How do they build skyscrapers?

Soldato
OP
Some very mature responses here. It was a genuine question, so the cranes are kind of bootstrapped however could a crane 300-400m up high have a cable that pulls many tons of material up to the same height or is there some kind of intermediate platform.

Soldato
Associate
Got to say I never really though about cranes much other then having some family in industry, watching videos made me want to join myself even though I hate heights (well falling from heights)

Soldato
Saw a documentary on the shard. The link below may be it but I googled it without watching it

https://youtu.be/WXefCMtjoz4

They built the shard differently cos of site limitations so they couldn't dig the foundations first as folk normally do. They then started a continuous pour of the core as they raised it out the ground. Once they reached the top of the crane limit they then craned a smaller crane onto the lifts within the core and raised it up as the building continued up the final storeys. I'm sure the crane remains on top. But that's how they build them.

Caporegime
Is interesting stuff, but like others day, what do they do with the crane, or does it just go down in parts?

You break it down, large parts get helicopter off or service elevator for smaller parts.

Or they builds smaller crane to lower parts down then break down the smaller crane and elevator down.

What you should ask is how do Hong Kong build skyscrapers with bamboo sticks :p

Soldato
You break it down, large parts get helicopter off or service elevator for smaller parts.

Or they builds smaller crane to lower parts down then break down the smaller crane and elevator down.

What you should ask is how do Hong Kong build skyscrapers with bamboo sticks :p

Easy. They plant the bambo under a building and add more floors as it grows.

Soldato
But how do they get the crane up there, do they have to move the crane each level, and as I said the crane surely can't reach the ground after a certain height?

It's simple. They build the roof section and attach the cranes, then as they build each floor they use the cranes to lift the building and slide each new floor under the previous one.

Back
Top Bottom