Another step towards 1984 - Government to decide where British citizens are allowed to travel

Associate
The issue comes from the fact a vast amount of extremists are travelling to hotspots under the guise of aid work, which was previously difficult to disprove. This law prevents that.

Some may believe we live in a dystopian society where the "da fascists" are around every corner ready to cart you away to the gulag. However we still operate in a society of high functioning personal liberties and process of law, so genuine travel will not be disrupted.

Soldato
I don’t care as I never want to go there anyway

That's not really the attitude to take though, it's a rather self centred and selfish attitude to only care about things that affect you personally.

"At first they came for..." etc

Hades has a problem with the principle of the issue, which is under discussion and whether this is Govt overreach or not.

Soldato
Horrible law under the guise of safety, I didn't want to visit but I would like to be free to be able to choose where I go/don't go

Not to mention what about people who wish to work out there and help rebuild what has been destroyed ? Will those people be banned from doing so ?

Also the irony is the majority who went over there to fight, didn't go straight to Syria they went via Turkey so unless government is going to ban people from going to all Middle East countries that border Syria then it's kind of pointless

Soldato
The Tories have never really been authoritarian, just a bit strict and a bit snobby. They love business, education, wealth and elitism too much to weild the iron fist.

Caporegime
That's not really the attitude to take though, it's a rather self centred and selfish attitude to only care about things that affect you personally.

"At first they came for..." etc

Hades has a problem with the principle of the issue, which is under discussion and whether this is Govt overreach or not.
I can’t care about everything that affects everybody. I haven’t got the time or energy. I don’t think it’s government overreach at all. It’s sensible to ban people from travelling to certain areas. It’s protection of government resources as well, as it’s the government that’s expected to assist these people when they travel to silly places and get in trouble.

Soldato
It’s sensible to ban people from travelling to certain areas. It’s protection of government resources as well, as it’s the government that’s expected to assist these people when they travel to silly places and get in trouble.

Okay so let's ban everyone from most of Africa, North Korea, China, Russia, the entire Middle East and South America because they all have equally silly places people can get in trouble :rolleyes:

Soldato
The government already stops people travelling to certain countries. Ask the football lads who are banned from football events, when it comes to international tournaments they are banned from travelling and have their passports taken off them for the duration of the tournament.

The precedent as already been set.

Man of Honour
It does say "ban travel to Syria without a legitimate reason" not a total ban per se.

So as much as I agree it sounds the typical Govt's sledgehammer to crack a nut approach to a problem, and people are complaining we have a problem, I'm not sure it's the descent into totalitarianism your title implies.

It's not really a casual holiday destination is it, apart from @MickeyFinns of course :p And I'm sure he can provide legitimate travel evidence.

Funny you should mention this! I'm taking a tour group into Syria next year so keeping a close eye on this legislation.

Caporegime
Okay so let's ban everyone from most of Africa, North Korea, China, Russia, the entire Middle East and South America because they all have equally silly places people can get in trouble :rolleyes:
None of those are at the level of Syria. These people go to places like Syria, if something happens and they are injured, need emergency medical treatment and evacuation, who pays for that if they can’t afford it?

Back
Top Bottom