New build - Crossfire Advice Needed

Associate
Hi all, fairly new here and built a PC a few years ago and have been wanting to build again.

I just recently acquired a 2nd hand Gigabyte Windforce R9 280 3GB for a bargain and have recently come across another one but this time a Gigabyte Windforce R9 280X and holding back until I get some advice, I don't know a lot about crossfire but I'd like to run 2 of these cards for extra performance, would I encounter any issues of some sort? I've also been offered a cheap RX580 8gb but I was thinking surely this would bottleneck paired with a much older card?

Here's my build spec:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: HyperX D4 3200Mhz 16gb (2x8gb)
PSU: Corsair RX650x
CASE: Corsair Spec-05
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
HDD: Seagate 1tb
SSD: Drevo X1 Pro 256gb
GPU: Windforce R9 280 + (planned) Windforce R9 280x
Fans: Corsair AF120 x 3

Soldato
Crossfire/SLI has always depended heavily on drivers being tweaked for games to get performance extra.
Obviously that's more than little extra work for GPU maker... for very small user base.
So Crossfire/SLI has been pretty much drifting dead on water for couple years.

Also DirectX12 made it game developer's job to utilize multiple GPUs.
And you can guess how much average game developers want to sink money into supporting them.

And in newer heavier games that 3GB is quite little.
Multiple cards don't increase effective memory size.
Single newer card is simply lot better.
Navi could bring some proper price competition later in summer/fall.

Soldato
You can't use the 280x with the RX 580, but I would advise you to go for the 580 anyway. The 280x is TOO OLD & can't scale properly anymore, and whatever gains you gain from crossfire will only at best RIVAL the RX 580. I'm not one of these "crossfire sux never do it" people, but in this case it makes no sense because the performance & value on 570/580s are too good.

Today, it makes no sense to consider CF for anything lower than a Vega 56.

Associate
Your first concern will be PSU, as 650w is not really ideal for crossfire. It generally should be ok but can easily get out of control when any OC of the CPU or GPUs.

CF has too many variables and bumps to be considered a option for a "good" gaming setup. In all I would personally only consider that 2nd R9 280 if it was like.... £50. But even then a used RX 580 would still be better or a new one with free games

Associate
OP
Crossfire/SLI has always depended heavily on drivers being tweaked for games to get performance extra.
Obviously that's more than little extra work for GPU maker... for very small user base.
So Crossfire/SLI has been pretty much drifting dead on water for couple years.

Also DirectX12 made it game developer's job to utilize multiple GPUs.
And you can guess how much average game developers want to sink money into supporting them.

And in newer heavier games that 3GB is quite little.
Multiple cards don't increase effective memory size.
Single newer card is simply lot better.
Navi could bring some proper price competition later in summer/fall.

You can't use the 280x with the RX 580, but I would advise you to go for the 580 anyway. The 280x is TOO OLD & can't scale properly anymore, and whatever gains you gain from crossfire will only at best RIVAL the RX 580. I'm not one of these "crossfire sux never do it" people, but in this case it makes no sense because the performance & value on 570/580s are too good.

Today, it makes no sense to consider CF for anything lower than a Vega 56.

Your first concern will be PSU, as 650w is not really ideal for crossfire. It generally should be ok but can easily get out of control when any OC of the CPU or GPUs.

CF has too many variables and bumps to be considered a option for a "good" gaming setup. In all I would personally only consider that 2nd R9 280 if it was like.... £50. But even then a used RX 580 would still be better or a new one with free games

Thanks for your advice everyone, heavily appreciated indeed.

In response to all of you, it's rather ironic that you speak of the RX580 card as I've not long spoken to an old school pal who reckons his friend has a used Asus RX580 for sale @ £95 which sounds too good to be true...

As for the PSU, PC Part Picker told me 559w altogether, I guess it's wrong or?

Should I go for that card then and attempt to sell my Windforce 3 R9 280 OC? Maybe I took a bit of a noob dive going for 2 cards but it seemed a good idea at the time, I got this card for a steal at £40 and it was tested at a shop and working fine but this other card is going for £60. I was slightly 50/50 on the matter and appreciate the feedback heavily.

Man of Honour
Ditch crossfire. It has, for all intents, gone the way of the dodo. Better to get the single best GPU you can afford. Also less hassle with compatibility and stutter issues by going single GPU.

Back
Top Bottom