Dual exhaust not connected to back box

Soldato
IMG-20190517-134501.jpg

Can you see how the exhaust isn't connected to the tips?

Is this correct? Car is 2016 Golf R.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
New (diesel) S4 only has an exhaust on the left with cosmetic tips on both sides. WTF??

Why can’t they just run a dual backbox like on the older models for the S and RS at least? Mega disappoint :(

Soldato
It's absolutely nuts that this is deemed acceptable in the design of cars. So fake and how much does it really cost to have dual exhausts? I think one of the reasons is that they can charge crazy money for people to upgrade the exhaust system as an extra.

Soldato
It's normal for so called "premium" cars to bodge stuff now apparently...

When sitting behind them with headlights on it's very obvious. Also they end up with one dirty exit and the others still clean which is another dead giveaway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What's even worse is that once it's 6 months old one of the pipes is super shiny and the other is filthy making it even more painfully obvious.

Caporegime
What's even worse is that once it's 6 months old one of the pipes is super shiny and the other is filthy making it even more painfully obvious.
This is the exact reason that I tweaked the settings in VCDS (on the S3, the TT needs physical blanking off of the vacuum line) so that all 4 exhausts are open on the S3 and both are open on the TT all the time. Can’t stand only half of the exhausts getting dirty.

Soldato
It's normal for so called "premium" cars to bodge stuff now apparently...

When sitting behind them with headlights on it's very obvious. Also they end up with one dirty exit and the others still clean which is another dead giveaway.
In the case of the Golf R though, one of the pair is clean because that exit is valved, not because it's completely fake with nothing behind it

Soldato
In the case of the Golf R though, one of the pair is clean because that exit is valved, not because it's completely fake with nothing behind it

The photo is a golf R though. You can see it's fake and not even connected.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't understand, why didn't they just connect the exhaust pipe to the exhaust tips?? I know there is quad exhaust tips on the Golf R - are there quad pipes coming from the backbox?

Soldato
The photo is a golf R though. You can see it's fake and not even connected.
You're talking about two different issues now.

The tips being disconnected has nothing to do with why one is dirty and one is clean.

The Golf R has 4 exits and 4 tips. The tips are detached, as are many cars these days. 2 of the exits are valved and so only flow exhaust gas when opened in sport mode, hence only 2 getting dirty normally.

Soldato
Same as my AM Vantage. I don’t mind it as it means you can change the backbox without changing the look of the car. It’s not like it’s a fake exhaust.

On the e46 M3, the tips were separate chrome plated parts which were riveted to the back box, so I don’t really see the difference.

Back
Top Bottom