• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vega 56 playing up - gaming and productivity

Soldato
I have a strange issue - when I am gaming, the game plays fine, then after about 30 mins or so, the monitor will glitch slightly and then cut - only way to get a response is to do a fat finger reset. The sound still plays - so I think the game is still running.

However, this also happens irregularly during web browsing / productivity. Same issue, same fix.

Nothing in my rig has changed, however, it may be a PSU issue? You will banish me to the PC gods, but I am using a Corsair VS650. It has however been fine for 7-8 months with no issues. Before I buy a new PSU (which I might buy anyway), is there anything else you could recommend doing? I have tried rolling back drivers, but still happens.

Associate
Try a different Display port/HMDI lead and or a different output? Are you running the GPU off two separate power cables from the PSU and what are your GPU temps like?

Soldato
OP
Try a different Display port/HMDI lead and or a different output? Are you running the GPU off two separate power cables from the PSU and what are your GPU temps like?

I will try using a different output - unfortunately, I only have the 1 DP cable, but can try HDMI.

Temps are fine, never reaching over 70-75 degrees in BO4. But cable wise to the GPU, I am using one cable split into 2. Again, I know this isn't recommended, but has been working fine.

Associate
I have exactly same issue with my Vega 56, Sapphire RX to be precise. I did think my old 550W Gold PSU was not enough so I upgraded 750W Seasonic 80 Plus Gold. Nothing changed.
Then I thought my old monitor is playing up so got a new one, still same issue. Every time it crashes I get message saying that my "Radeon Global Settings" have been reset to default (they are always default).

Started combing AMD forums for more info and it appears to be driver issue, lots of Vega 56 owners complaining and experiencing same or similar crashes. AMD responded saying that they are looking into this and promising to sort it out via driver updates.
With latest drivers my crashes are less frequent and depends on the game I play but during browsing/productivity sessions all seems to be OK now.

Associate
I would recommend using ddu to completely remove the driver and reinstall. At this point you have nothing to loose.

Soldato
I will try using a different output - unfortunately, I only have the 1 DP cable, but can try HDMI.

Temps are fine, never reaching over 70-75 degrees in BO4. But cable wise to the GPU, I am using one cable split into 2. Again, I know this isn't recommended, but has been working fine.

It's never recommended to use a split cable into a GPU, I believe. I'd use separate cables as a first try at curing your problem.

Associate
The last 2 19. series of drivers have been stable on my V56, All the previous 19. drivers caused me problems, It's almost as if them optimising the R7 drivers has had a negative effect on the V56 in some cases?

Soldato
OP
I managed to buy a rm850x from a competitors eBay store for £103 during the 15% off code the other day. I know it is overkill, but the 750 version was £95, so was worth the extra cash in my view.

No problems, and my computer is dead silent now! Turns out, the PSU was by far the noisiest part of the computer. Also the GPU has 2 power connectors rather than the 1 split. Doesn't seem to be any problems in games which is good.

Thanks for your help!

Associate
Untitled.png

Suggested by one of the users and then recommended by AMD community/forum boffin. Something to do with caching old data which causes this problem.

Back
Top Bottom