Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Permabanned
I have 350MB and thinking of downgrading to 100MB it's just overkill. Unless you are doing something illegal I don't see the need for such a fad DL speed for home usage anyway.

That's very judgemental.

In my house my wife, my two kids and I are heavy bandwidth users. I and the two kids could easily be downloading huge 70gb+ games at the same time whilst my wife streams a film. She also games occasionally and downloads large files simultaneously.

Nothing illegal about any of it. On 200 down from VM and we like not having to wait on each other to finish hogging the fat pipe.

Caporegime
That's very judgemental.

In my house my wife, my two kids and I are heavy bandwidth users. I and the two kids could easily be downloading huge 70gb+ games at the same time whilst my wife streams a film. She also games occasionally and downloads large files simultaneously.

Nothing illegal about any of it. On 200 down from VM and we like not having to wait on each other to finish hogging the fat pipe.

Get off it.

How often are you downloading 70GB games? Once in a blue moon. Unless you are all using 120Gb hard drive and then only installing 1 game at a time and having to re-install every time you go to play.

Apex Legends is like 12.7 GB for example.

I have a Media PC, a gaming PC and 2 consoles, 3 smart tv's, 6 CCTV cameras, smart bulbs, smart plugs a smart grow system for plants and herbs, and a host of stuff connected like smart smoke alarms and carbon monixide detectors, hell even my washing machine is connected to wi-fi.

If you are downloading 70GB files simultaneously often I would be questioning what is going on tbh never mind simultaneously that is just ridiculous.

Soldato
Don't know if anyone can throw any light on this. I've got a Superhub 3. Last night I was getting 5ghz connection on my phone, no problem with speed. But laptop wasn't connecting to wifi, and the laptop network card only does 2.4ghz. Turns out I couldn't get 2.4ghz on my phone anymore either.

I reset the SH3 and this morning it was still flashing green lights and arrows, no connection. So I reset it again today, this time holding the reset button for 60 seconds whch is apparently the way to do it. After an hour still no connection, still flashing green lights, alternating between the arrows and the horizontal light at the bottom. I called VM tech support and he said unplug it and switch it off, then plug back in and switch on. And they're sending an engineer tomorrow morning.

A few minutes after the call, the lights stopped flashing and I got connected. Then I went into the router settings page to give the 2.4 and 5ghz separate SSID names and passwords like I'd created before the reset. After that, I wasn't able to connect again. Did another reset, still not connecting. Connected my old SH2, still not connecting. So it doesn't appear to be a broken router issue. I've just connected the SH3 again and waiting to see if it'll connect.

It's very odd. Physical connection of the cable is solid, tightened with my pliers. I haven't look inside the box outside but since the cover hasn't come off, I'm assuming the wires are intact, especially since I already had a connection before I messed it up. Anyone got any ideas?

Permabanned
Get off it.

How often are you downloading 70GB games? Once in a blue moon. Unless you are all using 120Gb hard drive and then only installing 1 game at a time and having to re-install every time you go to play.

Apex Legends is like 12.7 GB for example.

I have a Media PC, a gaming PC and 2 consoles, 3 smart tv's, 6 CCTV cameras, smart bulbs, smart plugs a smart grow system for plants and herbs, and a host of stuff connected like smart smoke alarms and carbon monixide detectors, hell even my washing machine is connected to wi-fi.

If you are downloading 70GB files simultaneously often I would be questioning what is going on tbh never mind simultaneously that is just ridiculous.
Nothing to get off.
I never said it was often or how frequent it happens but the point is it DOES happen.
What's ridiculous about it? Even if it's not 70gb files it can be large enough that we don't want to have synchronise watches just to have the bandwidth at the right time. We don't want to wait. We want our share ASAP.
And you're internet of thing devices are poor example of bandwidth use. By your reasoning your grow system must be getting used to grow illicit plants and herbs...just the same as your reasoning tells you people with large bandwidth internet are only downloading copyrighted material/intellectual property.
I'm surprised you've moved beyond an ISA modem.

Soldato
Ah well, finally connected and all is well. Don't think I'll bother to change router bandwidth settings again in case it messes up. I guess I'd better cancel the engineer, although I'd love to know why it takes well over an hour to connect. Or maybe I should let him come and take a look anyway?

edit: connection went down for 20 minutes, yet no flashing lights. Back again. Definitely not going to cancel the engineer now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does it show full duplex?

On board will be capable, it's likely an OS thing. I regularly transfer files at 1 Gbit/s around the house.

Showing auto-negotiated at full duplex. Definitely thinking it is Win10 doing something dodgy. Tried Windows 7 on my MBP and it easily achieved 550 Mbps on fast.com. Out of desperation ran Spybot to look for malware, nothing found, nothing changed on the speed front. I have a 3rd party NIC lying around somewhere...will dig it out and give it a go!

Soldato
I've probably asked this in this thread before, but it is getting a bit ridiculous now. Does anyone know when Virgin Media will support IPv6? I can kind of understand where they are coming from on the consumer broadband but not supporting IPv6 on a business plan is laughable.

