The Batman (Matt Reeves)

Soldato
Yet another soft reboot, but unlike his predecessor Zach Snyder, I've actually enjoyed a lot of Matt Reeves' work. This is scheduled for a 2021 release, so still a long ways off, but there's news this morning that Robert Pattinson is the front runner to don the cowl. A decent choice I reckon - he's shown that he has a lot more strings to his bow since Twilight, and has been hired by directors such as Cronenberg, Nolan, and Herzog.

I'm not sure what exactly they can do with Batman though, unless they maybe take one of the better unique comic arcs and film that. Definitely don't want to see another generic hero origin movie.

Soldato
I think Batman as a character is great, I just find most of the representations of him as a bit shallow. Bruce Wayne’s genius and the whole Worlds greatest detective bit is always underplayed. I’d like something a bit more thriller/drama based where the super hero spectacle is played down a bit and only used sparingly for

Soldato
I know the studio has to make money but yet another reboot so soon and whilst the "Justice League" is still there, it just seems like a big risk? I know Afleck wanted to leave but if they reboot Batman again then what do they do with the remaining Justice League characters - scrap them despite Wonder Woman and Aquaman being hits or just take the hit and leave out/recast yet again Batman?

Anyway, yet again DC are showing what a shambles the studio is compared to Marvel.

Caporegime
I think Batman as a character is great, I just find most of the representations of him as a bit shallow. Bruce Wayne’s genius and the whole Worlds greatest detective bit is always underplayed. I’d like something a bit more thriller/drama based where the super hero spectacle is played down a bit and only used sparingly for

I enjoyed the Arkham video game trilogy. He does a lot more detecting in the side quests.

Soldato
That and this film isnt part of a universe or anything, more of a stand alone like the Joker movie, its meant to be far more detective based etc.

Soldato

Batman would be better as a high budget TV series, the character has so much to him having him punch people for 3 hours and using a gravelly accent just doesn't capture him.

Wish they would just leave the character alone and DC in general give up on adaptions as they are just godawful at at despite having better source material (arguably)

Soldato
The problem with Batman is he isn't just Batman he's also Bruce Waynce, so you need an actor who can play both roles successfully and nobody has really managed that yet

Bale was a decent Bruce Wayne
Affleck was a decent Batman (although more Frank Miller Dark Knight than normal comic Batman)
Keaton was okay at Batman too but his Bruce was awful

Associate
I agree with much that has been said.

You really need to showcase a few key things regarding Batman in order to get it right:

Bruce Wayne
Batman
Detective Skills
And the development into all that, which is something near impossible to do properly with Films and Movies that come out every few years

Personally, assuming WB are thinking like I am (and most likely not), you want this new Batman to be younger definitely, but showcase the Detective Skills portion, and the slow decent into what we encountered with Affleck during Batman v Superman (or something close enough to that to tie them all together; someone who has lost their way of being a "hero" and just stayed a vigilante instead as all he faced were crazy lunatics; like the Joker). But I'd also personally keep Affleck arround for current time Batman and Justice League until they can do a Flashpoint soft reset of some kind. Have the best of all worlds.

Regarding Robert Pattinson, I don't mind the guy, it's just there's something "off" about their face that I don't like (think it's the lips). Seems more villain than any sort of "dark" hero. Not only that, as mentioned by others, somewhat scrawny (Another reason why I'd rather keep Affleck around until a changeover happens, but back to topic, scrawny ala Zachery Levi in size and frame so needing a suit). If they put him with any of the other leaguers in the same scene, he's going to look REALLY out of place (either suit looks terrible, or looks tiny compared to others). There's only so much padded suits can help if the rest of you isn't up to par. And of course, I don't see Pattinson being the type to train up an acceptable size, and largely maintain it for many years as the others have done.

In short, you need someone for the long haul (prepared to stick around), or someone willing to go long haul that is. And I don't think Pattinson is that person unfortunately. Henry, despite all the controversy over contracts or what have you, at least is interested in the role of Superman. Pattinson, having the Twilight stuff behind him, doesn't seem like the type to stick around after at most 3 films.

Soldato
The problem with Batman is that he is fully human, relying on intelligence and tech; but poetic licence in the comics and cartoons affords him almost super powers as you would expect.

This means for live action the principle of the character either works in a full comic / cartoon universe like the Adam West series or Batman & Robin / Batman Forever films; or a more realistic human but dark universe like the Burton or Nolan films.

In the live action DC Justice League universe he doesn't work at all. Despite the tech and intelligence he is completely out matched by the heroes and demigod / non-human villains. As we saw in the recent films takes some serious beatings, unless fighting a few humans. If he had the Ironman Suit level of tech to protect him, it would make him more viable and credible as a key character. Instead in the live action JL so far he feels like Sam/Falcon as a spare part having to skirt round most battles.

I thought Affleck played him well, as did Bale etc.

Pattinson could be convincing too but as with the others, it needs the right setting.

PayDay Lover
Associate
I think I would rather they made a tv show to add to their streaming service rather than a film. That way the show can be more than just 'Batman' more Bruce, more detective stuff. Of course, I always feel a well made tv show is better than a film

Man of Honour
I thought Affleck was pretty good. The only bad thing about him is that you’re there going “hey - that’s Ben Affleck”. For once, an appropriately hench Batman. I can’t think of any obviously better Batman. Just because Christian Bale was in the best films doesn’t make him automatically the best... but I suppose that helps :p

I never thought I’d get bored of Batman, but....

Permabanned
I thought Affleck was pretty good. The only bad thing about him is that you’re there going “hey - that’s Ben Affleck”. For once, an appropriately hench Batman. I can’t think of any obviously better Batman. Just because Christian Bale was in the best films doesn’t make him automatically the best... but I suppose that helps :p

I never thought I’d get bored of Batman, but....

Thought Affleck just looked fat rather than hench. I guess its just the absolute tripe films he was in rather than being an especially bad Batman.

Back
Top Bottom