Possible upgrade before new build

Associate
Hi all, been lurking here for the last few weeks trying to figure out what i should do and finally thought i should just make an account and ask.

Was about to do a full new system build but after visiting these forums all the talk of Zen2 has made me pause to wait and see what happens when it comes out. However the upgrade itch is strong so i'm seriously tempted to get a new gpu and screen now and do the rest of the build once Zen2 arrives and it all shakes out.

Current system:
i7 4790k @4.6ghz
16Gb ram,
Gtx 970
2x 250Gb ssds (all media storage on a nas)
corsair RM750
32 inch 1440p 60hz monitor

I'm really tempted to get this to satisfy the itch till ryzen 3 arrives and i can decide on a full new rebuild.
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,861.24 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

My questions:
1: will a 4790k handle a 2080 at that Resolution.
2: will a 2080 handle that screen resolution at respectable fps.
3: is that a decent 2080 to choose.
4: is my current psu adequate for a 2080.

Thank you for any input.

Soldato
Yep, very sensible to wait for Zen 2 to shake out its secrets - and there's no harm upgrading your GPU/Panel now in preparation.

1. Sure - the higher in resolution you go the more the system becomes GPU bound - which you have covered by the RTX 2080. Plus, it's already clocked - so no mandatory reminder.
  2. Yes - i personally wouldn't go lower.
  3. Gigabyte is a solid buy - UK RMA (handy with RTX premium cards) and a great forum rep on these boards.
  4. More than adequate.

Soldato
GPU and Monitor will be grade upgrade.
Specially at 1440p ultra wide !
Might even find out won't need to update CPU if running 4.5ghz overclock and playing games on DX12 if they'll allow

Don't forget to register 4th yr warranty !

Associate
OP
Thank you plec and orbitalwalsh.

Quartz, id read about to see and while not officially supported it seems to work, and it gets recommended over the gsync version by some people.

i'd prefer to go freesync if possible so i'm not locked to one manufacturers cards.

Associate
Yep, very sensible to wait for Zen 2 to shake out its secrets - and there's no harm upgrading your GPU/Panel now in preparation.

1. Sure - the higher in resolution you go the more the system becomes GPU bound - which you have covered by the RTX 2080. Plus, it's already clocked - so no mandatory reminder.
  2. Yes - i personally wouldn't go lower.
  3. Gigabyte is a solid buy - UK RMA (handy with RTX premium cards) and a great forum rep on these boards.
  4. More than adequate.

Pretty much my exact thoughts. Monitor and gpu is a good pair. CPU you don't really need touch as it will be GPU bound but if you have to then wait to see what zen 2 can do.

Back
Top Bottom