Soldato
Nothing to get off.
I never said it was often or how frequent it happens but the point is it DOES happen.
What's ridiculous about it? Even if it's not 70gb files it can be large enough that we don't want to have synchronise watches just to have the bandwidth at the right time. We don't want to wait. We want our share ASAP.
And you're internet of thing devices are poor example of bandwidth use. By your reasoning your grow system must be getting used to grow illicit plants and herbs...just the same as your reasoning tells you people with large bandwidth internet are only downloading copyrighted material/intellectual property.
I'm surprised you've moved beyond an ISA modem.
Psycho Sonny can't comprehend people doing things differently than him.

Soldato
Ah well, finally connected and all is well. Don't think I'll bother to change router bandwidth settings again in case it messes up. I guess I'd better cancel the engineer, although I'd love to know why it takes well over an hour to connect. Or maybe I should let him come and take a look anyway?

edit: connection went down for 20 minutes, yet no flashing lights. Back again. Definitely not going to cancel the engineer now.

From what I remember the engineer telling me last time I used the SH3 as a router (its garbage so this was 6-8 months ago) is that splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz in to separate channels (something pretty much any other consumer router can do) causes it to crash. So I wouldn't be surprised you are having such issues. My suggestion if the engineer visit doesn't solve your issues is to just stick it into modem mode and just get a different router for the WiFi. Ideally something that supports Merlin. I can recommend the Asus RT-AC86U for range and stability but it isn't cheap.

Also worth pointing out that as soon as you activated your SH3 the SH2 is dead weight. They won't reactivate hardware to my knowledge to stop people keeping older hardware and piggy backing off their network etc. I'd just give it to the engineer for disposal.

On an unrelated note any one else having issues in the BS37 area? Its been up and down for days now and the service status just gets updated with the fix the next day at 18:00!?

Permabanned
I reactivated my SH2 after the debacle I had with the SH3.
I had to threaten just to leave of course and I had to jump through hoops.
I had several VM people tell me it was impossible and I had to drop back to 200 speed on the SH3. I had one guy "attempt" to reactivate the SH2 remotely, giving me the big story it's not going to work but as a favour blah blah. Two attempts and naturally it didn't work, I don't believe he was even doing anything, just rebooting it. So through to cancellations it was. Within an hour someone from network in India had called, told me that the guy was basically taking crap and reactivated my SH2 within ten minutes.

Soldato
Showing auto-negotiated at full duplex. Definitely thinking it is Win10 doing something dodgy. Tried Windows 7 on my MBP and it easily achieved 550 Mbps on fast.com. Out of desperation ran Spybot to look for malware, nothing found, nothing changed on the speed front. I have a 3rd party NIC lying around somewhere...will dig it out and give it a go!

Just purchased an Intel NIC - PCIe for £19, lets see if it makes any difference!

Soldato
Thanks for the info and advice guys. Well, I did actually cancel at the last minute as everything is ok. It seems they're able to send engineers next day so if I have any more problems it'll get sorted quickly.

Yeah Speed, I'll leave it in auto mode as they had intended for the SH3, clearly it was crashing because I'd split the channels.

Soldato
well a motherboard will never be made of high quality parts. the onboard sound for example is terrible on all motherboards. they are built to a price point and it's likely electrical interference from other parts of the motherboard could be doing something or maybe not. it's best to have a dedicated separate part if you want the best. for all of £15 it's not worth worrying about.

what router are you using?

Well that worked well :D:D:D

So the NIC is going back!

I’ve just sorted it...turns out it is a Win10 problem! Installed a fresh copy of Win10 pro on a SSD on the same system...Speedtest at 560 Mbps on the same Killer E2400 and setup! Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've probably asked this in this thread before, but it is getting a bit ridiculous now. Does anyone know when Virgin Media will support IPv6? I can kind of understand where they are coming from on the consumer broadband but not supporting IPv6 on a business plan is laughable.

They are moving to DS Lite because Liberty are weird, so they're slapping carrier-grade NAT on IPv4 at the same time as they give you IPv6. Expect their CPE hardware to handle it incredibly poorly and it to take several years to resolve (see: static IP performance on business cable services).

Soldato
Good to see you are sorted. I was going to post - there is no way your onboard LAN was the problem. It does make you wonder what the issue on your old install was.

Yeah Forza 7 has never downloaded so fast..all 100Gb of it! I wouldn't be surprised if was a 3rd party app that had corrupted something somewhere. Interestingly just resetting the network settings (removing all network drivers and reinstalling) didn't change anything, which suggests it was something deeper in the core of Win10 that had been affected.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Here we are...basically ended up just 'resetting the PC' - reinstalling windows 10 whilst keeping my files.

Good to see this fixed. I wonder if the same software issue might have been causing your lower than expected VPN speeds, too (in the other thread). Be interesting to see if you get achieve more than a couple of Mbps now.

Back
Top Bottom