DVLA Clamps

Yesterday leaving work I pass a few cars parked on a mainish road, as i drove past I noticed one was clamped, but didn't see anything more other than some documentation in a plastic thing on the windscreen

This morning coming in i use a slightly different route, but on the way down the road I noticed 2 more clamped vehicles, could have been more but these stood out. They were an orangey red but had DVLA written on them.

I assume these are maybe road tax dodgers?

I have never seen this before, but 3 in a small area must mean they pickup hotspots and send someone to deal with it?

Soldato
Think they do it in waves. Every couple of months round here you'll see a god 5 -10 cars on a estate clamped. Makes financial sense for them.

Send one van to a location for a day with lots of clamps, instead of several locations per day.

Soldato
Dunno why they don't just pay someone to do it all day every day. Surely it would more than pay their wages in certain areas.

Soldato
Dunno why they don't just pay someone to do it all day every day. Surely it would more than pay their wages in certain areas.
Nobody is gonna do that job cheaply.

Imagine the hassle they get, i suspect most the cars that get clamped are never re taxed so get taken away and scrapped. Which incur more costs.

Soldato
Nobody is gonna do that job cheaply.

Imagine the hassle they get, i suspect most the cars that get clamped are never re taxed so get taken away and scrapped. Which incur more costs.

Not to mention the fact that I dare say a goodly proportion of the clamped vehicles will be registered to people with names like Abdul or Mohmed and whoever doing the clamping will end up like this guy.

(Either that or end up facing accusations of "Racisim" )

Not to mention the fact that I dare say a goodly proportion of the clamped vehicles will be registered to people with names like Abdul or Mohmed and whoever doing the clamping will end up like this guy.

(Either that or end up facing accusations of "Racisim" )

I say the opposite personally.
In my experience its Brits that seem to try to shirk these things far more than anyone else

Unless you actually have some data that shows differently?

I doubt the traffic warden or clamper knows much info most of the time. Driver does not correlate to owner on a significant portion of cars/vans etc in the UK

Soldato
This has happened quite a few times over the years around here oddly on some higher end cars i would have expected it to be bangers mostly.

Oh and PS.

There is plenty of evidence that the elimination of the "Tax Disk" and the change in the rules has increased the number of cars that end up being untaxed.

This cannot simply be as a result of large numbers of people suddenly deciding to drive around in untaxed cars.

It has to be because a lot of people, for whatever reasons, find the new system hard to deal with.

I guess there are two main camps of people who aren't paying, those who took notice of the physical disc, these I believe are probably a minority. I rarely took any notice of mine, and I don't believe many others would have either. i think the majority using this excuse are just doing that using an excuse.

We all get a physical reminder when its due, even if you have a tax exempt vehicle you still need to go online and tax it, just its free at the payment stage.

Personally my bet is that most of these people are just trying it on. They probably listen to people who said rubbish like "they wont worry about it, or be bothered to chase it up, or know if you paid it or not", we all come across these sorts of people.

I still don't get how people can cope in life with things like insurance (which functions in exactly the same way) yet somehow need a paper disc in their car windscreen to get them to tax it.
I would bet there is a high chance the same people have no/incorrect insurance and possibly no/dodgy MOT.

Associate
New system is super easy letter in the post and few minutes on the pc later all done for another year. The older system of having to go to the stupid post office with all the paperwork was a PITA.

If you can remember to MOT insure and service a vehicle you have no excuse for forgetting VED.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom