• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia stock tumbles

Soldato
AI is going to drive nVidia's future revenue. Crypto was just a bonus fad, made some hay while the sun was shining. All the excess Pascal inventory floating around will be a drag for a while, but Volta/Turing are so far ahead of Pascal for ML tasks it should be minimal.

On the gaming side, they need to start throwing money at devs to implement RT to shift new cards.
I'm not sure how much traction Nvidia will get out the AI maket (or even AMD for that matter), big corporations are moving away from general purpose processors from Nvidia and developing their own solutions. Google is already using Edge TPU for it's cloud operations and others are following suit.

I dunno if it is a more general trend - not been watching stuff closely enough or knowledgeable enough but seems to be some sentiment lately of an impending crash with people getting money out to invest when it happens in the hope of picking up stock cheap. That kind of behaviour can also precipitate a crash.
It's just a correction IMO, you remember that Nvidia's stock price was around $28 at the start of 2016 and reached a peak of $281 in 2018 before crashing down to around $150. A lot of what was driving that surge in 2016/2017 was investors thought Nvidia could sow up the AI market like it did with the gaming market.

Even if Nvidia had 100% of the HPC market it doesn't justify a 10 fold increase in the share price, add to that the cypto crash and left over inventory, badly received Turing cards and the threat of ASICS taking over from GPU's for doing AI and cloud operations it no wonder the shares have come back down. If your a shareholder from 2016 you still can't complain to much though.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Caporegime
Any company viewed as scum by thier customers is going to worry investors because people only buy Nvidia due to the performance. But this means Nvidia operate on a knife edge.

As if people see AMD ever come back or anyone for that matter out will come the knives. Freesync support was just one of these preparations for a good backstabbing. All we need now is someone who supports VRR to offer 2080ti performance at a good price and everyone would shift away from them.
Agree entirely, I’ve had Nvidia cards for years (my last AMD/ATI was an X1950 Pro AGP!)

But now it’s either second hand or not at all as far as I’m concerned re any future Nvidia purchases and I’m hoping AMD have something decent in the pipeline for the future.

They’ve bitten too many of the hands that feed them imo.

Soldato
Another one incoming :cool: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-hit-with-patent-infringement-lawsuit-from-xperi-corp/

NVIDIA Hit With Patent Infringement Lawsuit From Xperi Corp

They mostly appear to be process related, so it would be TSMC they would have to go after as nvidia dont define the process - they could have had success against samsung as samsung act as their own fab, but nvidia don't produce their own chips so its difficult to see how nvidia are in breach of most of these patents. Broadcom used to be fabless but iirc that changed when avago bought them out and merged the companies.

Caporegime
They mostly appear to be process related, so it would be TSMC they would have to go after as nvidia dont define the process - they could have had success against samsung as samsung act as their own fab, but nvidia don't produce their own chips so its difficult to see how nvidia are in breach of most of these patents. Broadcom used to be fabless but iirc that changed when avago bought them out and merged the companies.

It is likely due to the fact that TSMC is not a US corporation unlike Nvidia. Their patents are only US based so Xperi like any good patent troll are going after whomever they can.

It looks like NVidia were in discussion with Xperi for a few years so the fact that Nvidia didn't bother to license the patents likely means that Xperi don't have much of a case. Patent infringements normally come about when one party did not discover an existing patent and accidentally invent the same technology. Being creative and conducting lots of R&D gives a company like Nvidia lot of risk compared to simply using existing IP and design. I would be dubious Nvidia failed to fully understand the patnets before ending talks with Xperi.

Associate
It is likely due to the fact that TSMC is not a US corporation unlike Nvidia. Their patents are only US based so Xperi like any good patent troll are going after whomever they can.

It looks like NVidia were in discussion with Xperi for a few years so the fact that Nvidia didn't bother to license the patents likely means that Xperi don't have much of a case. Patent infringements normally come about when one party did not discover an existing patent and accidentally invent the same technology. Being creative and conducting lots of R&D gives a company like Nvidia lot of risk compared to simply using existing IP and design. I would be dubious Nvidia failed to fully understand the patnets before ending talks with Xperi.

