• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I just noticed it has an 8 pin and a 4 pin power CPU connector, the same as the Biostar Buildzoid looked at, that must mean the 9900K uses 400 Watts......

Yep, got me worried as well because my CH6 also has 8pin and 4pin connectors........................does that mean both the 1700 i had and the 2700x i have now are also pulling 400w out the wall. I can't imagine where all the heat from that 400w is going :confused: :D

Associate
I just noticed it has an 8 pin and a 4 pin power CPU connector, the same as the Biostar Buildzoid looked at, that must mean the 9900K uses 400 Watts......
Amusingly I can attest to the 1950X pulling 400W. But I'd be very surprised if the 3800X or 3850X do. 50% node shrink with many updates and about only a 800MHz increase in frequency doesn't equal 400W on the 16c. That it can possibly feed 600W doesn't mean it is going to be pulling it. I think Buildzoid was more than a little off the mark there.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Gigabyte BIOS updates are out for X470/B450 for full support of upcoming Zen 2: https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1689

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Co. Ltd, a leading manufacturer of motherboards and graphics cards, has released BIOS updates for X470 and B450 AMD motherboards. With a simple update of the BIOS, users will be able to fully harness full support for next gen. AMD Ryzen™ processors. BIOS updates for the X370 and B350 AMD motherboards will be released before the end of the month.

Soldato

that or video cards got it completely wrong and their tease was actually two z390 boards.. either way x570 will adopt the same visual looks

Amusingly I can attest to the 1950X pulling 400W. But I'd be very surprised if the 3800X or 3850X do. 50% node shrink with many updates and about only a 800MHz increase in frequency doesn't equal 400W on the 16c. That it can possibly feed 600W doesn't mean it is going to be pulling it. I think Buildzoid was more than a little off the mark there.

depends, vega 7 was node shrink and still eats juice and power . Classic case of once you go past their optimum defined stock/boost settings. Power eff and heat greatly increase .
though as most say, not going to be a 400w monster , unless under LN2 :D
Again for dual CPU sockets for chips with lower power, more about its delivery then the amount .

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
depends, vega 7 was node shrink and still eats juice and power . Classic case of once you go past their optimum defined stock/boost settings. Power eff and heat greatly increase .
Again for dual CPU sockets for chips with lower power, more about its delivery then the amount .
The Radeon VII is basically Vega without much if any changes on 7nm. It wasn't really designed for the node. I'm not really that surprised it's still bad on power...

I'm kinda screwed either way as I have a Vega64 that's happy to pull 400W and a 1950X that's also happy to pull 400W...

Soldato
I'm kinda screwed either way as I have a Vega64 that's happy to pull 400W and a 1950X that's also happy to pull 400W...
unlimited-power-mematic-net-19224598.png

Caporegime
Radeon VII is 30% faster with 15% less power vs Vega 64, that's about a 40/45% performance per watt difference.

Caporegime
Here is a full list of current and previous generation MSI motherboards that have already been qualified to work with Ryzen 3000:

• X470 Gaming M7 AC
  • X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • X470 Gaming Plus
  • X470 Gaming Pro
  • B450M Bazooka and B450 Bazooka V2
  • B450 M Pro-VDH and B450 M Pro VDH V2
  • B450M Pro-VDH Plus
  • B450I Gaming Plus AC
  • B450M Pro-M2 and B450M Pro-M2 V2
  • B450M Thunder
  • B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • B450 Gaming Plus
  • B450-A Pro
  • B450M Gaming Plus
  • B450M Mortar
  • B450M Titanium
  • B450M Bazooka Plus and B450M Booka Plus V2
  • B450M Tomhawk
  • X370 XPower Gaming Titanium
  • X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • X370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • X370 Gaming Plus
  • X370 Gaming Pro
  • X370 Krait Gaming
  • X370 SLI Plus
  • X370 Gaming M7 ACK
  • B350 Tomahawk
  • B350 PC Mate
  • B350 Tomahawk Arctic
  • B350 Gaming Plus
  • B350M Mortar
  • M350M Mortar Arctic
  • B350M Bazooka
  • B350M Pro-VDH
  • B350M Gaming Pro
  • B350I Pro AC
  • B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • B350M Pro-VH Plus
  • B350 Krait Gaming
  • B350 Tomahawk Plus
  • Be50M Pro-VD Plus

Soldato
He's not being terribly clear with that, if he's talking about LN2 he's being about as clear as mud, if you just take him for what he said he really isn't, i think we have to assume LN2 is what he's talking about.

