Proton Mail - Anyone use it?

Soldato
I'm thinking of signing up to Proton Mail but I don't know much about it. Does anyone here use and if so could you recommend it? What is it like to use on a daily basis? I think I could get away with using the free plan but I'm also interested in hearing about the paid plans.

Soldato
I use the free version on PC and Android. It has everything you want from a basic email service. No frills, but what they do, they do it well. Swiss attention to detail is obvious. The phone app doesn't update too often, unlike, say, Firefox.

Soldato
OP
I use the free version on PC and Android. It has everything you want from a basic email service. No frills, but what they do, they do it well. Swiss attention to detail is obvious. The phone app doesn't update too often, unlike, say, Firefox.

I decided to sign up for a free account because I wouldn't lose anything and after playing around with it for a bit, I like it. Plus I didn't realise they also had a free plan for their VPN service, so that is a win as well. When my current VPN plan runs out, I'll upgrade to ProtonVPN and probably upgrade the email account as well.

Soldato
I decided to sign up for a free account because I wouldn't lose anything and after playing around with it for a bit, I like it. Plus I didn't realise they also had a free plan for their VPN service, so that is a win as well. When my current VPN plan runs out, I'll upgrade to ProtonVPN and probably upgrade the email account as well.

I didn't spot that. I always assume these invitations are a loss leader so I don't pay much attention. I blame Avast AV for that... they let you use it for free but try to get you to accidentally sign up at every turn.

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll have some of that :cool:

Soldato
OP
I didn't spot that. I always assume these invitations are a loss leader so I don't pay much attention. I blame Avast AV for that... they let you use it for free but try to get you to accidentally sign up at every turn.

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll have some of that :cool:

Change of topic but are you a Jeeves and Wooster fan by any chance? :)

Soldato
Another free user here. Initially I only got it to trial out sending encrypted work emails as their paid service is quite competitive but ended up keeping it for another personal email account. works well enough on iOS

Soldato
OP
I've been enjoying this over the last few days, and I think I'm going to upgrade to the Visionary package as it will meet my needs for a specific project I have in mind.

Soldato
OP
It seems that ProtonVPN has its own Tor servers. I've only played around with it once, but it does seem to make accessing Tor websites much faster. I'll have a proper play around in the next couple of days. The real questions I have is whether it uses a VPN to the first Tor node and then uses Tor from that point on so your ISP can't see you using Tor.

Back
Top Bottom