in yesterday and started taking generic Cetirizine as whatever French tree/shrub decided to blossom this week has reduced me to a walking snot factory.

There’s that much pollen/blossom that you can actually see clouds of it blowing around.

Willow trees apparently, according to a neighbour. Of course, the wife points out that we have one 20 metres from the house when I mention this.

Soldato
is there a way to find out what particular pollen allergy starts your hayfever? or is it generally a process over the years where you begin to figure out at what time of year your hayfever starts, pointing to grass/tree/fir etc being the culprit.

Soldato
is there a way to find out what particular pollen allergy starts your hayfever? or is it generally a process over the years where you begin to figure out at what time of year your hayfever starts, pointing to grass/tree/fir etc being the culprit.

I had a blood test many years ago which came back as grass pollen for me. Although there's hundreds of other things that set me off still.

Back
Top Bottom