Insurance policy clause retrospectively added

Soldato
OP
Even better, get a car that's cheaper on insurance. He's in his early 20s, plenty of cars will be insurable for sub £1000 and you can bet he doesn't need to have an A5 but likes that he has an Audi.

Of course one doesn't need an Audi. Money isn't the problem here, it's just I'm quite frugal. Hence the Tesco policy was like a dream come true but it wasn't meant to be!

There isn't necessarily anything special about owning an Audi, I just like the A5 and always have.

Soldato
Owning the Audi isn't a problem here, but man, why the need to speed? The only time I sit above the limit is on an empty motorway, when I sit at 76 ish. The Tesco policy is very good value, and having a policy clause to . say they can cancel your insurance for breaking the law isn't harsh IMO, especially if you've been emailed warnings etc.

Simple answer was don't speed - no need to change the policy :(

Soldato
OP
Owning the Audi isn't a problem here, but man, why the need to speed? The only time I sit above the limit is on an empty motorway, when I sit at 76 ish. The Tesco policy is very good value, and having a policy clause to . say they can cancel your insurance for breaking the law isn't harsh IMO, especially if you've been emailed warnings etc.

Simple answer was don't speed - no need to change the policy :(

I have mentioned a few times now, the box is very harsh at penalising speeding. I think most drivers who claim they don't speed would still be caught out by this box and have the threat of cancellation put to them in an email too.

Man of Honour
I have mentioned a few times now, the box is very harsh at penalising speeding. I think most drivers who claim they don't speed would still be caught out by this box and have the threat of cancellation put to them in an email too.
At the end of the day it's not harsh, you're breaking the law as soon as you go over the limit. It seems entirely sensible that they don't want to cover you if you continuously break the law.
You want the savings then you have to be whiter than white, that's the joy of having big brother watching you.

Soldato
It's funny how a lot of people have normalised speeding.
Since i made an effort to not speed at all driving has become much less stressful.
Main reason i don't have a black box policy is being monitored doesn't warrant the tiny saving for me, some it's actually more expensive.

Does seem to fit the Audi stereotype though. I wonder if it shows that his car spends the majority of its time in the Audi lane on the motorways.

Also when did things change that your first car is something like this anyway. My first car was a £300 Ford Fiesta.
They should limit new drivers to certain cars.

Soldato
Also when did things change that your first car is something like this anyway.

• Some parents feel the need to ensure their kids aren't hard done by like they were as a kid
  • People are, on the whole, more well off, and can afford more expensive things
  • Better cars are cheaper
My 2013 Zetec S cost my dad more money than my mother paid for her 2009 A5 Sportback with 60K miles.

Doesn't make someone a bad person for buying a nice car :confused:

Deffo still no need to speed though.

Soldato
OP
I can't quite work out why it being an Audi is such a talking point. The insurance cost will still be high no matter whatever the car.

A bulk of the premium is made up of the liability coverage and not so much damage to the car itself. The underlying rhetoric is no matter what car you drive, you still pose a danger to others. This danger is elevated for young drivers.

Hence I don't quite get the Audi bashing. Is that what a life of mediocrity results in, a bit of saltiness?

Soldato
maybe the UK should adopt northern Irish scheme ... do they get cheaper insurance rates ?
I didn't know the Restricted speed limit scheme is replaced

N-Plates - Novice Driver
A fairly recent driving rule now states that drivers who were granted their first license on or after August 1st, 2014, now have to display N-plates for a period of 2 years. These N-plates identify "novice drivers", who have shown enough talent to be awarded a license, but who are still on a steep learning curve.
The plates were brought in because research has repeatedly shown that novice (e.g. new) drivers are most likely to be killed while driving during the first two years after passing their test. This is simply due to inexperience, and the accidents result from this lack of practical experience. Related research proves that one in any five newly qualified drivers will crash in the first six months after passing their test.
Luckily, minor fender-benders are the main kind of accident recorded. A driver generally is considered to be "inexperienced" until he or she has driven a whopping 100,000 kilometers, or over 60,000 miles (which, if you are only driving locally, might take a decade or more).
The N-plate is there to identify novice status mainly to other drivers so that they can be considerate when approaching these newer Irish drivers.
In contrast to learner drivers, there is no requirement for novice drivers to have an accompanying driver with them to supervise. But a novice driver may not act as an accompanying driver for someone who holds a learner permit (so no L- and N-plates on one vehicle, ever). N drivers do need to be especially careful when driving because they face stricter penalties when it comes to traffic offenses. Specifically, it only takes a lowered threshold of seven penalty points before their novice license can be revoked.

