NVME slowing down the graphic card, legend?

Associate
Hi Guys,

So I have managed to get 90% done of my new-ish build :) I bought a second m.2. SSD and realised my back port is only PCI, oh well will have to send it back!

However, reading around about NVME I see that on some forums they say it slows down the GPU port? Is that true? Again some other people say it uses a different PCIe controller on the motherboard, I am confused!

I wanted to get a second m.2 to get rid of my 1tb "old style" drive, my motherboard is an Asus z370i Mini Itx with an i7 8700k.

Thank you for the help!

Associate
OP

That's what my motherboard manual says so I guess I can add an NVME there... totally ignorant on the subject!

Edit:

"You have anouther 24pcie lanes from the chipset for things like nvme drivers, usb, wifi, network, and sata."

Maybe that answers the question?

Last edited:
Associate
Usually it depends on how the PCIE lanes are distributed depending on what is plugged in. In most cases graphics card slot only needs to drop down to 8X when other PCIE slots are used and since you only have 1 16X slot you should be fine. The lane assignment for you NVME drives will be coming from the chip set allocations.

Associate
OP
Yep I can answer that as eventually got a nice NMVE and as it is always the case with our platform a bunch of nonsense by people who reads nothing, on paper the PCI from southbridge made sense...

I have an NMVE M.2 + SSD M.2 and the graphic card isn't affected at all as it runs on same 16x also none of my SATA ports are disabled either...

Updating this one in case someone else come across the same doubts :)

Permabanned
Hi Guys,

So I have managed to get 90% done of my new-ish build :) I bought a second m.2. SSD and realised my back port is only PCI, oh well will have to send it back!

However, reading around about NVME I see that on some forums they say it slows down the GPU port? Is that true? Again some other people say it uses a different PCIe controller on the motherboard, I am confused!

I wanted to get a second m.2 to get rid of my 1tb "old style" drive, my motherboard is an Asus z370i Mini Itx with an i7 8700k.

Thank you for the help!

If you buy a PCIe adapter ( plugs in to a PCIe socket ) you can actually select the speed you want the drive to operate at by plugging it in to different sockets. Plug it in to a graphics card socket and it runs fast, plug it in to lesser sockets and it slows down. So really if you do that you can just try it then move it if you are having a problem.

Associate
OP
If you buy a PCIe adapter ( plugs in to a PCIe socket ) you can actually select the speed you want the drive to operate at by plugging it in to different sockets. Plug it in to a graphics card socket and it runs fast, plug it in to lesser sockets and it slows down. So really if you do that you can just try it then move it if you are having a problem.

"Asus z370i Mini Itx"

There is only one slot there and is a m.2. drive so it would hard to plug it anywhere than a M.2. port :p

Eventually I bought it and as mentioned above the whole "slowing down" is nonsense even on a miniITX board, the drive runs full speed on my m.2. without bothering the GPU which is on separate lanes... all this PCIe lanes is a nonsense from the CPU at least, 16 to the card from CPU is plenty considering SLI is dead.

Back
Top Bottom