• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
lol, what's funny about this post is on the firmware build I have on my revision, it actually doesn't but that's a byproduct of something else. In terms of actual gains I doubt many will be disappointed. I'm impressed the boards haven't leaked yet TBH

Good I've got some 4000 MHz RAM standing by!

Soldato
Mor boards. MSI this time.

MSI-X570-Gaming-Pro-Carbon-WiFi-Motherboard.jpg
Great, more VRM cooling sabotaging marketroid excrements...
And weren't M.2s advertised for easy installing, because of no cabling hassle?:p

Soldato
Any idea which MB's to look for?
So many new MB's of poor quality, so any heads up would be nice.

I'm probably going MSI again. Never had an issue with one. Decent features and components, no ASUS tax, BIOS is not as well featured as ASUS but I don't spend much time in it once everything is working.

Permabanned
I prefer Gigabyte. Used to be Asus till I had a bad board (my 2nd from them) and a poor customer support experience back in 2008/9, and their overpricing since has kept me from returning. My three Gigabyte boards have been rock solid and got good reviews. Never tried MSI but I may one of these days. I'd be hesitant to try any others from what I've heard.

Soldato
Asrock board up the page a bit doesn't seem to have one.

Or it's hidden under a shroud. That board does seem to be half armoured. I don't like small fans, they do tend to be very noisy, so unless it's heat controlled with a zero-rpm setting, these boards are going to be loud. It's not 1995 any more. If the fan is only needed for extreme NVME setups, there's no reason for the fan to be running at all in most setups, so they should be able to be turned off.

Soldato
Or it's hidden under a shroud. That board does seem to be half armoured. I don't like small fans, they do tend to be very noisy, so unless it's heat controlled with a zero-rpm setting, these boards are going to be loud. It's not 1995 any more. If the fan is only needed for extreme NVME setups, there's no reason for the fan to be running at all in most setups, so they should be able to be turned off.

Yes I'm expecting it will just be nvme raid under high load where a fan will be needed. Although why isn't this a thing on Threadripper?

Soldato
Any idea which MB's to look for?
So many new MB's of poor quality, so any heads up would be nice.

Why not wait for reviews from people who have actually tried them? Speculating on products that don't exist yet is no basis for an eventual purchase.

I'll primarily be looking at asrock because their previous boards were good but I'll read a review first. Even if it's just a recommendation from a trusted forum member who's bought one.

The most anybody has so far are leaks/rumours that a particular board will be good which doesn't mean much.

Soldato
Yes I'm expecting it will just be nvme raid under high load where a fan will be needed. Although why isn't this a thing on Threadripper?

On X399 the M.2 slots are usually wired to the CPU directly rather then going to the X399 chipset. Said X399 chipset is fairly limited in that it has 4 x Gen 3.0 lanes with rest 2.0 lanes / IO support. Sounds like the new chipset will have more then 4 generation 3.0 lanes given all the comments around RAID being thrown around or Generation 4.0 from the chipset if this Biostar PDF is to be believed: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-x570-chipset-biostar-racing-x570gt8,news-60632.html The Higher throughput you could possibly achieve on x570 compared with X399 and previous AM4 chipsets is likely the reason.

Soldato
On X399 the M.2 slots are usually wired to the CPU directly rather then going to the X399 chipset. Said X399 chipset is fairly limited in that it has 4 x Gen 3.0 lanes with rest 2.0 lanes / IO support. Sounds like the new chipset will have more then 4 generation 3.0 lanes given all the comments around RAID being thrown around or Generation 4.0 from the chipset if this Biostar PDF is to be believed: https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-x570-chipset-biostar-racing-x570gt8,news-60632.html The Higher throughput you could possibly achieve on x570 compared with X399 and previous AM4 chipsets is likely the reason.

Good point. I forgot Threadripper they are direct to the CPU.

Associate
Why not wait for reviews from people who have actually tried them? Speculating on products that don't exist yet is no basis for an eventual purchase.

I'll primarily be looking at asrock because their previous boards were good but I'll read a review first. Even if it's just a recommendation from a trusted forum member who's bought one.

The most anybody has so far are leaks/rumours that a particular board will be good which doesn't mean much.

I have come to trust much of the info I get from this forum and having a direction(s) to look in to helps a lot when I start looking in earnest; I have a couple of pc's that I am thinking of updrading, so am looking at the Ryzen 2600x as well.

Ty

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Well hope you are not hyped for intela 10nm thats like 4 years late by now.

Dont even care about what intel are doing these days because they have fallen far.. Just really intrigued to see how the 3000 series will be doing because of all the hype around it

Associate

Let's hope so. I guess with the backward compatibility thing, you could always just buy a last gen board if necessary.

Anyone know if you can generally boot to the bios & do the relevant update without a CPU (or with an 'incompatible' one)?

Soldato
Let's hope so. I guess with the backward compatibility thing, you could always just buy a last gen board if necessary.

Anyone know if you can generally boot to the bios & do the relevant update without a CPU (or with an 'incompatible' one)?

Usually you'll need a supported CPU in the socket. I believe some high end boards (Crosshair iirc) can do CPUless bios flash.

Short term processor loan boot kit

Back
Top Bottom