Soldato
I can't quite work out why it being an Audi is such a talking point. The insurance cost will still be high no matter whatever the car.
I raised this because many people see Audi as being a 'premium' car and so want to have the badge on the drive/keychain and will spend over the odds to insure such a vehicle. Insurance companies tend to view them as being higher risk which also doesn't help with policy pricing.

Saying that all cars will have high insurance is factually incorrect. You may not have £200 quotes on other vehicles, but chances are you'd be able to insure something else (still decent, I don't mean a tiny tin box with a 50hp engine) for around the £500-£700 mark...if insurance prices are of issue. Your initial posts about this all showed you're concerned about insurance prices, hence suggesting not driving a vehicle that's likely to carry a higher premium (especially for a younger driver).

I was/am not bashing Audi or any other brands, just pointing out it's going to have a higher insurance premium than other just as suitable vehicles.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty sure Volvos used to be cheapish to insure, didn't they look at them on Top Gear and they could have a V70 T5 for less than something like a Corsa.
You have to understand statistics and why certain cars are expensive, the fact young new drivers keep buying Audis only increases the premiums.
For a cheap insurance you need to look at what cars statisticly safe drivers buy.

Soldato
OP
Pretty sure Volvos used to be cheapish to insure, didn't they look at them on Top Gear and they could have a V70 T5 for less than something like a Corsa.
You have to understand statistics and why certain cars are expensive, the fact young new drivers keep buying Audis only increases the premiums.
For a cheap insurance you need to look at what cars statisticly safe drivers buy.

Working as an actuary and with friends working in motor too, the concept of using statistics to price insurance is not an unfamiliar one.

I raised this because many people see Audi as being a 'premium' car and so want to have the badge on the drive/keychain and will spend over the odds to insure such a vehicle. Insurance companies tend to view them as being higher risk which also doesn't help with policy pricing.

Saying that all cars will have high insurance is factually incorrect. You may not have £200 quotes on other vehicles, but chances are you'd be able to insure something else (still decent, I don't mean a tiny tin box with a 50hp engine) for around the £500-£700 mark...if insurance prices are of issue. Your initial posts about this all showed you're concerned about insurance prices, hence suggesting not driving a vehicle that's likely to carry a higher premium (especially for a younger driver).

I was/am not bashing Audi or any other brands, just pointing out it's going to have a higher insurance premium than other just as suitable vehicles.

What you're missing is the fact it's a 'premium' car has an immaterial impact on the premium. I didn't say it has no impact at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
maybe the UK should adopt northern Irish scheme ... do they get cheaper insurance rates ?
I didn't know the Restricted speed limit scheme is replaced

Sorry to be that guy but this is for south of Ireland, or just Ireland as most people call it.
N.Ireland uses R plates for Restricted with similar limitations as N plates. I thought the rest of the UK used R plates too?

Man of Honour
Sorry to be that guy but this is for south of Ireland, or just Ireland as most people call it.
N.Ireland uses R plates for Restricted with similar limitations as N plates. I thought the rest of the UK used R plates too?
Nope, some people put P plates on which are supposed to be a warning to other drivers that they may be a bit rubbish but they're totally optional.

Associate
Nope, some people put P plates on which are supposed to be a warning to other drivers that they may be a bit rubbish but they're totally optional.
I believe in Australia P plates are required for all new drivers for a min 6 months after their test (in some cases up to 3 years). While under P plates they're also limited with their cars (no forced induction, etc), zero blood alcohol limit, no phone use (even hands free or bluetooth), reduced points before ban and I think some regions also have a limit to only 1 passenger under 21 between 11pm and 5am (to prevent groups of kids egging each other on).

Tbh, makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Back
Top Bottom