Road Tripping in the USA!

Soldato
I’m flying from LA to Hong Kong in July, and will have just under a week free on each side. Flights from my location to LAX aren’t that cheap at the moment, so I’m considering driving. I drove to Miami at Xmas I’m order to fly to the UK and really enjoyed it, mainly because there were lots of interesting places en route. I’m used to long distance driving so that isn’t a concern. Is there anything worth seeing between Monterrey (Mexico) and LA assuming I take the google maps suggested route? I’m not too familiar with Arizona / New Mexico and don’t want to be driving hours off the highway to visit attractions: if there’s nothing much to see I’ll just fly instead.

Soldato
I used a Thee SIM for my first few trips and it was fine for Google Maps, web browsing and the usual bits and pieces you'd need to get about. Never streamed music so can't comment.

On my last 2 trips I had an EE Max plan which included USA roaming free of charge.

Soldato
Just landed in LA....Unfortunately plane (direct) had 4 hour delay and 2 hours thru immigration, but on the plus side got a 5l v8 mustang for 17 days! Woo!

Only paid for convertible spec and not particularly the v8 5litre. Read online its 460hp.... My cars at home are sub 100bhp :p so bit of an upgrade

Got a mostsim from amazon (T-Mobile carrier) and thats working well too.

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest, Voda isn't one I looked at abr briefly seeing a mention of it on monthly contracts. I'll have a look though, if it's available on PAYG then that's going to be the better option I suspect. I currently have my main phone on EE with the spare on Three, EE's costs are ludicrous when aboard which is a shame.

Voda looks ideal: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/best-sim-only-deals

E: Ah, no, it's sim only pay monthly that can get full roaming under the Red Entertainment plans, PAYG plans can only roam in the usual 48 countries.

Just got back from US and we used Vodafone. We spoke to customer services and upgraded our contracts to the correct package that allows roaming in the US. It was £6 a month more. The customer services representative explicitly told us that when we returned, we should contact them again within 30 days and cancel the upgrade and be reverted back to our old plan.

Associate
Read a lot of this thread over the last few days and its inspired me. However, America is for another time, but has anyone done a roadtrip in Norway?

Would like to hear tips/advice if so. Looking at either September or November this year.

Associate
Yeah read that it isn't cheap, although not sure anywhere is these days given the strength of the pound.

Wouldn't be our car, we'd hire. Apparently all hire cars in Norway come with winter tyres fitted.

Associate
Just booked up for Canada in September into October. Flying into Calgary, pick up hire car. 1 week in an air BnB apartment in Canmore, lots of hiking and exploring. 2nd week driving to Jasper and staying in Alpine Village (looks incredible). Going to be a very active holiday...well honeymoon. On the way home we are going to stop I'm Vancouver for 3 nights as well. Can't bloody wait.

Car hire much the same as in America in terms of included insurances?

Soldato
We are apparently getting a "Nissan Maxima or equivalent" from Alamo for 11 days in September... could have gotten a mustang or something but we figured since we'll have quite a lot of baggage and aren't really too fussed about cars etc. just want something that will be comfortable with air-con etc. Hopefully it'll be alright!

Man of Honour
OP
Just booked up for Canada in September into October. Flying into Calgary, pick up hire car. 1 week in an air BnB apartment in Canmore, lots of hiking and exploring. 2nd week driving to Jasper and staying in Alpine Village (looks incredible). Going to be a very active holiday...well honeymoon. On the way home we are going to stop I'm Vancouver for 3 nights as well. Can't bloody wait.

Careful with October - weather can be very variable and if the snow begins it might stop quite a few of your plans. Canadian hire cars do not have winter tyres, IME.

Car hire much the same as in America in terms of included insurances?

No - there is generally an excess on Canadian rentals.

Associate
Careful with October - weather can be very variable and if the snow begins it might stop quite a few of your plans. Canadian hire cars do not have winter tyres, IME.

No - there is generally an excess on Canadian rentals.

Hoping we will be ok. We arrive on the 16th of September and fly to Vancouver on the 30th. I do have some backup hikes planned at lower elevations if snow starts falling though.

Just best booking through the Canadian rental sites then?

Back
Top Bottom