Insurance policy clause retrospectively added

Soldato
Don't all the online insurers, give you online access to your specific T&C's that were in place when you took the policy out/renewed it ?

Does the box(/app ?) give you feedback everytime you use the car ? so that you can determine if you are driving within their conditions.

Its compulsory to provide full details when you take it out. They often provide a summary as well.
If I go into my AVIVA account I can see the policy T&Cs and summary and renewal invite etc for every policy from when I moved the to them (about 5 years ago)

I suspect Tesco have changed the wording, this happens a lot, to clarify or to take account of rulings etc, but I would highly doubt there wasn't something similar in there all along.
Black box policies offer a (normally) significant premium reduction in payment for offering up more of your relevant details to allow the insurance company to assess risk, which is fine if you only marginally exceed, but if one of your actions takes them outside what they accept to be risk they are willing to bear then your going to have issues.

A normal policy would be no different if they knew you regularly speeded your more of a risk. They dont however get to know about this until you pick up points, which is a very imperfect way of loading the premium for those causing more risk, ut its the best they had available until black boxes.

Soldato
This isnt helpful, but LOL

Signs up for a monitored tracked GPS policy, and then regularly knowingly speeds, and continues to speed despite multiple warnings :p

Can we have a daily mail style sad face picture of OP pointing at his insurance documents and title:

"Audi driver concerned that traffic rules apply to him"

Soldato
I currently pay £400 per year on my A5 compared with £1,400 (minimum) for a non-black box policy.
[...]
Every other month I tend to receive an email telling me I have scored 'red' for speeding (with red being bad). This time, I have received two emails in a row (i.e. one last month and one this month telling me to slow down).

Have you considered that maybe... just maybe there's a reason premiums for people with your profile are so high? ;)

Soldato
How do black bboxes work if someone else's uses the car. For example if they can drive another car third party, the insurance company have no idea who's driving.

Associate
How do black bboxes work if someone else's uses the car. For example if they can drive another car third party, the insurance company have no idea who's driving.
read the text in the op's image.
"If you or any driver..." so it runs and analyses all the time. If someone else drives your car in a way that the black box doesn't like then you still get screwed by it. Might sound harsh, but that's what's been agreed to by signing up. i.e. can't try to use the excuse that someone else was driving at that time.

Soldato
OP are you a troll? It states they will cancel within a 20mph tolerance. So driving 50mph in a 30mph would get your insurance cancelled... 70mph in a 50 zone... 90mph in a 70 zone etc. If you feel that's acceptable by any means on public roads, you deserve to lose your license - let alone have your insurance cancelled...

Anyway good luck if they do cancel your policy, you'll enjoy having to declare a cancelled policy to any future insurers (if you can get insured again) :) Your style of driving is the exact opposite of a black box policy. It's a way for young drivers generally to obtain cheaper premiums, by not driving like a complete nob...

Give it a month and you'll be moaning that Tesco voided your insurance claim, when you wrap your car round a tree but they can see you was heavily speeding, braking etc.

Soldato
Soldato
The point of having a black box means you don’t continually speed and so are a lower risk, this means lower insurance premiums.

If you are unable to keep to the speed limits enough to remain within their limits then this policy is not suitable for you and they will likely cancel the policy if this keeps up.

If you have your insurance policy cancelled due to excessive speeding the next policy will cost a fortune. Do you want to drive slower with more money in your pocket or pay very high insurance premiums ?

Soldato
OP
The responses to this thread were far more amusing than I first envisioned :p

I've decided to ditch the box. A few of my actuarial colleagues (some of whom were involved in the early stages of setting up telematics-based coverage for well known insurers) have all agreed the risk of cancellation is such that I am better off biting the bullet and going to a non black box policy, even if it does mean losing my NCB accumulated for this year. They were all quite surprised this clause wasn't in the contract from the outset (as for whether it was added in May 2018, I am not sure - it's definitely the first time they've mentioned it in a warning email though).

I've managed to find a fully comprehensive policy for £1,300 per annum with a total excess of £1,000. This policy was actually quite difficult to find as most insurers seem to only quote with an excess of £3,000 for drivers of my profile (if you want your premium to be < £2,000 that is). I am hoping they won't turn around and tell me the quote was given in error!

