• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
All the leaked boards I've seen so far have active cooling. Really hope this isn't universal as small fans are always noisy.

Apparently the chipset only gets hot when you have multiple nvme drives transferring data at the same time using pcie4

If you’re not going to do that, chances are you can just pull the fan off

Like most gamers, I’ll have a single nvme drive and a single gpu, in this configuration the chipset likely does not need the fan

Soldato
Why not wait for reviews from people who have actually tried them? Speculating on products that don't exist yet is no basis for an eventual purchase.

I'll primarily be looking at asrock because their previous boards were good but I'll read a review first. Even if it's just a recommendation from a trusted forum member who's bought one.

The most anybody has so far are leaks/rumours that a particular board will be good which doesn't mean much.
By all accounts the only way you are guaranteed a Zen2 chip (at least the popular ones) at realease and at MSRP is to pre-order, so for those of us in that position who don't already own an AM4 board the reality is we will need to be pre-ordering the chip with a X570 board.

My opinion is that you can only form an opinion based on the current generation of X470 boards in the hope that the manufacturers will continue in the same vein with their X570 offerings. It does make it difficult that the X570 chipset is totally new and apparently requires active cooling under certain scenarios.

Permabanned
By all accounts the only way you are guaranteed a Zen2 chip (at least the popular ones) at realease and at MSRP is to pre-order, so for those of us in that position who don't already own an AM4 board the reality is we will need to be pre-ordering the chip with a X570 board.

My opinion is that you can only form an opinion based on the current generation of X470 boards in the hope that the manufacturers will continue in the same vein with their X570 offerings. It does make it difficult that the X570 chipset is totally new and apparently requires active cooling under certain scenarios.

Pre-order and MSRP? I think not compatible.

Soldato
Pre-order and MSRP? I think not compatible.
I understand that retailers are given an initial allocation of units that they are expected to sell at MRSP once these have sold then the retailers are free to sell at market prices (high demand + low stock = higher than MSRP prices). Happy to be corrected.

Associate

You can always buy the CPU then leave the chip in its box until the motherboard reviews come in..

Associate
I'm not sure any motherboard manufacturers have that good customer service, from what I've seen. Then again, I've had Asus, MSI and asrock motherboards and none have had any problems from a hardware standpoint.

Asrock unfortunately left me a little salty with the first gen Ryzen release. I may try Asus for my next board. We will see what the reviews say.

Soldato
I'm not sure any motherboard manufacturers have that good customer service, from what I've seen. Then again, I've had Asus, MSI and asrock motherboards and none have had any problems from a hardware standpoint.

Asrock unfortunately left me a little salty with the first gen Ryzen release. I may try Asus for my next board. We will see what the reviews say.

Well, Gigabyte have a representative on OCUK who's been really helpful to forum members in the past, enough to sway me to purchasing Gigabyte product in the future.

Can't say that of any other mobo/GPU manufacturer here, as far as I'm aware.

Soldato
Apparently the chipset only gets hot when you have multiple nvme drives transferring data at the same time using pcie4

If you’re not going to do that, chances are you can just pull the fan off

Like most gamers, I’ll have a single nvme drive and a single gpu, in this configuration the chipset likely does not need the fan
I'd imagine that it's got to be pwm controlled, otherwise it would just be stupid.

Associate
That's definitely a selling point. I think if you go for a higher end board they're all good. It's lower down the stack where it gets a bit trickier.
LOL to me that says, get a Gigabyte and you'll need to use their RMA service...

Honestly I'd avoid Gigabyte these days. Their BIOS is always crap and finicky with memory. Had a good run with ASUS, AsRock and the higher end MSI boards lately.

Soldato
LOL to me that says, get a Gigabyte and you'll need to use their RMA service...

Honestly I'd avoid Gigabyte these days. Their BIOS is always crap and finicky with memory. Had a good run with ASUS, AsRock and the higher end MSI boards lately.

Their BIOS aside, good customer care is always a good thing. The other vendors should do the same. I'll personally be going MSI unless there is a compelling reason to try Asrock or ASUS.

Permabanned
Their BIOS aside, good customer care is always a good thing. The other vendors should do the same. I'll personally be going MSI unless there is a compelling reason to try Asrock or ASUS.

A compelling reason is that ASrock and Asus provide the best memory support, so far.

Associate
Yeah there's been a few of those. ASUS aren't renowned for the best support, but you can push the issue and generally they'll work out it's bad for business to keep blaming the customer. Personally I've not had an issue from Australia with ASUS RMA, though I have heard of those who have. Personally had far worse experiences with Corsair.

Soldato
Asus tend to decline mobo rma if there is any damage at all on the mobo including minor scratches on the plastic shroud etc they look for any excuse. So if you own asus be very careful not to scratch or crack or damage any part of the mobo even rgb or plastic bits that don’t affect performance

Soldato
Caporegime
I remember the release of the Asus crosshair VI, when the first updates were available some boards would brick themselves, and they didn't use a dual bios like gigabyte.
With the Asus tax and me taking the mickey out of the price, I offended some users who bricked their boards, but It was funny.

The Asus Crosshair IV was pretty much the best AM3 board though.

Back
Top Bottom