What film did you watch last night?

Associate
The Curse of La Llorona (2019) - 2/10

The film starts off ok with a good setting and premise, but after about halfway through it becomes a generic jump scare fest with no real horror or surprises.

The story doesn’t go anywhere, the characters don’t develop, the acting never excels, and by the final act, it all gets a bit silly.

The only scary parts are the odd jump scare in the first act – there’s no creeping sense of dread or tension, no political commentary, and no originality.

A real disappointment.

Soldato
Iron Sky 2 : The Coming Race - Hot Garbage/10 if taken seriously but 10/10 for funny cringe - Like Sharknado, the Iron Sky series is a cultural oddity, where the film is purposely meant to be "so bad it's good" yet unlike Sharknado the Iron Sky franchise hasn't quite gone viral yet.

Anyway, as for the plot well........Moon Hitler is a alien living in a Nazi base on the dark side of the moon and the base is the last human refuge after the alien US President Sarah Palin and Putin nuke the world. Meanwhile the rest of Moon Hitlers human-eating alien friends (inc Caligula, Maggie Thatcher, Bin Laden and Real Hitler) live at the hollow centre of the earth with the last remaining dinosaurs they dragged there 65m years ago. With supplies running critically low at the Nazi Moon Base, a small group need to sneak into the centre of the hollow earth and steal a "insert random McGuffin" from the aliens with which they hope to power their last remain spaceship and escape to Mars.

I won't spoil the end but I will say this "Alien Real Hitler riding a Tyrannosaurus in a Nazi Moon Base" - :D:D:D:D:D

Pca0E3Y.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Saw John Wick 3 yesterday, absolutely loved it. It follows on from the 2nd movie but for me it is far better than the 2nd one. Lots of great fight scenes with a lot more weapons than just the standard guns and the other characters gets a bit more screen time too. 9/10

Caporegime
Retreat.

Cillian Murphy takes Thandie Newton on a weekend holiday to rebuild their damaged relationship, and it all goes to crap! :eek:

The couple travels to a remote island (via a ferry service provided by Jimmy Yuill, of all people!) where a quaint old stone cottage offers respite from the frantic pace of London.

Less than 3 days into their stay they are confronted by a curiously manic Jamie Bell, who warns that a fatal epidemic is sweeping across the nation, and they must secure the cottage to keep the virus out. As Bell becomes increasingly deranged, Murphy and Newton grow suspicious of his motive and claims.

When Murphy ventures outside at night and discovers Jimmy Yuill's dead body on the shore, he is forced to consider that unpleasant shenanigans may be afoot.

This slow burning contribution to the popular and well established Cottage Noir genre is carried right to the end on the capable shoulders of Jamie Bell, who exudes menace and desperation in equal measure.

I rate Retreat at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a competent 7/10 on IMDB.

Soldato
Beats

By Brian Welsh who also directed the memory implant episode of Black Mirror.

Pretty 'simple' film but thought it was excellent. As a fan of electronic music and rave culture this was right up my street. It felt like a rollercoaster of emotions and had the best dance soundtrack I've heard since Hackers.

9/10

Soldato
"The Silence" on Netflix. I love a good monster movie and so this is right up my street. The premise is fine, the acting good, the SFX reasonable but, in the end, it feels like a TV movie or a pilot for a series. It's not a movie you can half watch though as there are frequent subtitles (as the characters have to remain silent or die). It's not derivative of 'A quiet place' in any major way, which was nice.
One odd thing is that there is really no characterisation of the 'bad guy' in any noticeable way. He's just bad and that's all you get.
I'd rate it 6/10.

Associate
Yep saw JW3 : Parabellum last night. Haven't felt this good coming out of a cinema in ages. Amazing action sequences which were brutal in places. It wont win any Oscars, but hey we knew that anyway. Leave Brain outside cinema and strap yourself in for a wild ride. Oh I lied....Best Actor and Supporting Actor to those two German Shepards.....WoW! :D

Associate
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019) - 7/10

A tongue in cheek action film with lots of well-choreographed over the top fight scenes but not much else.

It’s very stylish in both the setting and action scenes and the light hearted moments are fun, but the lackluster plot and protracted fight scenes meant I was bored of it by the end.

