*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
So since catching the bug...my setup includes..

VM SH3 (Vivid 500 but running at 300!)
SH3 (wireless off but providing routing)
Unifi US-8-60W
AP-AC-Lite (downstairs)
AP-NanoHD (upstairs)

I’m itching to get a router so I can put the SH3 into modem mode and forget about it. Any recommendations? Clearly the USG is coming to the end of its life, any idea when a replacement will be available? If not any other brands I should be looking at?

Soldato
The new USG is probably several months off. The first of the new generation of USG devices, the Unifi Dream Machine, which is a combination Access Point/router/4 port switch is still listed in the Early Access store and that means it’s still not close to launch. The true successors to the current USG line-up still unannounced but the fundamentals will be the same as the router part of the UDM so they should have a swift route to market.

If what you have works, then I’d leave it. If you want/need more security features then a NUC or NUC type device running Untangle in bridge mode will give you a zero impact upgrade. Just leave the SH3 in place as a router and everything will work like now but with a second UTM solution in your network.

[Edit]Or put the Untangle device in router mode. All good there too.[/Edit]

Last edited:
Soldato
The new USG is probably several months off. The first of the new generation of USG devices, the Unifi Dream Machine, which is a combination Access Point/router/4 port switch is still listed in the Early Access store and that means it’s still not close to launch. The true successors to the current USG line-up still unannounced but the fundamentals will be the same as the router part of the UDM so they should have a swift route to market.

If what you have works, then I’d leave it. If you want/need more security features then a NUC or NUC type device running Untangle in bridge mode will give you a zero impact upgrade. Just leave the SH3 in place as a router and everything will work like now but with a second UTM solution in your network.

[Edit]Or put the Untangle device in router mode. All good there too.[/Edit]
Thanks that is useful...I think I’ll hold out for USG Mk2!

Soldato
I'm having Fttp fitted at my restaurant soon. I have adsl at both sites (one is underground one is ground level) they are not connected per se. But upstairs its currently using the wifi from downstairs but its patchy.

I'm after a AP that will cover both sites and handle 20+ users at once. We have capacity for 90 covers at the restaurant but I'm not expecting everyone to use our wifi as we have good 4g coverage in the area.

I have AC-pro's at home and like them. I also like the controller etc. So am happy to stick with ubiquiti

Edit to add ADSL at the upstairs is temp 30 days contract until FTTP is fitted

Caporegime
Yes buddy, the range is mental on this thing . 1 ap does the whole house lol

What size of house? Where did you install it?

I am thinking of either putting 1 in the attic facing downwards or upstairs landing on the ceiling.

I currently have issues with the front of the house (nest doorbell) where I can get random disconnects. Especially when the wife uses the hoover it seems to cause interference.

I have just ordered a nanohd should be here tomorrow but won't install until the weekend most likely.

Soldato
I'm having Fttp fitted at my restaurant soon. I have adsl at both sites (one is underground one is ground level) they are not connected per se. But upstairs its currently using the wifi from downstairs but its patchy.

I'm after a AP that will cover both sites and handle 20+ users at once. We have capacity for 90 covers at the restaurant but I'm not expecting everyone to use our wifi as we have good 4g coverage in the area.

I have AC-pro's at home and like them. I also like the controller etc. So am happy to stick with ubiquiti

Can you mount the AP on the ceiling?

Caporegime

You want to connect them as high up and obstruction free as possible in order to act like a tower transmitting in all directions below.

So you would want one AP upstairs on the ceiling penetrating into the floor below. Rather than have it downstairs.

Associate
I have 3 AC-Lites, one on each landing and one in the hall. Foil backed plaster board can play havoc with them. Better to install them on the ceiling than in the attic. I run an i3 NUC for Homeseer, it also runs as the Ubiquiti Unifi controller, works very well.

Soldato
You want to connect them as high up and obstruction free as possible in order to act like a tower transmitting in all directions below.

So you would want one AP upstairs on the ceiling penetrating into the floor below. Rather than have it downstairs.
Can you mount the AP on the ceiling?

Yeah I can mount on the ceiling no problem. My current netgear router penetrates from downstairs to upstairs even through 17 inches of concrete albeit with two glass ceiling/floor lights.

Do yo guys think an ACpro would suffice. I've currently got 2 at home one on the ground floor and one in the loft servicing the the upper floors. And we no longer have any dead spots in the house.
1 AP should easily cover both sites I'm just thinking throughput and number of users. We can cater for about 130 covers over the two sites.

Man of Honour
Those with a USG, has anyone bothered using an alternate DNS server? Running a homelab, I find the USG a bit of a pain to be honest, mucking about adding static entries via command line etc.

Back
Top Bottom