• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 3770K - Still worth it in terms of gaming?

Soldato
Long story short, im still running my 3570K and tbh not looking to fork out 5-£600 on upgrading to DDR4 setup. Is the 3770k still a very capable cpu for todays gaming?

Or should i just bite the bullet and upgrade to a skylake or coffeelake system?

Cheers

Associate
I'd hold on for now. There are very few games even now that benefit from more than your 4 cores and 8 threads, and even in those games you'd need the highest end GPU to really see a difference.

Its also worth noting that there are new rumored CPUs coming from AMD at the end of the month that fingers crossed will give the CPU market a bit of a shake up. If they're as good as some rumors suggest they could be as fast as intel core for core, while also having more cores and cheaper prices.

Soldato
I'd hold on for now. There are very few games even now that benefit from more than your 4 cores and 8 threads, and even in those games you'd need the highest end GPU to really see a difference.
A 3570k has 4 cores and 4 threads. I'm still using mine now and will be upgrading soon - the lack of threads is the main issue.

OP - I would personally upgrade when Zen2 is released (that's what I'm planning to do). A DDR4 upgrade will cost around £400 (CPU/Mobo/RAM) for a good 6core/12thread system, or maybe a 8core/16thread system if there's a decent sale on.
I believe a secondhand 3770k goes for just over £100, but you may find yourself needing to upgrade again in a couple of years time. It depends on the type of games you want to play.:)

Soldato
It's not worth it at this point imo. Sure, it's still capable now but for how much longer? You'd be much better off putting the £100 towards some new kit which will last you a good while longer.

Soldato
OP
Okay from what you guys have said, i’ll hold out till next gen comes along. Really want something that’ll last as long as my 3570k did. Its been over 8 years since i upgraded my cpu and i think ive got the most i can out of it.

Soldato
Okay from what you guys have said, i’ll hold out till next gen comes along. Really want something that’ll last as long as my 3570k did. Its been over 8 years since i upgraded my cpu and i think ive got the most i can out of it.
Same here, the rumoured 3600X is what I'm after (depending on price). 8 cores and 16 threads, will last a while.

Associate
If you can find one for cheap, upgrade to the i7 3770k. 4C8T for modern games with exhibit more frequent 1% frame drops but the overall average fps should be ok. I do recommend an entire new platform if you can afford it (especially with Zen 2 round the corner).

Soldato
OP
Ended up getting a 3770k for £100, gotta say its well worth the money, a decent step up from my 3570k. Overclocked this relic to around 4.5ghz on water (My maximus 5 gene can't seem to get it stable at 4.6ghz). Slightly lower clocked than my 3570k but as someone has said, the 8T makes a difference!

Associate
Ended up getting a 3770k for £100, gotta say its well worth the money, a decent step up from my 3570k. Overclocked this relic to around 4.5ghz on water (My maximus 5 gene can't seem to get it stable at 4.6ghz). Slightly lower clocked than my 3570k but as someone has said, the 8T makes a difference!

Did you sell your i5.? If so for how much if you don't mind me asking...?

Back
Top Bottom