Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
How did the race go for you today?
Really enjoyed it. First 17k or so we're fine and very much at the timing I wanted however hip started to be painfull so struggled the last handful of k. Finishing in 2 hour 19. Furthest I ever ran prior to this was over 10 years ago in my early 20s when I ran 10mile so really happy with this. Hips not sore now just sore nipples =/
Might enter some 10k races as I can run that at an alright pace l.
The first back did it in 1 hour 9 which is just crazy

Caporegime
Any tips on new shoes?

I'm recovering from some back issues and (sadly) running helps. I kinda fancy training for a marathon. I've been using my Nike free runs recently. But I've started pushing up to 10k and my feet are in agony now. I think I want/need something a bit more giving.

I've seen asics gel 21s and Brook ghosts 11s come well recommended.

But is there anything more budget oriented?

Not adverse to spending £100ish if its worth it though.

Underboss
Any tips on new shoes?

I'm recovering from some back issues and (sadly) running helps. I kinda fancy training for a marathon. I've been using my Nike free runs recently. But I've started pushing up to 10k and my feet are in agony now. I think I want/need something a bit more giving.

I've seen asics gel 21s and Brook ghosts 11s come well recommended.

But is there anything more budget oriented?

Not adverse to spending £100ish if its worth it though.

just goto a running shop that does gait analysis and buy those shoes they recommend
that's what i did 8 months ago when i started running (i have a bad back and had to give up Cycling)

Caporegime
just goto a running shop that does gait analysis and buy those shoes they recommend
that's what i did 8 months ago when i started running (i have a bad back and had to give up Cycling)

Also sold my road bike.

Yeah I shall have a look at what's around I just loathe paying double the price. Though I do accept I should pay for recommendations etc.

Soldato
To be honest a lot of the shops aren’t much more than online.

I went to a place called Runners Need and there’s not many places cheaper.
The nearest running shop to me, Pure Running in Belfast, is slightly more expensive than online stores but I don't mind keeping a local business going.

In regards to my own running, I did a 10km race on Friday night starting at a local track then onto the roads in a posh and leafy bit of Belfast before going onto the towpath along the River Lagan. At the end of the towpath, there was the "Hill from Hell" before running back onto the track. It was a lovely sunny evening and warm but I really really struggled with the race. It was just short of a 10km and even then I was some 2-4mins off my PB.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2375497006

The following day I did a 17km (longest run to date) from Lisburn to Belfast. The route was on the main roads to Belfast until I got to Ormeau Embankment and then along River Lagan. The run felt really good although I was getting pretty tired towards the end of it, and my hips started to feel sore from the pounding but otherwise, I was happy with it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2376706092

Last edited:
Soldato
Feels like my stamina is slowly returning. Did 3.5 miles this morning and only ended up stopping around half way on a hill.

What i have noticed when looking at times afterwards is my "natural" pace seems quicker than it used to be. I think that must explain why my CV system is struggling a little more. I don't physically feel like i'm running faster than i used to, probably down to increased mileage in the run up to the marathon.

Hopefully i can continue that and build upon it. I'm away at a festival this weekend or it would've been nice to get a ~6 mile run in. Might try and tackle it the weekend after (on account of my body will need about a week recovery from boozing :p)

Back
Top Bottom