Difficulty running network cable through existing channels. Help & suggestions needed

Caporegime
Hi all,

So in my apartment, each bedroom and the living room has a RJ11 telephone socket. What I want to do and tried to do yesterday is to replace the RJ11 cable with CAT6, and then replace the RJ11 sockets with RJ45. Now these connections on the walls use pre-existing channels in the wall, purposely built for cables to run through.

What we found though is, we were able to pull out the existing RJ11 cable ok, but when putting through the gadget for threading through new cables (I have NO idea what this is called, sorry, its like a hard plastic cable with metal on each end) it would get to a certain point and we just couldn't get it to budge any further. It was the same when pushing this through from either side.

So, being the stubborn sod that I am :p - I am looking for tips, tricks and hints to get this through. Do I need better/different tools? Are there different techniques to try?

The only thing I can think of is to lube up the wire as I push it in to help it go along the channel in the hopes it would help it get past the point where it gets stuck.

TIA :)
Jake

Soldato
You should have used the old cable to pull the new cable through. And the wires are called pull wires if they go all the way through.

Do the cables already have plugs on the ends on them? If so, remove the plugs and re-crimp them after pulling through.

Caporegime
OP
You should have used the old cable to pull the new cable through. And the wires are called pull wires if they go all the way through.

Do the cables already have plugs on the ends on them? If so, remove the plugs and re-crimp them after pulling through.
I did try that originally, but it became detached when it got stuck :(

So right now I have an empty unused channel in my apartment :p annoyingly!

Cables don't have ends on them nope. I bought 76m from a roll at a hardware store.

Soldato
Have you tried pushing the new cable through on its own? Cat6 is pretty stiff and can be pushed a fair distance.

If it's really tight Cat5e might fit where Cat6 doesn't.

Caporegime
OP
Caporegime
OP
Have you tried pushing the new cable through on its own? Cat6 is pretty stiff and can be pushed a fair distance.

If it's really tight Cat5e might fit where Cat6 doesn't.

I haven't, but I figured if I can't get a pull wire through on its own which is thinner then I doubt I'd get any CAT6 through without any assisntance.

Also, if I can't use this CAT6. I have 76m doing nothing :p

---

Alternatively, I am willing to drill through the walls where necessary and run lengths of conduit along my apartment, but thats a last resort :p

Soldato
You could try the plastic bag method - if you have both ends of the duct or pipe showing get a small plastic bag like sandwich bag - tie piece of good string to the bag handles -poke bag in pipe/duct then go to the other end and put a vacuum cleaner over hole and see if it sucks bag along - This does work on bigger pipes but never done it on small stuff - your problem might be a 90 deg bend and there is a way of joining cables together so they pull. - Also never just pull the cable through -feed and pull.

Soldato
Ferrets. We used to use ferrets, don't see why you can't now.

In all seriousness though, string-thinner cable-cat6. Mastering the overlap join that can bend is valuable.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions. The plastic bag method sounds interesting but I think the channel might be too small for that.

Also was trying this with a mate, using push-pull. I am thinking of ordering the above tool I linked as its a metal strip/wire...I feel it will have less give and could be successful. I am happy to try Cat 5e but I need to get the pull-wire through first, which I am struggling with.

Soldato
If you go in from both ends you should be able to identify where the snag point is (and ensure that there's only one). Then go digging and repair it afterwards.

Caporegime
OP
If you go in from both ends you should be able to identify where the snag point is (and ensure that there's only one). Then go digging and repair it afterwards.
Thanks but this won't happen. I am not willing to dig up the floor boards and go looking for it. Its not worth the time & effort I don't think. These channels are handy and great if I can use it...but if I can't, then well, so be it :)

Back
Top Bottom