The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
The ones that stick to Vanilla but simply improve visuals are:

HDReworked Project - This one is a MUST, they're basically higher res textures. So long as you have vram, they cost nothing in terms of performance.

Tweaks - This one doesn't change anything in the game, it simply gives you more options in the in-game menu to change things rather than having to edit the ini config.

All Quest Objectives on Map - This one changes map so that it has more info on it in terms of icons. It is a BIG quality of life improvement.

HD Monsters Reworked - In the same spirit as HDRP above it, this is a graphical update to monsters without actually changing how they look generally from vanilla. More of getting them to a higher-res level than anything else.

Beautiful Grass - This just changes grass, but only for vanilla not expacs.

Blood - Improves blood, it sprays more and in a more dramatic fashion.

No Dirty Lens - Basically what is says, you don't get dirty screen effect anymore.

Improved Signs - Ups the GFX of signs, particularly particle count.

Increased Draw Distance - As the name says. For me it's a must have because I'm very particular about this setting & can never get enough. Also only for Vanilla, though there's a Toussaint version supposedly.

Auto-Apply Oils - It does a scan around you for enemies and based on their type it automatically applies the relevant oil to your weapon. It's both greatly convenient & somewhat iffy because it feels like too much convenience almost. Sadly, I think ultimately this is down to a game design problem where oils sounded good in theory & were appropriate to the lore but just didn't make sense as a game system as it is. Since they're not going to rework it, I say just use the mod.

Damn good stuff! Thanks for this mate. I will have a closer look at these once I have the game re-installed. GTX 1080 @1440P should be ok VRAM wise?

Soldato
Damn good stuff! Thanks for this mate. I will have a closer look at these once I have the game re-installed. GTX 1080 @1440P should be ok VRAM wise?

You're welcome, yeah, GTX 1080 is gonna smash it. I run a V64 and can easily play at 4K tweaked. If you want fps, here's the settings I ran last night when I felt the need to up FPS:

zPxAkEQ.png

If you want image quality, choose the 'Ultimate' preset and then change the following (to not destroy framerate entirely)
- Hairworks MSAA to 0 or 2
- Texture Memory Budget to 4084
- Texture Mip bias: here it will depend on how much shimmering you can tolerate, -0.5 is a fine 'in-between' setting
- Foliage Distance to 3
- Grass Density to 2400
- Grass Distance scale 2.5
- Grass Ring Size '335...'
- Grass Generation Efficiency 0.030

The post-processing stuff is a matter of taste mostly, but I would recommend Bloom & HBAO+ for image quality across the board.

Associate
You're welcome, yeah, GTX 1080 is gonna smash it. I run a V64 and can easily play at 4K tweaked. If you want fps, here's the settings I ran last night when I felt the need to up FPS:

zPxAkEQ.png

If you want image quality, choose the 'Ultimate' preset and then change the following (to not destroy framerate entirely)
- Hairworks MSAA to 0 or 2
- Texture Memory Budget to 4084
- Texture Mip bias: here it will depend on how much shimmering you can tolerate, -0.5 is a fine 'in-between' setting
- Foliage Distance to 3
- Grass Density to 2400
- Grass Distance scale 2.5
- Grass Ring Size '335...'
- Grass Generation Efficiency 0.030

The post-processing stuff is a matter of taste mostly, but I would recommend Bloom & HBAO+ for image quality across the board.

Brilliant stuff :):)

Associate
No matter how much I tried, I could never really get into this game. What is it about the game that I'm missing? Should I try get deeper into it?

Soldato
I got to the part with the baron and digging up the dead baby.

While not far, is a point usually IMO you will know if its your type of game or not. Would play a little bit more to get to the bigger cities which is the next series of quests, but one of those things while the game is generally loved, know a few people who did not jive with the game.

Soldato
silly question, out of curiosity do the graphics mods affect trading card drops and achievements at all in the steam version?

interestingly i would put money on the fact that i own witcher - the 1st game - but it is not showing in my steam account :/

Soldato
silly question, out of curiosity do the graphics mods affect trading card drops and achievements at all in the steam version?

interestingly i would put money on the fact that i own witcher - the 1st game - but it is not showing in my steam account :/

Can't say, but they don't on GOG (for achievements), so I can't see it really be different for Steam, but you never know.

They give away Witcher 1 on GOG all the time, keep an eye out if you want it. In fact, they were giving it away just a few days ago.

Soldato
Can't say, but they don't on GOG (for achievements), so I can't see it really be different for Steam, but you never know.

They give away Witcher 1 on GOG all the time, keep an eye out if you want it. In fact, they were giving it away just a few days ago.
thanks for the info.. chances are that is where i have it...... this is the problem with so many stores, my games get lost!. not that it is a big deal i never got on with witcher 1,. gonna jump straight to 2 or 3 i think (already have '#2)

Soldato
So i ran out of coin so decided to give myself a small top up via console commands...

Bloody tax man pops up out of nowhere saying ive come into a lot of coin recently and he gave me a summons to pay up my back taxes :p. This happens naturally at a higher level once you reach a certain amount of gold. I just found it funny how he popped up straight after i used the command almost asif the game knew i was cheating :D

Soldato
That's not raytracing is it? It's a shader being switched on and off and the settings of it being played with.

I want to clarify a few questions from the community regarding the technical side of my shader:

What I'm doing is ray tracing in screen space, tracing rays against the depth buffer (a data buffer that contains the information how far an object is away, as opposed to the color buffer which tells you what color the object has and what you usually see in any game). When compared to DXR, it has several limitations: anything behind another object does not contribute, anything outside the screen does not contribute, backfaces do not contribute. The benefits of this shader is that it can run on every game and GPU and it’s a step up from regular SSAO. I hope this serves as a sneak peek at what DXR ray tracing can do and why everyone in vfx can’t wait to get real ray tracing for their games.

https://www.patreon.com/mcflypg

Back
Top Bottom