Replacement battery for UPS

Soldato
Hey guys,

My UPS battery has decided to no longer supply power and began to bulge. I've tried searching for the same one online but I'm getting confused with all the battery codes

The battery I currently have is a Kung Long WP7.2-12 12V 7Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery.

When I search, loads of results for the battery but as an unavailable product & I'm being steered to a
Yuasa - NP7-12 AGM S65-12V 7.0Ah - Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery.

Is NP the same type as WP? I don't want to order one and have my UPS explode when it tries to charge the new battery.

The UPS is quite old as it stands but it's never let me down, until now of course, and I would prefer to replace the battery as it's cheaper than buying a whole new UPS.

Any advice would be great

Soldato
12V ~7Ah sealed lead acid battery is the way most common in UPSes.
Depending on how it's calculated Ah rating can vary little.
Also height spec can vary little depending how contacts are pointed, but length and width are always same.
Quick googling would have shows those are same sized.

What's the UPS model?
If old battery is bulging there's possibility it's caused partially by external cause besides battery's aging.

Soldato
OP
12V ~7Ah sealed lead acid battery is the way most common in UPSes.
Depending on how it's calculated Ah rating can vary little.
Also height spec can vary little depending how contacts are pointed, but length and width are always same.
Quick googling would have shows those are same sized.

What's the UPS model?
If old battery is bulging there's possibility it's caused partially by external cause besides battery's aging.

It's a Belkin F6H500ukUNV. It's quite old now. Iirc I got it in 2009.

Soldato
Couple search results show it apparently having some slots for airflow, unlike similar style APC Back-UPS ES.
Though not sure if those are actually effective in providing actual cooling

At least those APCs run easily hot, because of insulating all the heat inside.
Neighbour had one starting to go haywire after cooking up its garbage capacitors...
With apparently even battery charger starting to run too much, because of running very hot and signs of heat on PCB at battery charger circuitry components.

That overcharging would be one of the causes for bulging of sealed lead acid batteries.
High temperature would help in that, because bulging is caused by internal overheating of battery.
https://powercontinuity.co.uk/knowledge-base/ups-batteries-swell-why/

Back
Top Bottom