Google apparently suspending some business with Huawei.

Soldato
Wouldn't make any difference outside of China. Europe and US markets will forget about the brand even more than they already are in the mainstream eye. Without Play Store and Google services onboard, any Android phone is as good as a paperweight. This also applies for existing phones like the P30 pro, Mate 20 Pro etc, as future OS updates will omit those apps and services that are Google closed source.

It potentially affects all Chinese brands though as the law is more about how Chinese and US firms can share tech,so it could be extended to other firms. Huawei was the first recipient of the new law.For instance BBK which covers One Plus,Oppo and Vivo has very limited presence in the US and Europe for 2 of the three brands which sell the most.Their total share just for Oppo and Vivo is as much as that of Huawei and is predominantly outside the EU and the US.

833651001548740855.JPG

HWLwyyU.jpg

Chinese firms make up over 50% of the smartphone market alone,especially in larger developing markets like Asia,etc.

These markets have far less exposure to expensive smartphones,so if Chinese firms get banned one by one,its basically large sections of the world which get affected.

Caporegime
Well that's the tradewar escalation for ya. Pretty gutted I wonder how long it will take to go live. Thought that spending 499 quid on a p20pro was a good investment a year back. Oops.

Soldato
I'm more worried about the backdoors that the American government have put in American created devices and open source software. We know they have done this from experience.

Soldato
Taken from the Google owned twitter account:

@Android: For Huawei users' questions regarding our steps to comply w/ the recent US government actions: We assure you while we are complying with all US gov't requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device.

Soldato
This also applies for existing phones like the P30 pro, Mate 20 Pro etc, as future OS updates will omit those apps and services that are Google closed source.

if I had one of those phones today, I'd immutable looks to sell it on eBay or a phone recycling site before they are worth next to nothing.
Are you sure it applies to mate 30 /p20/30 series phones? Thought it was only upcoming phones that hadn't been released yet?

Caporegime
Taken from the Google owned twitter account:

@Android: For Huawei users' questions regarding our steps to comply w/ the recent US government actions: We assure you while we are complying with all US gov't requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device.

I hope this is true.

Selfish reasons. I can understand the China nonsense I think it's only going to get worse on a variety of products from now.

Soldato
Bare in mind, it says they will keep functioning, not that they will be updated.

At this point, as a Huawei owner, I'm really not sure what to make of it until we see in reality what it means.

Soldato
Funny how this was all about 5G Hardware vs Cisco and suddenly Google are forced to do this. Most affected users would, I would suspect decide to switch to Apple at some point rather than sticking to an Eastern made device since they can't differentiate between Chinese and Korean companies.

Huawei’s first generation of network infrastructure was found to be reverse engineered versions of Nokia, Ericsson and Cisco equipment. I remember a mate of mine who worked for T-Mobile UK at the time being told “Read Cisco model XXX manual, is same” by a Huawei engineer when he asked for details on a Huawei box being installed in T-Mo’s Borehamwood test facility.

Soldato
https://bzdww.com/article/141505/
Do you think that only this is ok? The answer is of course no, software developers need VS and other tools to develop, chip development is the same, also need EDA tools, ARM will also provide a lot of tools, these things are quite core.

Will ARM refuse to authorize Huawei?

No, ARM is a British company. It was acquired by Softbank in 2016. This year, ARM established a joint venture company in China, indicating that it still attaches great importance to the Chinese market. This emphasis is not just for collecting money. It is also very important that RISC-V has already threatened ARM in some areas. Do you remember the news of Xiaomi Songguo Electronics and Ali Zhongtian Micro-accelerated RISC-V CPU domestic commercialization process? The ARM Cortex-M0/M3 is free of license fees. What do you think is the reason?

RISC-V's two founders, John L. Hennessy and David A. Patterson, currently work for Google, respectively as the chairman of the Alphabet and Google researcher. If Google's Android decides to support RISC-V, it will be a great for Arm. Strike.

Without ARM's authorization, Huawei really can't make chips. Adding a paradoxical Huawei has no core technology . This is simply killing. Everything is possible in the future. If Android supports RISC-V, the open source architecture, there may be another scene.

so - USA ARM customers could choose to prefer Intel solutions, if Arm are seen as exporting to Huawei

Back
Top Bottom