How do they build skyscrapers?

Soldato
How do they keep getting the materials up higher and higher inlcuding the cranes, do you have a series of hoists and pulleys in the center section of the SS. Otherwise for a building like the WTC theres no way surely that a crane mounted on the top can haul steel griders/frames/concrete from that distance to the ground?

And as I said how do they keep getting the cranes higher and higher up, maybe they use choppers for that, I doubt that though, too windy.

Soldato
OP
The other question, if the crane is up say 350m can it's load line or whatever it's called reach the ground level, i.e to pick up the next load, that seems quite a distance especially if your lifting 100T+.

Don
The other question, if the crane is up say 350m can it's load line or whatever it's called reach the ground level, i.e to pick up the next load, that seems quite a distance especially if your lifting 100T+.
There'll be wind limits on the crane, but the limit to how high they can be built is it's own supporting structure.

Here's a good video of how they build themselves:-

8 minutes in shows how it does it.

Caporegime
They build them inside a massive hole in the ground, then use a helicopter to lift the building out ready to put into place. It's fascinating stuff.

Soldato
The thing that gets me is where the concrete is mixed at ground level and pumped up to the work area. The pressures are mind-numbing! (As opposed to being craned up in buckets. I believe Petronas Towers was built this way)

Back
Top Bottom