I can't figure out how scales would work with big boxes

Caporegime
I'm trying to weigh big boxes. The boxes are say 60x60x60 (cm)

All the scales I see for relatively fair prices are around 25-30cm. Obviously if I put a 60cm box on this I am going to have "overhang" is the only thing I can describe it as.

The thing my brain can't comprehend is, will I get accurate weight measurements even with overhang or will the whole box need to be put on say a 60c+m scale?
Dammit Greg, we talked about this! Stand yourself on the scales and hold the big box facing downwards - make a note of the weight. Now turn the box so that you're holding it upwards - make a note of this weight as well. Come off the scales and add both the top weight and the bottom weight together to give you the overall weight of the box. Remember to subtract your own weight from this figure!

What do they teach kids in schools these days? :confused:

Soldato
Just squish the box to fit on the scales, you could put a belt (gucci of course) around the box and pull it really tight. Also try putting the big box on a treadmill and cutting it in 2, so you have 2 boxes.

Caporegime

All the scales I see for relatively fair prices are around 25-30cm. Obviously if I put a 60cm box on this I am going to have "overhang" is the only thing I can describe it as.

The thing my brain can't comprehend is, will I get accurate weight measurements even with overhang or will the whole box need to be put on say a 60c+m scale?

Ah, please don't listen to the n00bs in this thread, they were probably vaccinated as children - I see that you're a truther, someone who knows that gravity is "just a theory".

As you know gravity doesn't exist and we're actually subject to "intelligent pulling", by creating an overhang on the scales you're subjecting the box to additional pulling forces... so yes, you do need bigger scales, your scales should be at least as big as the box else they just won't work.

Soldato
Don't listen to all the muppets above - you need to use multiple scales. Ideally, as many as you can fit under the box.

Let's, for example, say that number is 4, and that the readout on each scales is 20KG.

What you now need to do, is divide 20KG by the number of scales, so 4, and you'll be left with your final mass (weight).

Soldato
Don't listen to all the muppets above - you need to use multiple scales. Ideally, as many as you can fit under the box.

Let's, for example, say that number is 4, and that the readout on each scales is 20KG.

What you now need to do, is divide 20KG by the number of scales, so 4, and you'll be left with your final mass (weight).

By this point, I can't tell if this is a joke or someone making a genuine error. :confused:

Either way, what you actually do is put the box under the scales lie on the floor and lift the box above you. This way you can have the dial part of the scale overhanging the edge of the box without the box overbalancing and resting on the floor. Just look up and see what the weight is.

Associate
Put scales upside down on glass table.
Put big box on underneath side of scales.
Make like Cliff Richard and look up through the glass to see what's going on.

Soldato
Put scales upside down on glass table.
Put big box on underneath side of scales.
Make like Cliff Richard and look up through the glass to see what's going on.

This doesn't sound safe. Instead, place box in bath, fill to brim with water. Remove box. Refill bath to brim, this time recording how long it takes and multiply by flow rate of the taps. Take the resulting volume of water and multiply by density. Eureka.

(Note, you may need to add ballast to the box to make it float and not just rest on the bottom. So put a few balloons in there first.)

Soldato

Overhang is fine but do try to make it center, the problem you may have is being able to read the display with the box overhang covering it. You will only have 15 cm overhang at each end.

Soldato
This doesn't sound safe. Instead, place box in bath, fill to brim with water. Remove box. Refill bath to brim, this time recording how long it takes and multiply by flow rate of the taps. Take the resulting volume of water and multiply by density. Eureka.

(Note, you may need to add ballast to the box to make it float and not just rest on the bottom. So put a few balloons in there first.)

If you put the balloons in the box, are they full of air or empty?

/schrodinger

Back
Top Bottom