His YouTube channel is called actually hardcore overclocking so I'm not sure what you're expecting, maybe a disclaimer at the start of each video. ;)

He's talks about actually hardcore overclocking and like everything IMO it's the responsibility of the reader, listener, viewer to be aware of what they're consuming, not the other way around.

And you see what's happening, people are just taking it as given without even thinking about how ridiculous that would be.

True but as event over the last few years have show us some people aren't great when it comes to critical thinking. ;)

Not always that simple, there's a great deal of things to accommodate for when talking about a power solution. If you watch his videos you'll find he changes his stance on a few things recently, too. When it comes to this stuff there is a lot of blind leading the blind.

True but the reason it's the blind leading the blind is because there was bugger all information out there on the technicality's of motherboards, the power solutions, the practicalities of design choices, and the actual substance of motherboards, I'm not saying he's an expert or anything, I'm just saying that there was a gap in the 'market' (market being people wanting to know more about the subject) and whether intentionally or not, for better or worse, he's filled that void.

I'd love for reviewers to go into greater technical details on the design of motherboards, how efficient X power deliver is, how dumb or not it is to cover VRM heatsinks in plastic shrouds, trace lengths, and things like that but they don't, at most we get these are the features written on the box, this is what the board looks like, this is what the BIOS screen looks like and some benchmarks. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
His YouTube channel is called actually hardcore overclocking so I'm not sure what you're expecting, maybe a disclaimer at the start of each video. ;)

He's talks about actually hardcore overclocking and like everything IMO it's the responsibility of the reader, listener, viewer to be aware of what they're consuming, not the other way around.

lol, what :D. So if someone is telling viewers that motherboard vendors should be using doublers, those who then go out looking for motherboards sporting a more "fitting" power solution whilst not understanding the implications of processing delay and sag should already know these things?

No, it's up to to the vlogger to use proper due diligence.

True but the reason it's the blind leading the blind is because there was bugger all information out there on the technicality's of motherboards, the power solutions, the practicalities of design choices, and the actual substance of motherboards, I'm not saying he's an expert or anything, I'm just saying that there was a gap in the 'market' (market being people wanting to know more about the subject) and whether intentionally or not, for better or worse, he's filled that void.

Not sure how that's an excuse for misinforming people. If you don't fully understand something or aren't qualified, don't preach.

Soldato
lol, what :D
My edit did add what i hope is better clarification, and yes it's the responsibility of the reader, listener, viewer to be aware of what they're consuming, not the other way around, or are you saying everyone is so dumb that their incapable of critical thinking?
Not sure how that's an excuse for misinforming people. If you don't fully understand something or aren't qualified, don't preach.
So ignorance is better?

Soldato
Amended my post. You cannot be serious, though. You're basically giving a greenlight for people to post misinformation and not worry about it. Which ironically is quite rife in the tech media.

Anyway, it's a non arguement. Vloggers should simply do fact checking. These things can be harmful.

Soldato
lol, what :D. So if someone is telling viewers that motherboard vendors should be using doublers, those who then go out looking for motherboards sporting a more "fitting" power solution whilst not understanding the implications of processing delay and sag should already know these things?

No, it's up to to the vlogger to use proper due diligence.

No and you know full well that wasn't what i said, i said it's the responsibility of the reader, listener, viewer to be aware of what they're consuming, not the other way around, not as you're implying that they should be knowledgeable on the subject matter, but that they should be aware of what they're consuming, in the same manner as people should be aware of the food they consume and the quality or lack thereof of it.

Amended my post. You cannot be serious, though. You're basically giving a greenlight for people to post misinformation and not worry about it. Which ironically is quite rife in the tech media.

Anyway, it's a non arguement. Vloggers should simply do fact checking. These things can be harmful.

And when there's no information out there who's fault is that, you're (third person you are) basically telling a parched man not to drink that water over there because it's polluted but not providing any that isn't.

It's not a non argument because you're expecting people to do fact checking when there's next to no available facts to check things against, show me where someone discusses the implications of using doublers on motherboards and the processing delay and sag in a manner that ordinary people can relate to, as i said you're basically saying ignorance is better because in you're opinion the little people just wouldn't understand, whether intentionaly or not you're being incredibly condescending.

Back
Top Bottom