DIY Lamb Doner-Binding

Don
The size of that knife :D:D
Yea, I must admit that carving was a little tricky as I only had that little door way to slice through. I felt the part though :p
Maaaaaan i need one of them kebab cooker thingys :eek:

I think I only paid about £50 for it and it came with a load of different skewers to cook smaller pieces of meat or roast whole joints. I've got a gas one too but it struggled to get hot enough - I was told I need some sort of adapter like commercial gas cookers have to let more gas through.

Don
But they're rubbish, chucked my down the tip last year. Just don't get hot enough. Need at least two heating elements I reckon.
I've not used it in a while but mine wasn't too bad - maybe blow torching it from the open side might help? I do want to sort the gas one out to give that another try though.

I had a horizontal rotating skewer thing to go over the top of the bbq but the meat kept slipping and wouldn't rotate.

Soldato
I tried the sous vide method and it worked brilliantly. Recipe as above with extra salt, pulsed to mix in a food processor then rolled it up and vacuum sealed before cooking at 63c for 3 hours. I then chilled it, sliced it and finished under the grill. Even my non-kebab loving other half went back for seconds which is pretty much the biggest endorsement I could give it.

Soldato
OP
I've since done a re-run, with added salt... came out a treat, I onle mixed by hand though, likely gives a much coarser texture? Held up well though and certainly on the cards for the upcoming BBQ season

FTM

FTM

Soldato
hairy bikers have a recipe as well in one of their dieters books..they add a couple of blitzed lamb leg steaks to the mince mix for a bit extra meatiness

Soldato
Going to give it ago this weekend.

500g minced lamb
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp salt

Going to blend it together in the food processor to get a smoother consistency, not sure how to cook it yet i don't have a bread tin. Possibly in one the the many glass food containers i have. Then slice it as thin as i can and maybe a quick finish in a cast iron skillet in the pizza oven.

To go with it plenty of salad and some breads.

250g strong flour
7g yeast
20g nigella seeds
1 tsp salt
160ml water
2 tsp olive oil

Make these in the pizza oven should only take 2 minutes to cook.

Caporegime
Had it in oven for 1 hour at 100 degrees so far.

What you guys reckon for time and heat? I dont really want to wait 4 hours tbh.

Was thinking of cracking to 120c and doing another hour.

If it's going to be cut then finished off under grill or fried then should be fine?

Soldato
Had it in oven for 1 hour at 100 degrees so far.

What you guys reckon for time and heat? I dont really want to wait 4 hours tbh.

Was thinking of cracking to 120c and doing another hour.

If it's going to be cut then finished off under grill or fried then should be fine?
I just put it in at about 160 four about 45 minutes.

Caporegime
I just put it in at about 160 four about 45 minutes.

i noticed oregano in your recipe. it wasn't in the OP's but it's in a lot of youtube videos. i've always associated it with italian tbh. i never put any in mine. it's came out the oven looking great. but not tasted it yet in the fridge now. will cut it up tomorrow and then grill to finish crisp the slices up.

Back
Top Bottom