Soldato
John Wick 3

As I expected, more of the same which is not a bad thing IMO.
Good film, not much of a plot if I'm honest but then you already know that, the ending was a bit mmmmm....... but all set up for John Wick 4

7.9/10

Caporegime
The Hoard.

When controversial director Jesse Thomas Cook said he was planning a movie about a pensioner who hoarded junk in multiple houses, critics were quick to respond that it would crash and burn. Skepticism remained high, even after Cook pointed out that he had hired Tony Burgess to write it.

Then Cook brought Matt Wiele on board as co-director, and suddenly people were paying attention.

The cast is solid: Lisa Solberg, Ry Barrett, Elma Begovic, Marcus Ludlow, Justin Darmanin and of course the wildly popular cult favourite, Barry More. Even Tony Burgess gets a cameo of his own.

Set in Rockford, Ontario but filmed primarily in Owen Sound because of the Muslims, this edgy mockumentary punches far above its weight. In November 2018, Brad Miska described The Hoard as 'the film', and 'premiering this month.' It's hard to disagree.

Let's get two things out of the way first: yes, the The Hoard is indie, and the budget was small (Cook still refuses to release details) so I kept my expectations low. But I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised.

The plot is a great horror/comedy mashup with a lot more wit than I expected, and a couple of basic twists that add to the flavour. Performances are enthusiastic and satisfying. Cinematography is on point. Colour pallette is challenging, but not overwrought. Humour is dark and sharp (as it should be) with just a tiny drop of easily forgivable slapstick.

I rate The Hoard at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a highly engaging 7/10 on IMDB.

Soldato
See You Yesterday 6/10

Produced by Spike Lee. Decent time travel story although predicable.

It does have the most awesome cameo at the start and a brilliant line relating to the time travel classic the actor starred in.

Caporegime
BlackkKlansman

Great film, shows how nutty some of the KKK were. Some amusing bits (from the character) also which made it more light hearted per-se.

Probably an 8/10 from me as I'd recommend it

Soldato
John Wick 3 - 8/10 - Baba Yaga's back and the body-count is stunning! TBF the "plot" is just an excuse to move between set pieces which, for most films would be more of a negative for it works here, maybe because I like the franchise I'm willing to pass things I'd criticise in others. The stunts are the star yet again and this time John has help in the shape of and absolutely excellent Halle Berry in a fairly long cameo role which, apart from a nice side-plot with heart-felt story, means she's trained just like Keanu and it really shows.

The rest of the supporting cast yet again do a fantastic job, especially the bosses at the Continental, although "The Adjudicator" is just playing the same character as her one in Billions so while it's not a negative, it's no big stretch for her. The action moves around to several locations which helps split the film into it's 3 main parts and the cinematography is fantastic so my only real complaint is more a necessity-based one, in that they only have so many stuntmen to play Bad Guys so the generic henchmen all wear some form of mask which gets a bit boring to see.

Soldato
John Wick Chapter 2 - crazy stuff from start to finish but put together so well that it somehow works. Will watch the third one at some stage! 4/5

Soldato
Rambo: First Blood - 9/10.

Rewatched this via UHD Blu-Ray and it looked brilliant. Such a great film, I only discovered it a few years ago having mistakenly thought it would be like the sequels and it isn’t at all. Now one of my favourites I think :)

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Ghost in the shell ( 2017 )

Love the anime, but the live action version?, hmmmm not so much, it was a competent enough film but just seemed to lack "something".

The cgi & physical special effects were good as was the acting but the direction on the other hand only did the job, some of the shots were lifted straight out of the anime & recreated shot for shot to great effect, the over all "feel" of the movie to my mind stayed true to the original anime source material tho some of the dialogue how ever was a bit poor and repetitive, on the whole it should've been a pretty good movie but it missed the mark some how, and i can't help but feel that that's down Rupert Sanders playing it far too safe in his interpretation of Ghost in the shell, i really don't think he was the right director for the job.

It could & should have been a great movie, the potential was certainly there, how ever it settled for being merely competent & i came away feeling some what disappointed by the end result.

5.5 out of 10

Back
Top Bottom