• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen = Sandybridge IPC

Permabanned
what like jake paul ? anything that makes you click on the video works. doesnt have to be good true just so you click it. a few pc nerds wont out of principle most will. even most of those nerds to see if he does something wrong in his next video so it can be pointed out. pie chart style. so he has a new audience now and will get more subs and views regardless. its worked for him. we are in a tech forum discussing his videos right now. he has done what he set out to be achieved. surely you can see this .

I don't click. But even if I did, the click has no value, whatsoever.

Associate
He has already posted another video which includes revised results that are closer to what everyone expected. Whether or not he did this as a marketing ploy is up for debate, what with the new Ryzen lineup having so much hype. I would say he just messed up, as it doesn't really shine him in a good light. What's weird is that quite a few people said his other IPC tests were very good (I haven't seen them, though).

As they say though, any exposure is good exposure.

Some got duped out of ignorance or some biased view. Even members of this forum.

Caporegime
or some knew and fell for a obvious bait video. too many people get far too involved . humbug came out with a whole maths folder of diagrams charts benchmarks. i dont get why so many cant see the obvious. look at the title of the thread its a daily mail headline.

Associate
For IPC that video was definitely off but I do recall my brother's disappointment when going from a 2500K to an 1800X where he saw minimal gains in the games he played. However that's because there was something wrong with that setup, he couldn't ever figure it out but it never reached the performance it should have (comparing to CPUz reference scores and those in Firestrike etc). He bought it after buying and returning an 8700K which was a poor chip (very hot and minimal overclocking capability, plus he wasn't happing delidding). He eventually sold the 1800X and purchased a 2700X and is now very happy with it and seeing the expected performance which offered a solid boost over the 2500K.

Man of Honour
For IPC that video was definitely off but I do recall my brother's disappointment when going from a 2500K to an 1800X where he saw minimal gains in the games he played. However that's because there was something wrong with that setup, he couldn't ever figure it out but it never reached the performance it should have (comparing to CPUz reference scores and those in Firestrike etc). He bought it after buying and returning an 8700K which was a poor chip (very hot and minimal overclocking capability, plus he wasn't happing delidding). He eventually sold the 1800X and purchased a 2700X and is now very happy with it and seeing the expected performance which offered a solid boost over the 2500K.

I had 1-2 instances kind of like that with 1700 builds I did for people - something just not right but replacement CPU worked fine - I don't think it is a completely unheard of story with the 1700/1800 probably some kind of random manufacturing defect but I don't really keep up on that side of things.

Soldato
If you search you will see people have some older motherboards which clock down to 2.2ghz once you start messing about with settings. I actually was able to get this to happen with an earlier board until a bios fix came.

I bet he's on some old bios which doesn't play nicely with the underclocking he was doing.

Just google "Ryzen stuck 2.2ghz".

https://www.google.com/search?q=ryzen+stuck+at+2.2ghz

Last edited:
Associate
If you search you will see people have some older motherboards which clock down to 2.2ghz once you start messing about with settings. I actually was able to get this to happen with an earlier board until a bios fix came.

I bet he's on some old bios which doesn't play nicely with the underclocking he was doing.

Just google "Ryzen stuck 2.2ghz".

https://www.google.com/search?q=ryzen+stuck+at+2.2ghz

That issue did not affect RAM performance. After seeing the Aida results i stopped watching. It was way off.

Associate
I had 1-2 instances kind of like that with 1700 builds I did for people - something just not right but replacement CPU worked fine - I don't think it is a completely unheard of story with the 1700/1800 probably some kind of random manufacturing defect but I don't really keep up on that side of things.

It was actually a 1700 thinking about it. But yes, he was clearly just unlucky (which is sadly typical of him, his 2500K setup gave him loads of grief early on).

Soldato
I'm struggling to justify an upgrade from my i7 3930k to the new Ryzen platform. The 3930k is still serving me really well....someone help me find the new tech itch that I want to scratch :p I really want to go all AMD and to dump Intel once and for all.

Caporegime
if it does whats needed why upgrade there is defintely a big difference to what you have now in games for eg. just depends if you will benefit from it or be happy with the upgrade.your cpu to a top intel for eg can in some games be upto 40-50 fps difference. so yes there is big differences to be had in many areas.

Caporegime
if it does whats needed why upgrade there is defintely a big difference to what you have now in games for eg. just depends if you will benefit from it or be happy with the upgrade.your cpu to a top intel for eg can in some games be upto 40-50 fps difference. so yes there is big differences to be had in many areas.

Out of 400... so no not really a big difference.

Caporegime
So, just for the sake of clarity, the whole thing was a load of crap?

Reports that the hype train had jumped the tracks and plummeted down a cliff, into lava, then exploded in a nuclear mushroom cloud that blacked out the sun... they weren't true?

Man of Honour
I'm struggling to justify an upgrade from my i7 3930k to the new Ryzen platform. The 3930k is still serving me really well....someone help me find the new tech itch that I want to scratch :p I really want to go all AMD and to dump Intel once and for all.

I kind of wish I bought a 6/12 skt.2011 CPU but to be fair I'm yet to feel like my 4820K is holding me back - definitely got my money worth out of this system.

Soldato
So, just for the sake of clarity, the whole thing was a load of crap?

Reports that the hype train had jumped the tracks and plummeted down a cliff, into lava, then exploded in a nuclear mushroom cloud that blacked out the sun... they weren't true?

Disabling Cool N Quiet and Global C-States fixed the issue (bad performance with SMT enabled) for him, and then he got the right numbers. That's it, really.

Back
Top Bottom