• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Not that it means much to me at the moment , as I have no hardware to utilise the standard and likely won't untill new PCI-e SSDs show up with the standard but if Asus do not release bios updates for PCI-e 4.0 on X470 and gigabyte do than in future I'll no longer use Asus in my builds. Between their poor excuse for after sale support , RMA process and overall tax on hardware and then on top lack of legacy support on hardware this would be it's finally outing in my PC.

Associate
* I'll only use a computer I can't hear
* Small fans are never silent
* Usually a small fan can be replaced with a large heatsink, it just costs more.

I could just mod a board but then the warranty goes out of the window, so I'd much rather buy something engineered to work ok without active cooling. I value silence over PCIe 4.0, so probably have B series to play with and can always fall back to a previous gen motherboard, it'd just be nice to have my cake & eat it.

Soldato
I've been following this thread with interest as I always planned on upgrading my 4770k systems on release. Probably to a 3700x. However I've used Afterburner recently and it is showing my 1070ti is holding back my 4770k slightly! Games like Division 2 and Wildlands hover at about 90% GPU and 70% CPU over the 8 wellbl used threads.

This is not quite maxed settings and CPU at stock clocks and undervolted. But I am having second thoughts on upgrading straightforward away!

Caporegime
It is better with active cooling, just realised that the older chipsets are covered with plastics and LEDs which don't contribute at all for proper cooling.
I had an Asus board (many, many years ago) with a tiny heatsink and a tiny (loud) fan.

The fan died after a couple years (tiny fans doing ridiculous RPM are hard on the bearings). Replaced the fan and tiny, ineffective heatsink with a proper, finned heatsink (also bigger).

The mobo continued to work but from then on, silently :p

Obvs you need some fans, and personally I don't think I'd ever run a system with a fanless PSU, for example... but chipset fans are far from essential.

Associate
My pc sits in a cupboard in my lounge so i dont hear it much when its on, which is all the time.
It has more fans in it than a rock concert, ironic considering its water on the cpu. I have 6 fans on the rad for a push/pull setup ...cos... i can.
Plus loads more, i just shut the door and its nearly silent so a piddly wee fan on the chipset aint going to bother me. That said i doubt they will all come with one and its hardly difficult to mod it to be silent.

Soldato
I've been following this thread with interest as I always planned on upgrading my 4770k systems on release. Probably to a 3700x. However I've used Afterburner recently and it is showing my 1070ti is holding back my 4770k slightly! Games like Division 2 and Wildlands hover at about 90% GPU and 70% CPU over the 8 wellbl used threads.

This is not quite maxed settings and CPU at stock clocks and undervolted. But I am having second thoughts on upgrading straightforward away!

Yeah I think a 1070ti is about the last card not to be held back with those gens.

Permabanned
* Small fans are never silent

Laptop fans are small and when they rotate at normal speeds, they are barely audible. It's a pleasant noise, not a unpleasant noise. You know that it works and it's cooled.

* Usually a small fan can be replaced with a large heatsink, it just costs more.

Aluminum heatsinks with copper pipes cost more than small fans. Cost more and efficiency down.

Soldato
Laptop fans are small and when they rotate at normal speeds, they are barely audible. It's a pleasant noise, not a unpleasant noise. You know that it works and it's cooled.
Ew, no. My partner as a brand new work laptop and its fan is constantly going and even at a slow speed it's annoying as hell. No excuse for tiny chipset fans these days, it's just a bad move from AMD and/or the motherboard manufacturers, this.

Permabanned
Ew, no. My partner as a brand new work laptop and its fan is constantly going and even at a slow speed it's annoying as hell. No excuse for tiny chipset fans these days, it's just a bad move from AMD and/or the motherboard manufacturers, this.

Sorry to hear this. I don't think it's normal. What are you doing with the laptop to cause its fans to spin all the time? Normally, the fans begin to rotate when you load the CPU or GPU a lot.
For a comparison, my Acer Nitro 5 is perfect in this regard, I hear the fans maybe not more than 5 times a day, and they become audible for no more than 5-10 seconds.

Which is your laptop's brand and make? I would try to write to their support for new BIOS/firmware, and then RMA if not helps.

Associate
Soooo, cheap 2600 now, or wait for 3xxx. Tbh don't really play modern FPS. Aggressive word processing and excel with the odd RTS/strategy game here and there at 1440p UW...

Advice appreciated!

Associate
Just bought a Dell 3000 2500U 8gb 256gb SSD laptop for work (had a budget to work to) and for most of the time its amazing. Way better than my 6 yr old Acer i3 laptop. Only thing is I transferred about 3gb of data from my old laptop via USB 2 and flash drive and the fans went very loud for about 10 minutes and took another 5 or so minutes to spin down. No big deal I guess but was a little surprised by the fan noise TBH.

Associate
Soooo, cheap 2600 now, or wait for 3xxx. Tbh don't really play modern FPS. Aggressive word processing and excel with the odd RTS/strategy game here and there at 1440p UW...

Advice appreciated!

Advice appreciated!

I'd buy the 2600 TBH. You can pair it with a decent B450 motherboard or if you've got some money a decent X470. Comes with a cooler so you're good to go. For what you use it for not worth waiting for Zen 2. Plus any mobo you buy now will support Ryzen chips until 2020 so you've got an upgrade path. I've just bought a 2700 with an Asus Prime X470 Pro and it already has a new bios for Zen 2. Happy days.

Associate

Aluminum heatsinks with copper pipes cost more than small fans. Cost more and efficiency down.

If you're happy with a little white noise, good for you. I've had an entirely inaudible PC for the last 15 years or so, not interested in going back. Different people, different priorities. Hopefully there will be boards for everyone.

Soldato

Advice appreciated!

Literally 8 days to go until they launch/release details about the Zen2 (Ryzen 3000) CPU's, wait and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you end up buying the 2600 anyhow and probably for less than it is this week. :)

Associate
Literally 8 days to go until they launch/release details about the Zen2 (Ryzen 3000) CPU's, wait and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you end up buying the 2600 anyhow and probably for less than it is this week. :)

Yeah, that's what I'm waiting on, before I upgrade my i2500k.
Depending on the prices, and if pre-orders start, I might wait it out, or get 2700x or 2600.

Associate
Yeah, that's what I'm waiting on, before I upgrade my i2500k.
Depending on the prices, and if pre-orders start, I might wait it out, or get 2700x or 2600.

Yup similar here. I'd like to think I'll go with my head and buy the last gen at a steep discount, but self aware enough to realise I'll probably end up chucking another few hundred pounds at new and shiny.

Associate
Yup similar here. I'd like to think I'll go with my head and buy the last gen at a steep discount, but self aware enough to realise I'll probably end up chucking another few hundred pounds at new and shiny.

Yeah, with my proper head on, get the last gen cpu, or $$$ and spend more on the nice and shiny new gen cpu :D

Associate

That's what I kinda think. can get 2600 and Mobo for around £200 w/ a couple of games to trade in vs getting excited over latest clock speeds which prob wont make any difference for my usage

Back
Top Bottom