Dual exhaust not connected to back box

Soldato
You're talking about two different issues now.

The tips being disconnected has nothing to do with why one is dirty and one is clean.

The Golf R has 4 exits and 4 tips. The tips are detached, as are many cars these days. 2 of the exits are valved and so only flow exhaust gas when opened in sport mode, hence only 2 getting dirty normally.

But that's just more fakery. The one on the right is the functional one which goes directly to the back box. The one with the baffle is just linked to the side of that but has a longer path, so even when open most of the gasses would escape through the one on the right. All it will do is change the noise.

Soldato
But that's just more fakery. The one on the right is the functional one which goes directly to the back box. The one with the baffle has too much of a bend in it and a longer path, so even when open most of the gasses would escape through the one on the right. All it will do is change the noise.
It still has 4 exhaust exits though, it's not a completely dead, totally fake tip as you seemed to think it was to start with. If you keep stretching your definition we'll be calling anything that isn't a straight pipe from the exhaust manifold fake.

Soldato
It still has 4 exhaust exits though, it's not a completely dead, totally fake tip as you seemed to think it was to start with. If you keep stretching your definition we'll be calling anything that isn't a straight pipe from the exhaust manifold fake.

No it's 2 exits as 2 aren't even connected to the back box. It's 2 that split in to 4 with a baffle on the extra 2 outlets. The additional 2 do literally nothing except make it louder.

Soldato
No it's 2 exits as 2 aren't even connected to the back box. It's 2 that split in to 4 with a baffle on the extra 2 outlets. The additional 2 do literally nothing except make it louder.
On the estate this might be true, on the hatch it's definitely 4 genuine exits.

Soldato
I don't understand, why didn't they just connect the exhaust pipe to the exhaust tips?

It's a very common thing to do these days and there are a lot of reasons for it. It's partly to do with avoiding transmitting noise and vibration into the body (and a way of avoiding heat and dirt-related issues, in some cases) but, more critically, it's to do with insurance claims.

Exhaust systems are complex and costly affairs these days (catalytic converters, valving, DPFs, GPFs, etc.) so OEMs set them up like this; if you have a small rear-end shunt, it doesn't write off what is a very expensive exhaust system.

Plus, as is predominantly the case these days, people just want the look. They don't care about anything else.

Soldato
Isn't it odd how much effort we expend making what is essentially a waste pipe look good...and how much debate it generates. It would be just as easy to hide exhaust pipes completely out of sight behind the bumper, yet manufacturers will actually go to the effort of making fake exits, just because we all think that an exhaust pipe should be on show.

What an odd species we are :p

Associate
It’s not the speakers, it’s a vibration module at the base of the windscreen. Still cack, but not quite as cack as pumping pre-recorded noises through the speakers. Not sure about the Golf, but in the S3 you can turn it off.

The MK7.5 can be turned off and some of the last Mk7's but the early Golfs it needs either to be unplugged or OBD11/VCDS to silence the terrible thing. That was the thing I did the first week I got mine as prefer the real exhaust sound than fake vibrations..

Soldato
I noticed this in winter when dual exhaust BM 1 series cars only had exhaust coming out of 1 side. Looks like a poorly made knock-off.

Soldato
When you see stuff like this though, it just makes you cringe. All Mercs are like this now:
abe743bc-fake-exhausts-mercgle-02.jpg

Surely it can't cost much more to fit it properly. Some manufacturers even have the cheek to list a "chrome exhaust" in their features. False advertising or what...

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Yes you can turn off the sound in individual settings on Mk7 estate.

Yup on my mk7 hatch in individual you could set the particular setting to ‘eco’ and it switched it off. I forget what the setting was called now!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
When you see stuff like this though, it just makes you cringe. All Mercs are like this now:
abe743bc-fake-exhausts-mercgle-02.jpg

Surely it can't cost much more to fit it properly. Some manufacturers even have the cheek to list a "chrome exhaust" in their features. False advertising or what...
To be fair, you could get that as an option on the 3.0d E53 X5 almost 20 years ago :p

Back
Top Bottom