New build advice

Associate
Hi folks I would like to build a new desktop mainly for audio work and using DAWS something that will last me a few years hopefully and with room to upgrade along the line

Maybe the occasional game of Company of heroes /Football manager so a top end gfx card is not a priority

Also the parts will be getting picked up over the next month or two so any suggestions of waiting for something better is not a problem

Just a tower no monitor i7 8750 (or AMD equivalent) with lots of storage ( 64g and at least 10+ TB ) needed for VST's and a budget of 1k - 1.5k

It will be my first build and I am not that clued up on things so any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Soldato
Do you have anything ready or which could be reused?

And Zen2 Ryzens should bring major improvement to bang per buck of CPUs in month or so.
(+ also nicely improved power efficiency)

Soldato
@HarryBongo

audio work, intel still the best performer due to IPC/Clock speed . as above new ryzen hits in JULY ! hopefully its speed has increased along with performance and would give better bang for buck .

which software do you use for audio work? some are able to use multicores/threads better then others such as using multiple samples in a track ( some will give a thread to each sample some dont)

Football manager is about core speed and SSD! specially if running full leagues !

would your system be plugged into speaker/amp system or headphones ?

Associate
OP
@EsaT Nothing to be reused building from scratch

@orbitalwalsh I am using FL Studio full version just finding my way around it at the minute

according to their website 'FL Studio can use as many cores as your CPU has. There are caveats, the number of cores used depends on the number of parrallel audio processing 'tasks' FL Studio can do in your project. You have some influence over this'

and I would be running speakers through an audio interface/usb to the system

to be honest the gaming side I am not to bothered about FM is a bad time hogger so I an not too fussed over that

Soldato
Spending high end price for soon to be basic level CPU with more vulnerabilities than Swiss cheese has holes on dead end upgrade path platform isn't very sensible.
These are just the latest and at this rate who knows when HyperThreading gets disabled by patches to plug at least some holes.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/368372/new-intel-chip-flaws-can-leak-confidential-data-from-the-cpu
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/05/spoiler_intel_processor_flaw/
Intel simply has focused on milking buyers instead of fixing all the old design short cuts they've taken in CPU design.

And for that level graphics card 650W PSU is overkill.
550W would be well enough.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-05p-ss.html

Macho Rev.B is certainly very good cooler for low noise.
Though size is just quite huge so there could be some challenges during assembling PC.
(as in no working space left around CPU)

Associate
OP
Spending high end price for soon to be basic level CPU with more vulnerabilities than Swiss cheese has holes on dead end upgrade path platform isn't very sensible.
These are just the latest and at this rate who knows when HyperThreading gets disabled by patches to plug at least some holes.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/368372/new-intel-chip-flaws-can-leak-confidential-data-from-the-cpu
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/05/spoiler_intel_processor_flaw/
Intel simply has focused on milking buyers instead of fixing all the old design short cuts they've taken in CPU design.

And for that level graphics card 650W PSU is overkill.
550W would be well enough.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-05p-ss.html

Macho Rev.B is certainly very good cooler for low noise.
Though size is just quite huge so there could be some challenges during assembling PC.
(as in no working space left around CPU)

Thanks

Associate
OP
Ok waiting for the new Ryzen doesn't bother me so I was wondering about this
I have looked around and with the issues with Intel I wondered if this be a decent build
I have purchased the cooler, case and power supply
Now with that motherboard, it has been suggested that the CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit are there any other good boards that will not need the separate mount?

Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler
MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Kingston - HyperX Predator 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Corsair - MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
MSI - Radeon RX 570 4 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case
SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit

Associate
OP
I have a Macho Rev B on a b450 tomahawk board with 4 sticks of ram inserted the last stick is right up against the fan on the Rev B like touching it the stick has slotted in and clicked shut will it being touch tight cause problems in the future or is it safe to leave it?

Soldato
Intel is fine for performance.
Unless your in GCHQ or running Stock market with other people's money. Wouldn't worry to much about Intel's infiltration . Bit that hurts is OS trying to patch it up and intel micro codes hitting Hyperthreading (normally adds 15% performance increase )

2700 at £180-200 is a lovely price and should do well ! Added with windows patch . If system was down to a few threads , then intel hands down, even with security patches will still outperform in single /dual core tasks .

Associate
OP
Well too late now as I have built and got it up and running rather pleased with myself seeing as I don't have a clue about building computers but I managed it without any major problems

Ryzen 2700
B450 Tomahawk
Thermalright Macho Rev B
32G Team dark Pro
ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB m.2
Crucial MX500 1TB SSD
WD Blue 1TB HDD
Gigabyte RX570 4GB
Seasonic Focus 80+ Gold 550
Fractal Design Define S ATX
AOC VWFD8 31.5
Win 10 Pro

I just wanted to try to do everything right so didn't mind paying for retail OS which I got it £70 odd cheaper than from MS direct

Back
Top Bottom