How best to protect my eyes?

Soldato
Hi All,

I've recently moved into a job role where I'm sat in front of a screen for the majority of the time. This is my first role that's entirely desk based. Now, my vision has always been great - and I want to protect that.

Aside from the usual, (taking regular screen breaks, adjust screen settings etc) does anyone have any experience of other ways to protect my eyes? Glare reducing glasses etc? I'm keen to prevent any damage.

Soldato
Reduce the brightness and adjust colour temperature of the display so that it’s comfortable to view for long periods.

The display should be at least arms reach away from your normal seated position.
Ensure the display is correctly focused and use larger than standard font sizes to avoid eye strain.

Get a pair of blue tinted anti glare glasses.

Soldato
Been wearing glasses for years, i am not aware of anything that will “protect” your eyes as such. I do have my monitor on half brightness as i find most monitors default is up to the max which I find to intense.

Soldato
There's a whole bunch of "Monitor protection" glasses that've become available over the past few years, 3 of my 4 managers use some form of them and say the 'before/after' difference is very noticeable.

Soldato
I don't think modern screens are as bad on the eye compared to old style CFT's.

My eyes are quite sensitive to bright light, so i do tend to keep brightness fairly low, unless sitting in a room with bright sunlight.

Soldato
OP
Been wearing glasses for years, i am not aware of anything that will “protect” your eyes as such. I do have my monitor on half brightness as i find most monitors default is up to the max which I find to intense.

Thanks - I'm aware that I'm not going to be able to completely prevent any damage to my eyes from extended computer usage, I'm just looking to reduce the impact it may have.

Caporegime
What happened to those old screen things that used to be in every office under the sun, that folks used to hang on their monitors? Was that for privacy or protection? Haven’t seen one in years.

Soldato
Hi All,

I've recently moved into a job role where I'm sat in front of a screen for the majority of the time. This is my first role that's entirely desk based. Now, my vision has always been great - and I want to protect that.

Aside from the usual, (taking regular screen breaks, adjust screen settings etc) does anyone have any experience of other ways to protect my eyes? Glare reducing glasses etc? I'm keen to prevent any damage.

Pick good colour schemes for your software - most are customizable. For example all my Bash terminals are orange text on black background, same as Bloomberg's classic terminal. Green on black is also traditional. However, it depends a bit on the nature of the work and I don't know what you do. Have a good quality monitor (high refresh, high resolution) and don't have it too bright but not so low you struggle.

Every half hour or so, look out of the window at a distant object and look at it for a few minutes.

Soldato
OP
Pick good colour schemes for your software - most are customizable. For example all my Bash terminals are orange text on black background, same as Bloomberg's classic terminal. Green on black is also traditional. However, it depends a bit on the nature of the work and I don't know what you do. Have a good quality monitor (high refresh, high resolution) and don't have it too bright but not so low you struggle.

Every half hour or so, look out of the window at a distant object and look at it for a few minutes.

Thanks - I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer, so lots of CAD work. Solidworks is already set to Dark Theme luckily. Unfortunately no window seat available - the office is well lit and it's very even. I've got decent screens, HP Z27n G2s, running at 75hz so it's not too bad.

Soldato

Yeah this is a good point, i tend to set up these things with green/yellow/orange text on black background. I find opening up a text file on a big screen when it's all white can feel a little blinding.

Caporegime
Hi All,

there are gaming glasses you can get off amazon. various models at different prices from Azorri the same make that makes "gaming chairs". just buy the cheapest ones the make.

it will make everything look yellow as it filters out blue light though. but you will no longer get eye fatigue or migraines.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
FWIW you should be given DSE training as part of your job (we have an annual course on it) that should cover this. Any equipment you need you should be able to ask the company to buy for you.
You should also get free eye tests if you're using a screen for prolonged periods.

Soldato
OP
FWIW you should be given DSE training as part of your job (we have an annual course on it) that should cover this. Any equipment you need you should be able to ask the company to buy for you.
You should also get free eye tests if you're using a screen for prolonged periods.

Yep, we do - I'll bring it up with them - good shout. A colleague of mine has a motorised stand-up desk due to back issues. I've got an eye test scheduled for tomorrow, actually - already have a free voucher.

Soldato
if you already used glasses, then your employee may contribute to a pair of screen glasses, for the appropriate distance.

it will make everything look yellow
as he says -
there are many rip of anti-glare glasses, but they actually need to be yellow tinted to remove some of the stressful blues,
the ones that are not, typically do not publish any data about what specific spectra they block.

large screens, 27"(are much covetted here), and (freestyle) font aliasing, with judicious choice of colour palette - dark backgoround.

Caporegime
I've been wearing glasses since I was 8, have spent the majorty of my time starting at computer screens from the age of 12, don't do anything specific to protect my eyes, and my perscription has been steady for over a decade now.

Soldato
Having found the best seating distance from my screen I measured the eye distance which is 1m to 1.10m then took my measurements to my optician and got some new glasses just for sitting in front of PC. Made all things comfortable - no hunching shoulders or straining the eyes.

Back
Top Bottom