I can't figure out how scales would work with big boxes

Associate
Stand on some household scales, look at the weight. Now put your arms out to the side, it stays the same weight, right?

As long as it is only touching the weight and not anything else on the side, it will be fine.

Soldato
I'm trying to weigh big boxes. The boxes are say 60x60x60 (cm)

All the scales I see for relatively fair prices are around 25-30cm. Obviously if I put a 60cm box on this I am going to have "overhang" is the only thing I can describe it as.

The thing my brain can't comprehend is, will I get accurate weight measurements even with overhang or will the whole box need to be put on say a 60c+m scale?

Is this an elaborate troll? Why would overhang affect the total force exerted on the scale?

Commissario
No, of course not, the scale reduces the gravity affecting the box. On the overhang parts where there's a clear line of sight between the box and the floor, the gravity will be stronger and the scale won't be able to calculate it.
His question isn't actually as daft as it might sound.

IIRC depending on the method the scales use to weigh (spring or electronic), design, age and the surface they are on putting the weight on a different part of the platform could give a different result.
Not a major issue for kitchen/household scales, but for larger ones it is an issue especially if you were trying to get an accurate measurement at the edges of it's range.

I remember a set of bathroom scales we had when I was younger that would give varying (but repeatable) differences in weight depending on how you stood on them, iirc if I put my weight on the "back" of the scale it weighed me lighter than if I let my weight settle naturally across the scale (or on the "front" edge). I think it was something worn inside the frame that meant it wasn't operating smoothly if the weight was unevenly distributed.

Soldato
Estimate how many queen wasps would fit in the box. Ask your father if he's ever killed queen wasps for a living (if not, find another father). Weigh him - you can use these scales as long as the father doesn't overhang. Take his weight away from the number of queen wasps, and you have the weight of the box and contents.

Simple.

Underboss
Weigh yourself, hold box, weigh yourself with the box, subtract your weight?

I can’t believe I am even entertaining this tbh...

Associate
OP
In my defence I was drunk.

Apparently I also went on reddit at 3:27am and asked "what was made first, water or dr pepper?????"

Soldato
Estimate how many queen wasps would fit in the box. Ask your father if he's ever killed queen wasps for a living (if not, find another father). Weigh him - you can use these scales as long as the father doesn't overhang. Take his weight away from the number of queen wasps, and you have the weight of the box and contents.

Simple.

:D love it!

Man of Honour
I love the suggestion of standing on the scales, weighing yourself, pick up the box and subtract the difference.
You will still have the 'overhang' but 4 foot higher :)

Anyway, ask yourself "If I had a 10 foot long steel bar that weighs 3 stone would it weigh less on the scales because at least 90% of it hangs over the sides"?

Last edited:
Soldato
I love the suggestion of standing on the scales, weighing yourself, pick up the box and subtract the difference.
You will still have the 'overhang' but 4 foot higher :)

Anyway, ask yourself "If I had a 10 foot long steel bar that weighs 3 stone would it weigh less on the scales because at least 90% of it hangs over the sides"?

Of course :confused:

This is why proper lifting technique is to pick up long heavy objects with 1 hand in the middle, rather than 1 hand at each end, so that they weigh less...

Soldato
Of course :confused:

This is why proper lifting technique is to pick up long heavy objects with 1 hand in the middle, rather than 1 hand at each end, so that they weigh less...

Agreed. Also why it's recommended to have someone help you with heavier lifts. One person right at each end means maximum overhang for each person and easiest lift.

Back
Top Bottom