Google apparently suspending some business with Huawei.

Soldato
It's quite possible that we may see a 3rd Chinese mobile Operating System as a collaboration between the other phone makers.

I don't think any chinese phone manufacturer will trust US companies to provide them with the goods and services that they want. The chinese companies will only become stronger as a result, not weaker imo.

According to this, over 42% of phone market is chinese.
https://www.statista.com/statistics...by-smartphone-vendors-since-4th-quarter-2009/

Couple that to the entire developing market that is new to the phone scene and they may have enough influence to make a new OS.

Strangely it may become that the US becomes isolated as everyone adopts the Chinese operating system and the US consumers are banned from using them (ironic isn't it?)

Associate
Absolutely adore my P30 Pro, best phone I have ever owned - then this news lands :mad:

Hope there is a workaround or fix of some kind, but it does not sound very promising.

Associate
Some of the news reporting isn't 100% clear or contradictory. I've noticed the latest PR release from Huawei states security updates will still be provided for existing devices.

Huawei will continue security support for Android smartphones

LONDON (Reuters) - Huawei said on Monday it would continue to provide security updates and services for its smartphones and tablets after being barred from Google updates to its Android operating system.

However in the BBC news piece their expert mentions that in 'quite the near future' security updates and updated Google Apps won't be available on Huawei phones. And Android Authority is stating something similar:

“Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app,” Reuters noted.

This effectively means no further Android security updates for devices new and old, including the recent P30 and P30 Pro, Mate 20 Pro, and many more.

As the owner of an Honor 10 (one year old to the day) it's a bit annoying but I might just bring forward upgrade plans if this going to get messy. It's a shame as it's generally been a solid phone for the money. Does also bring a new dynamic or checklist for looking at future Android devices; how likely to get banned by US Govt. and Google bar certain services.

Also seems as if other US tech companies are following suit:
https://www.androidauthority.com/intel-qualcomm-huawei-988011/

EDIT: OK I get it now, Huawei will have to use ASOP once security updates reach there. It's not being reported on all sites which meant I couldn't understand how security fixes would still be applied.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that's the tradewar escalation for ya. Pretty gutted I wonder how long it will take to go live. Thought that spending 499 quid on a p20pro was a good investment a year back. Oops.

Feel how I feel. Got 10 new Huawei P Smart 2019 a month or so ago for work.... Now I have to explain this

Soldato
I was thinking about this but what would be the reason for the return? Are we entitled to future os and security updates after purchase?

Depends if it's listed in the product information (on Argos or Huawei's site). I.e.

> 2 years of Android software updates

Or if they specifically list that you'll be able to get upgrade to the latest version of Android for x amount of time.

Soldato
I was thinking about this but what would be the reason for the return? Are we entitled to future os and security updates after purchase?
Yes it will be in the small print for the phone.

I think for instance Oneplus is 1 year updates, 3 years security patches. But not sure but it's definitely written somewhere.

Soldato
Huawei strarted planning the backup OS in 2012 (sailfish based ?), so they may have anticipated this in T&C's for android updates.

google were/had produced a specific search engine for china - will they abandon that revenue too ?

Soldato
This is basically a continuation of the current trade war going on between US and China, masquerading behind security concerns.

You know unless they produce that concrete evidence.

Back
Top Bottom