Samsung lost in a legal battle over the same patents and they aren't a US corporation so I don't see that as much of an argument. Nvidia have form for ignoring patents and have lost before so it wouldn't surprise me if they lose here too. Time will tell. It also seems that nowadays if anyone sues over patents they are automatically branded as patent trolls. Sounds to me like Xperi have designed these technologies and are happily licencing them to others. Nvidia will have to cough up eventually. If Samsung's lawyers couldn't get a win, I don't see Nvidia having much luck.

It sure is hitting Nvidia's stock at the moment though. That plus financials due soon could hit them harder. The market has a fair bit of pessimism about Nvidia right now, probably due to the previous quarters.

Caporegime
Samsung lost in a legal battle over the same patents and they aren't a US corporation so I don't see that as much of an argument. Nvidia have form for ignoring patents and have lost before so it wouldn't surprise me if they lose here too. Time will tell. It also seems that nowadays if anyone sues over patents they are automatically branded as patent trolls. Sounds to me like Xperi have designed these technologies and are happily licencing them to others. Nvidia will have to cough up eventually. If Samsung's lawyers couldn't get a win, I don't see Nvidia having much luck.

It sure is hitting Nvidia's stock at the moment though. That plus financials due soon could hit them harder. The market has a fair bit of pessimism about Nvidia right now, probably due to the previous quarters.

Samsung have US based operations, TMSC doesn't AFAIK.

Nvidia have the same patent issues as any large tech company with a big R&D budget. They don't really have any consistent record of infringement beyond industry norms

Nvidia's stock has nothing to do with the patent case. Mostly related to bigger tech industry warnings and the realization of mutli-billion dollar autonomous car revenue is still some years away. Nvidia stock was massively over valued.

Caporegime
t also seems that nowadays if anyone sues over patents they are automatically branded as patent trolls. Sounds to me like Xperi have designed these technologies

Also, this is just plain false. Xperi is a patent troll, they buy out patents form other companies and then litigate to make profit. they don;t actually do much design of their own at all

http://techrights.org/2018/02/27/pa...ofer-get-patents-and-payments-from-east-asia/

Their entire bussines s model is based on buying patents and licening where they can through extortion and threat of infringement law suits
https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=7dacdd97-6141-4117-96bb-8104e52b4153

Soldato
not nivida related as such but with trump hitting china with tariffs , AMD slumped 6% - was looking to sink in one of my old mans pensions into AMD before ryzen 3000 launch , did the same with one of his olders start of 2017 into AMD. with that small drop from trump gained quite a lot :D

Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/255596/nvidia-announces-financial-results-for-first-quarter-fiscal-2020

NVIDIA today reported revenue for the first quarter ended April 28, 2019, of $2.22 billion compared with $3.21 billion a year earlier and $2.21 billion in the previous quarter. GAAP earnings per diluted share for the quarter were $0.64, compared with $1.98 a year ago and $0.92 in the previous quarter. Non-GAAP earnings per diluted share were $0.88 compared with $2.05 a year earlier and $0.80 in the previous quarter.

From another report:

On Thursday, Nvidia (NVDA) reported revenue of $2.22 billion, slightly above analysts' expectations of $2.20 billion.

The stock only rose marginally as they made $20 million more than they predicted they would for this quarter.

The drop in graphics sales YoY is massive.

DQ2gLmY.jpg

Sales of graphics cards look much reduced year on year and even margins are down,and this even after the cheaper mass market cards like the GTX1650,GTX1660 and GTX1660TI were released. These sell significantly more in number than the higher end cards and replaced the old Turing cards,and the drop in memory prices should help with costs. This is also with AMD "competing" with out of date cards,and hardly having any laptop dGPU share too.

The experts on here were saying that graphics card sales were booming,yet apparently it looks card sales in general have massively gone down for everyone. No wonder when card prices have increased at the top end,and its taken years for us to see solid progress as generations of GPUs are stretched out more and more by both companies, and both only marginally try to compete on price/performance. A midrange RTX2060 is selling for not far off what an enthusiast GTX1070 was selling for,so that increase in ASP also will be masking these numbers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom