What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Went round the bike checking all the terminals and cleaning with WD40. Found my CCTs were the OEM ones so I've got some manual ones on order. Softened the front forks off as there was next to no give in them. Still need to soften the shock yet. Then gave it a clean.

Took the baffles out to test and it's loud :D My next door neighbour is encouraging me to keep them out so they might have to come out.

Man of Honour
Well it was my bike for the day and I just got the photos:
egHFUeY.jpg

I'm well chuffed with that for my second track day, and now I'm seriously considering giving up road riding and just doing track days.

Soldato
Well it was my bike for the day and I just got the photos:

I'm well chuffed with that for my second track day, and now I'm seriously considering giving up road riding and just doing track days.

Great action shot! I do miss battering knee sliders - but should probably avoid that sort of action on the road, and save it for a track day - which I still haven't done after 12+ years of riding :D

Soldato

Changed the fork covers from White to Black, the replacement isn't exactly the same though as there is no allowance for the ABS sensor so had to cut out some of the plastic.

Not the tidiest of jobs but not really noticeable.

Soldato
Picking up a W reg SV650 tomorrow :D The Misses hates going on the back of the RS, so picked up a cheap bike for pillion jaunts - had a couple of hundred quid spent on it recently, but it's an unseen eBay jobby - so hopefully it'll be ok; might do a bit of work on the brakes and fluids as it's been sorn for a few years.

Looking forward to having a hack to abuse in the rubbish months and rainy days :)

Man of Honour
Picking up a W reg SV650 tomorrow :D The Misses hates going on the back of the RS, so picked up a cheap bike for pillion jaunts - had a couple of hundred quid spent on it recently, but it's an unseen eBay jobby - so hopefully it'll be ok; might do a bit of work on the brakes and fluids as it's been sorn for a few years.

Looking forward to having a hack to abuse in the rubbish months and rainy days :)

My wife found the SV650 to be one of the worst bikes for riding as a pillion. She sat really high on the bike and she hated that.

Associate
Rant

Went to put the VFR back together after getting and fitting the valve shims, all fitted, gaps are perfect, throw it all back together, 1 of the 4 cylinder head cover bolts feels like it's stretching before it's even near 10nm, so I pulled it, switched it with another, different bolt, same hole went in fine, so I put the one that felt like it was stretching in a different corner, and.... It sheared, at <10nm. The remnants of the bolt came out easy enough as it was barely more than finger tight, pop to Honda, the bolts are discontinued... Can no longer get them. Check David Silver spares, 2 week wait for them to get their hands on some. Fine, ordered, but now the KTM's rear wheel bearings have started grumbling, and it's a bank holiday weekend, no chance of getting bearings now until next week, and as the VFR is out of action for atleast 2 more weeks, I have to use the KTM for work. Damnit.

/Rant.

Associate
Rant

Went to put the VFR back together after getting and fitting the valve shims, all fitted, gaps are perfect, throw it all back together, 1 of the 4 cylinder head cover bolts feels like it's stretching before it's even near 10nm, so I pulled it, switched it with another, different bolt, same hole went in fine, so I put the one that felt like it was stretching in a different corner, and.... It sheared, at <10nm. The remnants of the bolt came out easy enough as it was barely more than finger tight, pop to Honda, the bolts are discontinued... Can no longer get them. Check David Silver spares, 2 week wait for them to get their hands on some. Fine, ordered, but now the KTM's rear wheel bearings have started grumbling, and it's a bank holiday weekend, no chance of getting bearings now until next week, and as the VFR is out of action for atleast 2 more weeks, I have to use the KTM for work. Damnit.

/Rant.

If it's only a cam cover bolt, I'd bodge that until the proper ones arrive!

Man of Honour
Fitted a new clutch basket to the blade. After 33k miles the springs in the back of the original basket were a little loose and the basket had a very unhonda like rattle.
It's all quiet again now, checked the original clutch plates whilst I was in there, all good.

https://flic.kr/p/2g2NoFR

How do you embed flickr images?
You say unhonda like but if you get a blackbird that doesn't sound like a bag of spanners until you pull the clutch in then you've found the holy grail :D

Soldato
You say unhonda like but if you get a blackbird that doesn't sound like a bag of spanners until you pull the clutch in then you've found the holy grail :D

Interesting, cheers for that, I've just had a quick Google and it seems to be the same problem. The springs in the back of the clutch basket develop a bit of free play and then rattles when the bike is in neutral.
I knew it wasn't doing any harm, just mildly irritating. A nos clutch basket appeared on eBay about 12 months ago for silly money so I bought it, it's taken until now to get around to changing it :D

Back
Top Bottom