Burgled twice... Another ins. claim?

Soldato
End of April, I was in China, garage got broke into by some local scumbags trying to steal a bike. 1 got sent down, the other 2 got let off, nothing got stolen. I claimed on the house insurance as the garage door is buggered and a few things got damaged. They've settled and the cash is en route although not yet arrived in my acc.

Tonight, I checked some motion alerts on the Ring Doorbell when I got out of the shower and the door had been prized open again, exactly the same as round 1. Went outside and called the cops, this time they managed to take the bike.

Police are now out looking for it and have sent me a crime number.

Tomorrow morning I'll be phoning the insurance.
1) They sent a guy out to secure the garage, obviously not very well
2) I am yet to receive the cash, therefore haven't had it replaced.
3) They paid out for bike once, effectively writing it off? I now claim for the fact it has been stolen?

Sorry if I've missed any key facts here...
And yes, I appreciate someone will point out that I'm mad for leaving the bike in there when someone obviously has their eye on it!

Anyway,
Thanks for your input as always :)

Soldato
In theory you should be put back into a position you were in before the burglary, i.e. Functioning garage door and bike (plus no other broken bits). I'm surprised they paid out for the bike if it wasn't actually stolen the first time.

Soldato
OP
It was damaged by them trying to get it out. Needs new back wheel, brake disc and rear mech. They paid out £1200 for it as that is what they deemed a replacement would cost.
This time it's gone...

Soldato
It was damaged by them trying to get it out. Needs new back wheel, brake disc and rear mech. They paid out £1200 for it as that is what they deemed a replacement would cost.
This time it's gone...

So they've effectively stolen a broken bike :D, I'm assuming it hadn't yet been repaired seeing as you hadn't been paid yet.

My point is the settlement you're receiving is enough to replace the bike and fix the garage door. They won't pay out more as there's nothing further to replace - unless of course additional damage occurred during the second burglary.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I'm not sure why you'd want to claim again?

Does anything additionally need repairing or replacing now that the first payout doesn't cover?

Soldato
So,

You are stating that they were able to break in the second time partially as a consequence of your failing to adequately secure the property after the first burglary because you felt it was the INCOS job to do this for you?

Do I have this right?

So,

You are stating that they were able to break in the second time partially as a consequence of your failing to adequately secure the property after the first burglary because you felt it was the INCOS job to do this for you?

Do I have this right?

Often ins policies say they will make it secure (emergency locksmith etc), if they failed to do so its not the Ops fault is it. It must be quite difficult to affect a temporary repair on a garage door to be fair though

Soldato
If the repair was inadequate, (presumably you inspected it though), then maybe that company are partly responsible,

but, moreover, following the first break in, did insurance demand information on the lock/door type ?
... since, for my policy, you need a qualifying door, or the bike has to be tethered.

Soldato
OP
So they've effectively stolen a broken bike :D, I'm assuming it hadn't yet been repaired seeing as you hadn't been paid yet.

My point is the settlement you're receiving is enough to replace the bike and fix the garage door. They won't pay out more as there's nothing further to replace - unless of course additional damage occurred during the second burglary.

The settlement was enough to repair the bike yes... Not enough to replace it as it transpires now that I've checked the claim summary, I got paid out ~£700 for the bike. Stating, for repair.

I'm not sure why you'd want to claim again?

Does anything additionally need repairing or replacing now that the first payout doesn't cover?

Other than the bike, I'm not sure yet. Waiting for CSI to come round this AM before I go in and touch anything. I barracaded the door last night with a mates van so can't really see much right now.

So,

Do I have this right?

The property was secured by the insurance company, pending a new door. Their garage door suppliers couldn't fit a suitable door, they would have reduced the opening a fair chuck so my old beetle would no longer have fitted. Therefore I cash settled, with the intention of getting a more suitable door fitted that allowed me to use the garage as intended.
Cash has not yet arrived, so I haven't had the replacement sorted yet.

Yes I did feel it was their job, as they sent out a security firm specifically to make the garage secure.
Not entirely sure what your point is?

Soldato
OP
This is absolutely standard for thieves: they visit once and revisit after your insurance has come through.

Yep, I'd agree. They knew the camera was there... Faces covered up accordingly. Also exact same method of entry, they knew how weak that door was first time round, now with a crease in it it was like cheese.

Often ins policies say they will make it secure (emergency locksmith etc), if they failed to do so its not the Ops fault is it. It must be quite difficult to affect a temporary repair on a garage door to be fair though

Agreed, once CSI go I'll be welding it shut with 25mm box bracings.

Soldato

If My home was insecure and I knew it to be insecure I would do something about it.

I wouldn't just sit back and wail about how it was everybody elses fault that I got burgled again.

Obviously, I dont know the precise circumstances, but I would have thought a couple of sheets of OSB and a box of screws could make a pretty secure job of it with doing a proper job once the ins money comes through.

If My home was insecure and I knew it to be insecure I would do something about it.

I wouldn't just sit back and wail about how it was everybody elses fault that I got burgled again.

Obviously, I dont know the precise circumstances, but I would have thought a couple of sheets of OSB and a box of screws could make a pretty secure job of it with doing a proper job once the ins money comes through.

Well a home could be different, but its not a home is it, its a garage. Your obviously in the wrong trade if you can do a better job than the people the ins co sent for the minimal amount they would be working on to affix a temporary repair.

If someone under their remit has performed a substandard job then thats their call if the policy specifically states they will undertake remedial action (as they normally do), they frequently say to make it safe, with often waffle about how they know it will be a difficult time feeling insecure etc. Its actually a point a lot of ins cos try to use as a differentiator. Being quick to react etc, listened to the adverts?

If you started messing around then you would become jointly liable in a case such as this, worse they could even refuse to payout if it was clear you had changed what they had done as they would have no way of knowing if what you had done was up to scratch.

Soldato
The settlement was enough to repair the bike yes... Not enough to replace it as it transpires now that I've checked the claim summary, I got paid out ~£700 for the bike. Stating, for repair.

Ah that makes sense now, your first two posts suggested the payout was for replacement rather than repair.

Based on what you've said, i don't think it should be too hard to put in a full claim for the bike now. Garage doors can be reasonably expensive, and if you needed a bespoke door, can take a bit of time to make+deliver+fit. So wouldn't be reasonable to expect you to have fitted a new door the day following the original burglary - especially as it's been 2+ weeks and they're dragging their feet with the payout.

Frankly i would say they're in a better position now, can you imagine if they'd paid out £700 for repairs to the bike (which you then repaired), and then it got stolen. They'd then have to pay out another £1200 (or whatever the replacement cost is), at least now they only have to 'top-up' the claim.

Soldato
OP

Might I also add from the op

I was in China

:D

Back
Top Bottom