Soldato
I've decided to ditch the box. A few of my actuarial colleagues (some of whom were involved in the early stages of setting up telematics-based coverage for well known insurers) have all agreed the risk of cancellation is such that I am better off biting the bullet and going to a non black box policy, even if it does mean losing my NCB accumulated for this year. They were all quite surprised this clause wasn't in the contract from the outset (as for whether it was added in May 2018, I am not sure - it's definitely the first time they've mentioned it in a warning email though).

I've managed to find a fully comprehensive policy for £1,300 per annum with a total excess of £1,000. This policy was actually quite difficult to find as most insurers seem to only quote with an excess of £3,000 for drivers of my profile (if you want your premium to be < £2,000 that is). I am hoping they won't turn around and tell me the quote was given in error!

You've opted to cancel a £400 policy, forgoing 1 year NCB, to pay £1300 a year with higher excess, so you can continue to break speed limits? Fantastic.

Soldato
You've opted to cancel a £400 policy, forgoing 1 year NCB, to pay £1300 a year with higher excess, so you can continue to break speed limits? Fantastic.

Thing is, it is perfectly possible to break speed limits unintentionally as a consequence of highway authorities utter incompetence (Or even wilful fraud!)

Cant find the details off hand, but I seem to recall there was a case down in Portsmouth some years ago where huge numbers of people ended up getting ticketed after having come off the M3(?) onto the A27(?) (Which had a lower limit) but they hadn't actually passed any lollipops that told them that the limit had changed.

Those that questioned it eventually got their money back and licenses cleaned. (Again, AIUI those that didn't, didn't! A monstrous injustice!) But what would happen with people who might experience effective-immediate insurance cancellation under similar circumstances?

Soldato
Those that questioned it eventually got their money back and licenses cleaned. (Again, AIUI those that didn't, didn't! A monstrous injustice!) But what would happen with people who might experience effective-immediate insurance cancellation under similar circumstances?

I assume they'd appeal their cancellation, and win. I also highly doubt the repeated warnings TNGL has been getting relates to incorrectly signed roads.

Caporegime
I was thinking this myself, surely OP you’d be better driving like a saint until your existing policy is up (ideally all the time but hey ho) get 1yr NCB then change?

Soldato
OP

You're not quite getting the point are you?

The policy heavily penalises you for even the minimal speeding it seems. The extra year in NCB (going from 1 to 2) saved me a nominal amount having played around with the policy options. With the risk of cancellation being somewhat high and the prospect of even higher premiums real, it made perfect sense.

So from that perspective, yes, fantastic.

Soldato
I was thinking this myself, surely OP you’d be better driving like a saint until your existing policy is up (ideally all the time but hey ho) get 1yr NCB then change?
Even better, get a car that's cheaper on insurance. He's in his early 20s, plenty of cars will be insurable for sub £1000 and you can bet he doesn't need to have an A5 but likes that he has an Audi.

Soldato
I assume they'd appeal their cancellation, and win. I also highly doubt the repeated warnings TNGL has been getting relates to incorrectly signed roads.

Yes, but I doubt if that would be easy or hassle free.

I dare say one would have to spend a shed-load of money (Which you would likley never be able to recover) and I doubt if your insurance records would ever be expunged (IE Have you ever had insurance cancelled=Yes. Because it has!)

Soldato
My son and daughter both have black boxes, just moved our daughter onto a non black box policy and her premium has dropped.

Daughter was with More Than and they were a nightmare with the box, threatened to cancel the policy due to speeding which happened when a mechanic took her car on a test drive, they only eventually accepted that it wasn't her but they made her feel terrible and basically called her a lier. I took it out and got her a -10 for speed, its so easy to do as you have to hit 30 as you pass into a limit rather than slow to 30 which is what everyone does in real life. Glad to be rid of them.
Son is with another company more like yours and has occasionally got black marks and suggestions to watch videos on speeding but nothing more.

Get rid of the black box as soon as you can, daughter is in her third year of driving but only has a 1ltr Corsa and its cheaper for her to shed the box. Son will move as soon as he can, they are a tool to get you in a car in your first years of driving but not something you need. I'd suggest if you can't afford to insure without one then your in the wrong car for your age.

Back
Top Bottom