• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
"This more or less confirms that PCIe 4.0 support will be available on existing AM4 boards but there’s a catch.

While there’s support for PCIe Gen 4.0 on current motherboards, it is only possible with the AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors using the Zen 2 core architecture and even then, only the first PCIe x16 slot is said to be compatible with Gen 4.0 speeds as that operates over the CPU PCI-Express lanes while the rest of the slots would still function over the PCH which are only PCIe 3.0 compliant and we can also expect a single M.2 port to run at PCIe 4 speeds. That’ll mostly vary from board to board."

https://wccftech.com/gigabyte-bios-update-pcie-4-am4-motherboards-amd-ryzen-3000-cpus/

Soldato
That's to be expected, earlier SB boards were like that where PCIe 3.0 was available for those who upgraded to IB, but only for the first slot controlled by the CPU, while the chipset's lanes were still PCIe 2.

Soldato
Noob question here but can someone explain what real-world benefit would I expect from having PCIe 4 over PCIe 3?

Very little to none, I guess if you wanted to run 2-3 NVME drives in a raid config it would help but your 'average' (one GPU, one NVM drive) Jo probably won't see any real-world benefit.

Associate
I'd buy the 2600 TBH. You can pair it with a decent B450 motherboard or if you've got some money a decent X470. Comes with a cooler so you're good to go. For what you use it for not worth waiting for Zen 2. Plus any mobo you buy now will support Ryzen chips until 2020 so you've got an upgrade path. I've just bought a 2700 with an Asus Prime X470 Pro and it already has a new bios for Zen 2. Happy days.

Well I bought the 2600 for 130 inc free games. Won’t open it and if zen 2 arrives, cheap and likely to be well stocked it can always go back unopened! Tbh I think you are right that for my use zen2 is unnecessary...

Soldato
https://www.techpowerup.com/255729/...-diagram-revealed-chipset-puts-out-pcie-gen-4

syRBzDMVv28opTuB.jpg

Soldato
^^ lame duck? Explain. With the briefest of glances it looks fine to me for a mainstream-level system.

2 GPUs get the equivalent of PCIe3 x16 each, 1 full speed M.2 drive off the CPU, another one off the PCH, a 3rd one at the expense of SATA by the looks of it, handful of x1 slots for whatever and some left over to wrangle together your USB and WiFi.

Soldato
It's an unofficial block diagram, let's not lose our heads guys.

PCIe 4 has bundles of bandwidth, there's the chipset too (also bandwidth doubled). Your WiFi cards are safe :p

Not sure what @Poneros is looking for tbh? Breaking compatibility with 3 and 4 series chipsets?

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom